Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a little confused so here it goes.

I have a 2013 Sport 2.0 with just over 60,000 miles. Dealer said that based on color of the differential fluid they recommend a front and rear differential service $299 cost. Seems expensive to me so I am going to check the price of that with a local shop. But I am confused is there a difference between automatic transaxle and automatic transmission? As I understand it the automatic transaxle combines the automatic transaxle and differential and the owner manual says that no service is required for Automatic Transaxle Fluid.

Leads me to second question. Is the automatic transmission a closed system? Again I am unsure of what the owner manual means that no service is required for the Automatic Transaxle Fluid. Does the transmission fluid need to be changed or flushed and at what mileage or number of years to do it?

·
Registered
349 Posts
For OEM SP4-M Hyundai fluid, you're paying about $13/qt and a good drain/fill will take 5.5qts (that's how much I got out of my '14 SFS) so ATF alone is about $80 plus about an hour of labor in the shop (call it $150-$200). At the same time you're spilling that, you're draining the diff (no experience on that since I have FWD) but that fluid is probably not Hyundai specific and should be relatively cheap. Automatic Transaxle = Automatic Transmission and it is a closed system. Filter is internal so there is no filter to change.

So $299 doesn't seem unreasonable BUT I along with many others have done their own drain/fill ATF service with about $20 worth of MaxLife ATF fluid (or a bit more for Amsoil). It is almost as easy as an oil change but if you trust that your trans was filled with correct amount, you can just add what you took out and not have to worry about level check procedure which involves getting fluid to come to correct temp and checking level. Either way, not rocket science. Definitely recommend doing a drain/fill by 60k and will not mess up your warranty, quality of life... etc.

·
Registered
3,119 Posts
I am a little confused so here it goes.

I have a 2013 Sport 2.0 with just over 60,000 miles. Dealer said that based on color of the differential fluid they recommend a front and rear differential service $299 cost. Seems expensive to me so I am going to check the price of that with a local shop. But I am confused is there a difference between automatic transaxle and automatic transmission? As I understand it the automatic transaxle combines the automatic transaxle and differential and the owner manual says that no service is required for Automatic Transaxle Fluid.

Leads me to second question. Is the automatic transmission a closed system? Again I am unsure of what the owner manual means that no service is required for the Automatic Transaxle Fluid. Does the transmission fluid need to be changed or flushed and at what mileage or number of years to do it?
from your post it sounds like they are doing service on the differentials and yes there is a front and rear. I did those services myself at around 60k and found the fluid to be very clean and by appearances to be in good shape, they take about 1.5 qts of heavy weight gear fluid. Not a bad idea to have it done but to inspect the fluid you have to remove the fill plug or drain plug to get a sample - I'd be highly suspicious that the dealer actually did that, I would have asked to see the sample. Myself I'd be more inclined to do an atf fluid service at 60k, I did mine at close to 80k and the fluid was a medium shade of brown so a reasonably good time to do the service - the condition of the fluid is directly impacted by vehicle useage - ie severe use degrades fluid more rapidly.

·
Registered
276 Posts
bossfan $299.00 u.s dollars is not really outrages. when i did my rear differential & front transaxle i filled it using 75w90 Royal Purple MaxGear oil 2 bottles were $90.00 Canadian changing the transmission fluid bought 12 bottles of Hyundai's ATF $15.00 a liter for 3 drain & fills at a cost of $180.00 total added up to be $270.00 Canadian and thats me doing all the work. You can use the Royal Purple MaxGear over the oem wich i think is better. but definatley use the oem ATF fluid in the transmission.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts