Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a little confused so here it goes.

I have a 2013 Sport 2.0 with just over 60,000 miles. Dealer said that based on color of the differential fluid they recommend a front and rear differential service $299 cost. Seems expensive to me so I am going to check the price of that with a local shop. But I am confused is there a difference between automatic transaxle and automatic transmission? As I understand it the automatic transaxle combines the automatic transaxle and differential and the owner manual says that no service is required for Automatic Transaxle Fluid.

Leads me to second question. Is the automatic transmission a closed system? Again I am unsure of what the owner manual means that no service is required for the Automatic Transaxle Fluid. Does the transmission fluid need to be changed or flushed and at what mileage or number of years to do it?

·
Registered
396 Posts
For OEM SP4-M Hyundai fluid, you're paying about $13/qt and a good drain/fill will take 5.5qts (that's how much I got out of my '14 SFS) so ATF alone is about $80 plus about an hour of labor in the shop (call it $150-$200). At the same time you're spilling that, you're draining the diff (no experience on that since I have FWD) but that fluid is probably not Hyundai specific and should be relatively cheap. Automatic Transaxle = Automatic Transmission and it is a closed system. Filter is internal so there is no filter to change.

So $299 doesn't seem unreasonable BUT I along with many others have done their own drain/fill ATF service with about $20 worth of MaxLife ATF fluid (or a bit more for Amsoil). It is almost as easy as an oil change but if you trust that your trans was filled with correct amount, you can just add what you took out and not have to worry about level check procedure which involves getting fluid to come to correct temp and checking level. Either way, not rocket science. Definitely recommend doing a drain/fill by 60k and will not mess up your warranty, quality of life... etc.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
I am a little confused so here it goes.

I have a 2013 Sport 2.0 with just over 60,000 miles. Dealer said that based on color of the differential fluid they recommend a front and rear differential service $299 cost. Seems expensive to me so I am going to check the price of that with a local shop. But I am confused is there a difference between automatic transaxle and automatic transmission? As I understand it the automatic transaxle combines the automatic transaxle and differential and the owner manual says that no service is required for Automatic Transaxle Fluid.

Leads me to second question. Is the automatic transmission a closed system? Again I am unsure of what the owner manual means that no service is required for the Automatic Transaxle Fluid. Does the transmission fluid need to be changed or flushed and at what mileage or number of years to do it?
from your post it sounds like they are doing service on the differentials and yes there is a front and rear. I did those services myself at around 60k and found the fluid to be very clean and by appearances to be in good shape, they take about 1.5 qts of heavy weight gear fluid. Not a bad idea to have it done but to inspect the fluid you have to remove the fill plug or drain plug to get a sample - I'd be highly suspicious that the dealer actually did that, I would have asked to see the sample. Myself I'd be more inclined to do an atf fluid service at 60k, I did mine at close to 80k and the fluid was a medium shade of brown so a reasonably good time to do the service - the condition of the fluid is directly impacted by vehicle useage - ie severe use degrades fluid more rapidly.

·
Registered
455 Posts
bossfan $299.00 u.s dollars is not really outrages. when i did my rear differential & front transaxle i filled it using 75w90 Royal Purple MaxGear oil 2 bottles were $90.00 Canadian changing the transmission fluid bought 12 bottles of Hyundai's ATF $15.00 a liter for 3 drain & fills at a cost of $180.00 total added up to be $270.00 Canadian and thats me doing all the work. You can use the Royal Purple MaxGear over the oem wich i think is better. but definatley use the oem ATF fluid in the transmission.

·
Registered
5 Posts
bossfan $299.00 u.s dollars is not really outrages. when i did my rear differential & front transaxle i filled it using 75w90 Royal Purple MaxGear oil 2 bottles were $90.00 Canadian changing the transmission fluid bought 12 bottles of Hyundai's ATF $15.00 a liter for 3 drain & fills at a cost of $180.00 total added up to be $270.00 Canadian and thats me doing all the work. You can use the Royal Purple MaxGear over the oem wich i think is better. but definatley use the oem ATF fluid in the transmission.
My Santa Fe 2014 has 65 000 km and I would like not only to drain and fill ATF, but remove the transmission pan, clean the magnets inside and replace the transmission filter. I would like to find out before I remove the pan, that the trans. filter in Santa Fe 2014 is serviceable. In another words, I heard that older generations had a filter deep inside the transmission that could not be replaced without taking the transmission apart.
I replaced transmission fluid on Toyota a few times, and really, I felt much healthier after cleaning all the dirt inside the pan.

I would like to know if somebody drooped the trans. pan, and if the filter is right on the bottom on the transmission.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hyundayi's ATF in Canada is very expensive - over $20 p/qt and it is not even synthetic. I am thinking to switch to full synthetic Valvoline Max life. It cost in Walmart $32.99 and according to the Valvomax is compatible with Hyundai's OEM. i have read that it gives even more protection due to its full synthetic formula.
What is your opinion, guys?

·
Registered
455 Posts
when I drained and filled my tranny I used only Genuine Hyundai ATF You might get away using a universal fits all one size fluid for all makes & models like Max life ATF but why? risk it.? on such an expensive component like a transmision you rely on for the life span of the vehicle.?

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Hyundayi's ATF in Canada is very expensive - over $20 p/qt and it is not even synthetic. I am thinking to switch to full synthetic Valvoline Max life. It cost in Walmart $32.99 and according to the Valvomax is compatible with Hyundai's OEM. i have read that it gives even more protection due to its full synthetic formula.
What is your opinion, guys?
Predatory pricing in the extreme for Hyundai ATF, I used (as numerous other posters have) Valvoline Maxlife ATF, the viscosity is a good match for Hyundai's ATF and I cannot discern any difference in tranny operation. Hyundai's fluid is possibly engineered to provide a longer change interval than Valvoline fluid, but many don't buy into the so called "lifetime fluid" and change it periodically. I will say that when I changed my oem fluid at around 72k miles it was still in good shape. And yes in theory synthetic fluid may last longer than a non synthetic formula , but I wouldn't base a use decision on that premise alone.
I would compare Hyundai's ATF pricing as a rip off similar to posts questioning the value of a dealer's fuel system service, adding a bottle of Hyundai fuel system cleaner for $80 or so, when techron can be bought for $6 .
ATF is one of the few remaining areas where a mfg can claim some unique and specific properties and use an inflated pricing scheme, but Hyundai has applied the same predatory pricing principle to their recommended use of a specific NGK spark plug, but like ATF fluid at least in the USA market they can't specifically require use of their part to maintain warranty.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Predatory pricing in the extreme for Hyundai ATF, I used (as numerous other posters have) Valvoline Maxlife ATF, the viscosity is a good match for Hyundai's ATF and I cannot discern any difference in tranny operation. Hyundai's fluid is possibly engineered to provide a longer change interval than Valvoline fluid, but many don't buy into the so called "lifetime fluid" and change it periodically. I will say that when I changed my oem fluid at around 72k miles it was still in good shape. And yes in theory synthetic fluid may last longer than a non synthetic formula , but I wouldn't base a use decision on that premise alone.
I would compare Hyundai's ATF pricing as a rip off similar to posts questioning the value of a dealer's fuel system service, adding a bottle of Hyundai fuel system cleaner for $80 or so, when techron can be bought for $6 .
ATF is one of the few remaining areas where a mfg can claim some unique and specific properties and use an inflated pricing scheme, but Hyundai has applied the same predatory pricing principle to their recommended use of a specific NGK spark plug, but like ATF fluid at least in the USA market they can't specifically require use of their part to maintain warranty.
Thank you very much for shearing your experience with Maxlife ATF. I am going to use Maxlife in my wife's Santa Fe 2014, 65 000 km. I would like to go further than just drain and fill.
I want to do same as in Toyota - drop ATF pan and replace the filter, but so far can not figured it out if the filter is serviceable in this generation. I heard that previous models had the ATF filter not on the bottom of the transmission, but somewhere inside. So far can not find anyone who removed and cleaned transmission pan and replaced the filter in Santa Fe 2014.
If you have any information regarding transmission pan and filter, please share, I will appreciate it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
For OEM SP4-M Hyundai fluid, you're paying about $13/qt and a good drain/fill will take 5.5qts (that's how much I got out of my '14 SFS) so ATF alone is about $80 plus about an hour of labor in the shop (call it $150-$200). At the same time you're spilling that, you're draining the diff (no experience on that since I have FWD) but that fluid is probably not Hyundai specific and should be relatively cheap. Automatic Transaxle = Automatic Transmission and it is a closed system. Filter is internal so there is no filter to change.

So $299 doesn't seem unreasonable BUT I along with many others have done their own drain/fill ATF service with about $20 worth of MaxLife ATF fluid (or a bit more for Amsoil). It is almost as easy as an oil change but if you trust that your trans was filled with correct amount, you can just add what you took out and not have to worry about level check procedure which involves getting fluid to come to correct temp and checking level. Either way, not rocket science. Definitely recommend doing a drain/fill by 60k and will not mess up your warranty, quality of life... etc.
I have Santa Fe Sport, 2.4L ,2014 too, and I am going to fill and drain ATF. I would prefer not only drain and fill, but drop ATF pan and clean it and the magnets, that are located on the bottom of the pan. That what I was doing many times on Toyota. I heard that some Hyundai's models don't have a serviceable filter. In another words - there is ATF filter, but its location is not on the bottom of transmission, but somewhere deep inside.
If you have more information regarding ATF pan and filter, please share, I would appreciate it.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
I have Santa Fe Sport, 2.4L ,2014 too, and I am going to fill and drain ATF. I would prefer not only drain and fill, but drop ATF pan and clean it and the magnets, that are located on the bottom of the pan. That what I was doing many times on Toyota. I heard that some Hyundai's models don't have a serviceable filter. In another words - there is ATF filter, but its location is not on the bottom of transmission, but somewhere deep inside.
If you have more information regarding ATF pan and filter, please share, I would appreciate it.
might be a filter in there if so it's only a precautionary measure, I can only say that I did ATF service on my daughters 2007 Elantra and had ordered a new filter - dropped the pan and the new filter was correct so I just cleaned the old one - IIRC it was a type of sponge and really was pretty clean, the new trannies are a different design and I'd recommended not pursuing the filter. If you want to ensure any accumulated particles or varnish are removed I'd recommend a good additive bottle of flush.

·
Registered
396 Posts
@Trianon - per service info, the filter is completely internal to the transmission as in to access it, you need to split the transmission case. Also looking at the part and other posts, it's more of a 'screen filter' than media used on some of the more accessible filters which is meant to capture large particles. Between the magnetic drain plug and the screen filter, I'm assuming engineers are assuming it lasts 'lifetime' of the vehicle. Another reason to do more frequent fluid changes to keep detergents and friction modifiers fresh. I have done two on my '13 Sonata and one on '14 SFS and running great. No impact on shift quality that some have reported but to me, that just means everything was working great and continues to work great.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts