Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There's no stopping me now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:whistling:

Has anyone fitted one of these? I have been looking into fitting one, but they all look the same and all profess to give you all these advantages, but are they that good????

Then, last Friday, one of the lads I instruct with (I'm a Race Tutor) is a race engineer and he told me about a box they are fitting on a lot of diesels that come through his workshop.

He told me he had fitted it to a few other instructors cars also. So I went and had a chat with them and they all said they had noticed fuel savings. To quite some degree too.

Have a read and tell me what you think.

http://www.bhpplus.co.uk/Diesel-Tuning-Boxes/

It's the BHPCR for the Santa Fe. Whilst it comes across as expensive compared to several other options, I worked it out and after about 12 tanks of fuel, it should pay for itself. I'm not sure how you go on with the warranty with these things also.

Comments would be appreciated.

·
Registered
7,163 Posts
QUOTE (Walshy @ Jun 9 2010, 03:13 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=331438
There's no stopping me now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:whistling:

Has anyone fitted one of these? I have been looking into fitting one, but they all look the same and all profess to give you all these advantages, but are they that good????

Then, last Friday, one of the lads I instruct with (I'm a Race Tutor) is a race engineer and he told me about a box they are fitting on a lot of diesels that come through his workshop.

He told me he had fitted it to a few other instructors cars also. So I went and had a chat with them and they all said they had noticed fuel savings. To quite some degree too.

Have a read and tell me what you think.

http://www.bhpplus.co.uk/Diesel-Tuning-Boxes/

It's the BHPCR for the Santa Fe. Whilst it comes across as expensive compared to several other options, I worked it out and after about 12 tanks of fuel, it should pay for itself. I'm not sure how you go on with the warranty with these things also.

Comments would be appreciated.
Before you go there, have a read of the last post in the short thread pointed to below, and follow the link there as well. Depending upon what you mean by a "tuning box", you could do far better with a more professional approach.

http://www.hyundai-forums.com/index.php?sh...9&hl=tuning

·
Registered
169 Posts
I have one fitted and set to the high torque for towing, I'm not interested in BHP. In the time I have owned it the fuel consumption as dropped, I get between 1.5-2 mpg more than without the box, however the computed mpg shows about 5mpg improvement. To be fair http://energytuning.co.uk/ said this would be the case. The low down torque is phenomenal, accelerating from about 13-1400 rpm in second or third gear can produce front wheel scrabble before the 4wd clutch actuates and kills it.
I can use 5th gear for longer when towing especially on inclines, I also get a better smoother drive in 30mph zones holding 5th gear. My computer indicated mpg towing is now 31.5 mpg instead of 27mpg, don't know the real figures yet, will know next week when I have a 500 mile towing trip.
There are many of these boxes on the market, some are better than others, many are the same box re-badged especially the German ones, The price for a good box should be about £120- £180, mine has a 5yr warranty, option to have plugs and software changed at low cost when I update my car.
For warranty unplug it before service or warranty work, also it cannot be overwritten on a service warranty software change as re-chipping can.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for that great info.

I myself am not looking for BHP, but at best, I probably get about 34mpg on a long run and wouldn't mind getting more as I am up and down the country regularly.

One of the lads I work with drives a diesel Vauxhall Vectra. He says he was getting approx 45mpg out of his car, now he gets in excess of 53mpg. My calculation says on a 10 gallon tank, thats another 80miles per tank, another couple of gallons, so about £10.80 per fill saving.

I also tow, so your right, the torque curve is much better with one fitted.

Let me know how you go on with your 500 mile run.

Cheers

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey guys, I'm new to the forum and new to owning a Santa Fe. Absolutely love this car.
I'm a car nut and cant help myself tinkering with my toys :thumbsup:

I am in Australia, I am not sure yet of the differences in our models, specs etc.
But I have found the following unit to suit my vehicle, is this the kind of item your reffering to with a tuning box?

Tunit Diesel ECU Chip Hyundai Santa Fe 2.2 CRDi + DPF

·
Registered
169 Posts
QUOTE (noddy2 @ Mar 31 2011, 03:56 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=423347
Dartman - do you have an update on your tuning box for us UK diesel fans?

cheers
Nod
Sorry about that, I was experimenting switching between Low and High torque settings, I got about 26mpg, but unfortunately I had head winds both ways, I remember getting 28mpg on one of the fills, that was brim to brim calculated, not indicated. I think they are worth it just for the torque you get when towing especially when you get a Micra or similar doing about 40mph you definitely have the power to get by quickly, which then allows you to roll along in top economically. I think I don't get the much improved mpg because I use the torque in the gears to progress the journey, in other words I use it to overtake when without the box I couldn't overtake at all. Best setting for economy is Lo torque and Lo bhp. Use Hi torque and Lo bhp for hilly areas and strong head winds.

·
Registered
169 Posts
QUOTE (OzCMSFeTdi @ Mar 31 2011, 07:51 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=423391
Hey guys, I'm new to the forum and new to owning a Santa Fe. Absolutely love this car.
I'm a car nut and cant help myself tinkering with my toys :thumbsup:

I am in Australia, I am not sure yet of the differences in our models, specs etc.
But I have found the following unit to suit my vehicle, is this the kind of item your reffering to with a tuning box?

Tunit Diesel ECU Chip Hyundai Santa Fe 2.2 CRDi + DPF
I think that price is excessive, tuning boxes start at about $Aus 160 upto about $Aus 600 for one with remote operation in the UK. Why would any one need a remote? the are not for switching around whilst driving, you set them after working out over a period of time what suits your driving the leaving it there, pick another setting for towing, they are not replacements for nitrous oxide. I know some things have high tax added out there but surely not 100% +
I don't think that is for the 2006 onwards SF the plugs and sockets look wrong, certainly different to mine you sure it's not for the MK1? unless the photo is an example and not specific for the SF, I think you could get a chip upgrade for less than half that price.

·
Registered
8 Posts
QUOTE (dartman @ Mar 31 2011, 03:20 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=423455
Sorry about that, I was experimenting switching between Low and High torque settings, I got about 26mpg, but unfortunately I had head winds both ways, I remember getting 28mpg on one of the fills, that was brim to brim calculated, not indicated. I think they are worth it just for the torque you get when towing especially when you get a Micra or similar doing about 40mph you definitely have the power to get by quickly, which then allows you to roll along in top economically. I think I don't get the much improved mpg because I use the torque in the gears to progress the journey, in other words I use it to overtake when without the box I couldn't overtake at all. Best setting for economy is Lo torque and Lo bhp. Use Hi torque and Lo bhp for hilly areas and strong head winds.
Thanks Dartman - I guess you're talking mpg whilst towing? Did you see much improvement when not towing?

cheers
Nod

·
Registered
169 Posts
QUOTE (noddy2 @ Mar 31 2011, 04:48 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=423703
Thanks Dartman - I guess you're talking mpg whilst towing? Did you see much improvement when not towing?

cheers
Nod
Hi noddy
I don't tend to use the SF much unless it's for taking the dog out at w/e, 10 mile each way or using when there are more than 2 passengers, however I check against the when I didn't use the box and it's always been better by about 1.5-2 mpg. I rarely change down to below 3rd gear unless it's in town when traffic and pedestrians force 2nd gear, 3rd gear is good from 10mph. My wife has a Micra CC which goes everywhere at 47mpg so we tend to use that more often, I don't drive it due to certain comments in the handbook reference handbags and mascara holders which made me realise it wasn't designed for the male species.

·
Registered
2 Posts
QUOTE (dartman @ Apr 1 2011, 01:37 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=423462
I think that price is excessive, tuning boxes start at about $Aus 160 upto about $Aus 600 for one with remote operation in the UK. Why would any one need a remote? the are not for switching around whilst driving, you set them after working out over a period of time what suits your driving the leaving it there, pick another setting for towing, they are not replacements for nitrous oxide. I know some things have high tax added out there but surely not 100% +
I don't think that is for the 2006 onwards SF the plugs and sockets look wrong, certainly different to mine you sure it's not for the MK1? unless the photo is an example and not specific for the SF, I think you could get a chip upgrade for less than half that price.
Thanks for the feed back, yeah it was just a generic image I am quite sure.
I have found another model, delivers slightly better results according to their ad and a lot lot cheaper :D

Only thing I am worried about is the possibility of damage to the engine, ECU or transmission. Any thoughts on this?

This is the one I'm looking at now....
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Diesel-Power-Chip-M...=item3cb0ad8ca7

Cheers
Luke

·
Registered
169 Posts
Hi Luke
The UK site HOCGB had an arrangement with http://www.autotechnik-saretz.de/, these units have been used by members since 2006 without any ill effects to the engines. A report on the unit can be found at
http://www.hyundaiownersclub.co.uk/forum/v...pic.php?id=1091 you will need to register, it's free to access the report.The unit you mention may be the same one, it's always worth a Skpe call.
The unit I use is by http://energytuning.co.uk/ I used this because the unit is UK manufactured and the warranty was 5years and upgrading the unit to another vehicle was very cheap. Everything was by return post, this however in your case not all these reasons will apply , both these companies have good reputations.
It may be worth checking if there is any import and /or taxes payable to get the final cost

1 - 12 of 12 Posts