Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
I have an accent GL 2006 1.6l fwd automatic, this model doesn't have an temp indicator in the dashboard, it only has a lamp. I went through some problems lately regarding the coolant temp so I bought an external coolant temp gauge "Greddy multi d/a gauge water temp". It comes with a temp sensor but I connected the gauge with the sensor in the engine. The indicator worked fine, however the reading was different. I connected an OBD II connector and found out that when the temp is 97c (OBD) the reading on the gauge is 120c.
What could possibly be the reason for that difference?

Registered
You are not connecting them at the same time,Correct? if connected separately, the sensors are likely scaled differently.
You would be better off getting the sensor that works for your new gauge, and installing it in a different location, if possible.
You cannot get rid of the original temperature sensor, because the ECU needs it to control the engine.
I think the torque app(or another) for a phone with a bluetooth OBD2 adapter may be the best alternative

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
You are not connecting them at the same time,Correct? if connected separately, the sensors are likely scaled differently.
You would be better off getting the sensor that works for your new gauge, and installing it in a different location, if possible.
You cannot get rid of the original temperature sensor, because the ECU needs it to control the engine.
I think the torque app(or another) for a phone with a bluetooth OBD2 adapter may be the best alternative
I didn't install the other sensor that came with the gauge. I connected the gauge with the original sensor.

Registered
That could really throw things off, as both gauges are supplying power through the sensor

Registered
Agreed. There a quite a few different OBD plug in devices you can use, and that way you have to access to all sorts of other gauges as well. I use the Ultragauge because I didn鈥檛 want use my phone, but they do also have a wireless version where you can use your phone.

Registered
I dont know what this "scaling" is about. This isnt a standalone ecm with custom sensors buddy.

Anyways,
Where did you place the external sensor? The one you placed is likely in a hotter area than where the ecm sensor is. The ecm usually likes to see coolant temps in the head.

Registered
Scaling is where 1 sensor gives (for instance) a reading between 2 to 50 ohms for a temperature of 70 to 150 degrees, and another may give ftom 10 to 100 ohms for the same temperature range. Because each system is proprietary, the sensors will not read correctly when used with the other system, like the ECM vs. the standalone system.

Registered
Scaling is where 1 sensor gives (for instance) a reading between 2 to 50 ohms for a temperature of 70 to 150 degrees, and another may give ftom 10 to 100 ohms for the same temperature range. Because each system is proprietary, the sensors will not read correctly when used with the other system, like the ECM vs. the standalone system.
I misread the OP.
You are correct in what you are saying. You cant just hook up a gauge to an entirely different sensor.
I did not see he didnt put the temperature sensor from the gauge in. Id just never heard or would think someone would do that... sorry for the mistake.

To OP, install the temp sensor. Or you will have to buy some gauge that has a feature to calibrate.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts