Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm about to bring my car to the dealer for an oil change. 2013 Sport 2.0T with just under 64,000 miles on it.

On my last oil change visit they said that I should do a front and rear differential service quoted at $299. I didn't want to spend that much money and I thought it was a little high price quote. I checked with a local mechanic that I use who told me that he does not see differential service on the Santa Fe maintenance schedule so he said that it probably does not need to be done. So couple of questions.

Is a differential service required if it is not listed on the maintenance schedule? I assume yes but I want to verify the need.

Is there a front and rear differential to be serviced or is there only a rear differential?

Is $299 a high price for this service or is it about right. I was hoping to do it at my local mechanic where it might be cheaper but since he insists it does not need to be done I'm going to have to do it at the dealer.

·
Registered
3,273 Posts
there are 2, the one in the front is more properly called a transfer case. As to the price it depends on your perspective, I did both for just the price of 3 liters of gear oil ~ $15, crawling under the car and draining & refilling and you need a pump to refill and it can be a bit messy. Both of mine looked in great shape (some will argue that visible appearance is a reliable indicator) so I could have gone to 100k mark but some will also argue it's cheap insurance. If you tow or the vehicle is in AWD often - driven on slippery surfaces, etc probably best to get at least the rear diff changed.
The $299 cost doesn't seem entirely unreasonable - unless your barometer is the cost of DIY.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
there are 2, the one in the front is more properly called a transfer case. As to the price it depends on your perspective, I did both for just the price of 3 liters of gear oil ~ $15, crawling under the car and draining & refilling and you need a pump to refill and it can be a bit messy. Both of mine looked in great shape (some will argue that visible appearance is a reliable indicator) so I could have gone to 100k mark but some will also argue it's cheap insurance. If you tow or the vehicle is in AWD often - driven on slippery surfaces, etc probably best to get at least the rear diff changed.
The $299 cost doesn't seem entirely unreasonable - unless your barometer is the cost of DIY.
Thanks for the reply. DIY is not an option for me so that is not my barometer. $299 just sounded high but maybe not.

I do not tow and I don't drive on slippery surfaces when I can avoid it. If 100k is a possibility then maybe I'll wait.

·
Registered
168 Posts
300$ US for a 30 min job and oil costing about 15$ ? #1 reason I never go to dealer. #2 is they are able to forgot to put oil in there and then say its your fault...

Here is what they have to do :
Put car on the lift
Remove the under shield (about 10 bolts, take 1 min with an small air ratchet)
Remove the fill plug on the transfert case (Super easy access)
Remove the drain plug (Easily accessible) on the transfert case and drain oil then put back the plug (Maybe 2 min?)
Fill the transfert case and put back the plug
Put back the under shield (lets say 5 min)
Remove the small cover in the hole of the frame member, then remove the fill plug on the differential (A little tight to get access, just need an extension on a ratchet...)
Remove the drain plug (super easy access) on the differential and drain oil then put back the plug (Maybe 2 min?)
Fill the differential and put back the plug (Ankward placement to fill, but easy to do with the right tools.. meaning a small tubing on the bottle or an hand pump on the bottle)
Remove car from the lift.

30min top

I understand you dont want to do it by yourself, I hate going under my car too. So unless you really want that 200$ coffee they offer you "free" 😄, any local mechanics can do that. I had mine do it for me for 45$ Canadian and I brought my own oil.

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
300$ US for a 30 min job and oil costing about 15$ ? #1 reason I never go to dealer. #2 is they are able to forgot to put oil in there and then say its your fault...

Here is what they have to do :
Put car on the lift
Remove the under shield (about 10 bolts, take 1 min with an small air ratchet)
Remove the fill plug on the transfert case (Super easy access)
Remove the drain plug (Easily accessible) on the transfert case and drain oil then put back the plug (Maybe 2 min?)
Fill the transfert case and put back the plug
Put back the under shield (lets say 5 min)
Remove the small cover in the hole of the frame member, then remove the fill plug on the differential (A little tight to get access, just need an extension on a ratchet...)
Remove the drain plug (super easy access) on the differential and drain oil then put back the plug (Maybe 2 min?)
Fill the differential and put back the plug (Ankward placement to fill, but easy to do with the right tools.. meaning a small tubing on the bottle or an hand pump on the bottle)
Remove car from the lift.

30min top

I understand you dont want to do it by yourself, I hate going under my car too. So unless you really want that 200$ coffee they offer you "free" 😄, any local mechanics can do that. I had mine do it for me for 45$ Canadian and I brought my own oil.
one of the better reasons to do this maintenance is to find out how much oil is in either transfer case. I know on my SM series santa fe, they are notorious for leaking, so a dump of fluid gives you a good idea on how much fluid was in there. I used to do an annual fill-up, but eventually tore the rear of the transfer case apart and replaced the deals.

·
Registered
168 Posts
one of the better reasons to do this maintenance is to find out how much oil is in either transfer case. I know on my SM series santa fe, they are notorious for leaking, so a dump of fluid gives you a good idea on how much fluid was in there. I used to do an annual fill-up, but eventually tore the rear of the transfer case apart and replaced the deals.
Yes I not saying he should not do it although its not really necessary at 60k miles unless being under the "severe" maintenance according to the manual.

I'm just saying there is better option that doing it at the dealer for 300$. Its like a HVAC filter replacement for 120$. This is a stealing nothing else.

·
Registered
3,273 Posts
Yes I not saying he should not do it although its not really necessary at 60k miles unless being under the "severe" maintenance according to the manual.

I'm just saying there is better option that doing it at the dealer for 300$. Its like a HVAC filter replacement for 120$. This is a stealing nothing else.
for the change at a dealer the $299 is pretty much the going cost, in fact the link below says $150 is average(for 1 diff) it can be done cheaper at quick lube places but I'm not sure I'd trust those places to put the proper amount of fluid or not cross thread the fill plugs. Now as an fyi I self service my cars for 40 yrs - (with the exception of alignments and tire changes) so I don't patronize dealership but many do and are happy with what some consider inflated cost.

The worst thing I experienced changing the fluid was when one the hoses on my cheapo Harbor Freight transfer pump flew off and spewed diff fluid all around - including on me, hate the odor of that stuff.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts