Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This post refers to the suspension systems on the 2011-2013 Sonata. There is a post detailing the ordering and install of the suspension bushings available from Shark Racing that will firm up the front and rear suspension. I ordered and received the set of 4 bushings, 2 for the front and 2 for the rear suspension from Shark Racing. Recently I had an appointment at a local tire store and figured it would be a good time to get the bushings installed. The tech and store manager agreed to look into installing the bushings for me. It was discovered my Sonata does not have the front clamshell type suspension where the bushings are installed per photos on the bushing thread. My Sonata has a front suspension that has 2 large isolation bushings and appears to be bolted more directly to the frame. Photos attached of My 2011 Sonata Limited showing the front suspension.
View attachment 67897
View attachment 67905
There are at least 2 different suspensions on the late model Sonatas and the one on my Sonata is the 2.4L Limited suspension. This suspension is listed as a sports suspension?
It is the 1st parts reference, copy and paste into your browser to view. The 2nd listing is the more common type and includes the bushings sold by Shark Racing.

http://www.parts.com/parts/2011/HYUNDAI/SONATA/LIMITED/?siteid=2&vehicleid=1500966&diagram=1024253

http://www.parts.com/parts/2011/HYUNDAI/SONATA/LIMITED/?siteid=2&vehicleid=1500966&diagram=1024250

I wasn’t able to find any discussion of these 2 suspensions on the forum. I assume the bushing type is the most common but don’t know. I’ve not had any handling or steering problems with my Sonata. Are there any experts that know why the 2 vastly different suspensions are used? While my Sonata is an early 2011, the same 2 suspensions are listed for all years of the current model.
Anyone know the story and could provide answers? Is the suspension on my auto on all 2.4L Sonatas?
Bob

·
Registered
54 Posts
Since no one is shining in i took time to go out and look. Since me and my brother both purchased sonatas at the same time I checked out both our cars.

We both have Sonata SE 2013 2.4L
Both assembled in Alabama plant.
dates of assembly is Jun 25 2013 and may 6 2013.

Both cars don't have the huge bushing linking sub-frame to frame. Ours seem to be sub-frame to frame bolted. I would check your manufature date and final assembly location. What if you have a true KDM sonata chassis. :eek:

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
I would check your manufature date and final assembly location. What if you have a true KDM sonata chassis. :eek:
Unlikely since he is in FL but you never know. Also, he would be asking why the dash has those funny characters on it instead of letters and numbers!

I would guess the Shark bushings may have been intended for our SE model (I have no idea what the KDM equivalent is). Limiteds and GLS have diff suspension than ours, thats why hmong you are not seeing what the OP is.

I also have an SE and I do not have that type of suspension. We need another Limited (non-turbo) or GLS owner to chime in with their observations.

If this is true then I would see if Shark can hook you up with bushings that are spec'd for the lower end KDM cars.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Unlikely since he is in FL but you never know. Also, he would be asking why the dash has those funny characters on it instead of letters and numbers!

I would guess the Shark bushings may have been intended for our SE model (I have no idea what the KDM equivalent is). Limiteds and GLS have diff suspension than ours, thats why hmong you are not seeing what the OP is.

I also have an SE and I do not have that type of suspension. We need another Limited (non-turbo) or GLS owner to chime in with their observations.

If this is true then I would see if Shark can hook you up with bushings that are spec'd for the lower end KDM cars.
Was just trying to lighten his day a bit. Now he knows the Bushing could be for the SE. Someone with a late 2011 or 2012 Limited or GLS can chime in would help him. Last thing everyone hates is having the wrong parts when ready for the task.

·
Registered
326 Posts
This post refers to the suspension systems on the 2011-2013 Sonata. There is a post detailing the ordering and install of the suspension bushings available from Shark Racing that will firm up the front and rear suspension. I ordered and received the set of 4 bushings, 2 for the front and 2 for the rear suspension from Shark Racing. Recently I had an appointment at a local tire store and figured it would be a good time to get the bushings installed. The tech and store manager agreed to look into installing the bushings for me. It was discovered my Sonata does not have the front clamshell type suspension where the bushings are installed per photos on the bushing thread. My Sonata has a front suspension that has 2 large isolation bushings and appears to be bolted more directly to the frame. Photos attached of My 2011 Sonata Limited showing the front suspension.
View attachment 67897
View attachment 67905
There are at least 2 different suspensions on the late model Sonatas and the one on my Sonata is the 2.4L Limited suspension. This suspension is listed as a sports suspension?
It is the 1st parts reference, copy and paste into your browser to view. The 2nd listing is the more common type and includes the bushings sold by Shark Racing.

Auto Parts - Parts.com, For Every Part of Your Life

http://www.parts.com/parts/2011/HYUNDAI/SONATA/LIMITED/?siteid=2&vehicleid=1500966&diagram=1024250

I wasn’t able to find any discussion of these 2 suspensions on the forum. I assume the bushing type is the most common but don’t know. I’ve not had any handling or steering problems with my Sonata. Are there any experts that know why the 2 vastly different suspensions are used? While my Sonata is an early 2011, the same 2 suspensions are listed for all years of the current model.
Anyone know the story and could provide answers? Is the suspension on my auto on all 2.4L Sonatas?
Bob
Interesting since I have a 2013 LTD and I ordered and installed these subframe bushing from Shark Racing about a month ago and my subframe looked exactly like the pics that Jimrinflorida in his thread http://www.hyundai-forums.com/222-yf-2011-sonata-i45/158908-where-do-these-subframe-bushings-go.html showed.

Not sure of the build date but I bought the car in Feb of this year and IIRC it was built in Korea and not the U.S.

They seem to do what they claim since all but one when in really smoothly with the last one requiring me to loosen another bolt on that side to get the last bushing in. Originally my car had the freeway wanderers and just felt more "floaty" for lack of a better word on the freeway, but after installation of the Nameless SB, larger sport rear stabilizer bar and these bushings it behaves much better and doesn't have that wanderer feel on the freeway.

Larry

·
Premium Member
1,284 Posts
The subframe bushings from SR only fit 2011 models built after 6/15/2010. Hyundai had a design change of the front suspension during the early production of the 2011 Sonata which changed the design of the subframe. Early builds have a totally different front subframe. If your 2011 Sonata was built between 12/2009-6/15/2010 these subframe bushings will not work.

This is the same reason the Tuix front sway bar won't work on early builds.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Jim. That explains the front suspension on my Sonata. It was built on February 03, 2010. It may explain why I don't understand all the complaints regarding handling and steering concerns expressed by other drivers.

The rear end looks the same as the pictures on the SR bushing thread. Do you know if it is the same?

Bob

·
Registered
54 Posts
Hey bob I just recently purchased these bushings too. I hope you find the answers you are looking for. If you only used the rear ill pick up to fronts from you .

·
Premium Member
1,284 Posts
Bob I would say the rear are the same but I am not 100% positive. IMO it's the fronts that are the most needed on our subframes (6/15/2010 - Today). The fronts have the larger gap around the bolts. The rear has less gap around the bolts and the assembly is more firmly mounted.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts