Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would you trust veggie oil in your new pride and joy? figures quoted @ 70MPG are making me consider it very seriously. I do approx 30K miles a year. According to the veggie calculator (if you didn't tell the IR!) the conversion would pay for itself in just 51 days???!!

But would you do it? Has anybody already risked it? How do you think my Warranty would stand up?

Obviously this applies to Diesel owners only.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Dear dansaaf,

The biodiesel movement is gaining strength in the US with diesel prices about 27% higher than petrol. I have talked to several owners of large Cummins diesel pickup trucks.

some of their guidance:
1) If you are recycling vegaetable oil from a restaraunt for frying chips(french fries) or chicken, you need to add clarify and filter the oil. Waste vegetable oil is more problematic than pure unsued vegetable oil.
2) Best results require mixing straight vegetable oil which is quite viscuous with normal diesel fuel to thin the viscosity rating. Best overal results are
3) Rapeseed methyl ester is preferred by many engine manufacturers.

See:

http://journeytoforever.org/biodiesel_make.html#1mixing

Byron

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't suppose you know if the santa-fe requires a fuel line change to accomodate the biofuel?

I heard that you need to replace any rubber hosing with plastic/metal fuel lines as part of the conversion due to possible corrosion by veggie fuel, but that would push the price up quite a bit and I think invalidate my warranty?

Cool to hear that the movement is growing stateside, I know how you guys like your V8's. I guess the price of oil is finally affecting all of us, and those early adopters realise it's only gonna get worse.

I still can't believe it actually works....

·
Premium Member
15,116 Posts
there has been lots of posts about this in the past (use the search engine)

beware of one point though. there have been reports in the press recently that the use of bio in the long term can cause 'jelly' forming in the fuel lines which can work it's way into the engine (bye bye engine)

l know the price of diesel is now coming to the point where you need to check you bank balance before you pull up to the pumps but l would still be very cautious of adding bio at this early stage

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Originally posted by montego@May 6 2008, 12:22 PM
l know the price of diesel is now coming to the point where you need to check you bank balance before you pull up to the pumps but l would still be very cautious of adding bio at this early stage
[snapback]159160[/snapback]​

Agreed, and I guessed I'm not the first to consider it, but I had my first £94 fill up last Friday....! :w00t:

Spot convertion =
Canada = $182
USA = $184

How much do you guys accross the pond pay to fill up?

It's getting pretty costly just to go to work over here....

·
Registered
250 Posts
Originally posted by dansaaf@May 6 2008, 02:34 PM
Agreed, and I guessed I'm not the first to consider it, but I had my first £94 fill up last Friday....! :w00t:

Spot convertion =
Canada = $182
USA = $184

How much do you guys accross the pond pay to fill up?

It's getting pretty costly just to go to work over here....
[snapback]159249[/snapback]​

About $50 here. ~$3.75 per gallon.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts