Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I am new to forum writing as you can probably guess. I want to buy a Santa Fe 2.2 crtd 4wd 7 seats, but my brother in law works with cars and he says we should avoid any car with a diesel particulate filter and my husband won't consider it now. Can anyone advise me on how reliable these cars are or if there are any known problems with them please? I am especially interested in hearing about the DPF if anyone has any info.

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
Diesel particulate filters (DPFs) are attracting bad publicity because they can block up in particular conditions - BUT - those conditions are such that a diesel was the wrong engine to choose in the first place, ie a petrol would be better.

DPFs need to get hot occasionally to burn off the retained soot - most diesel owners will do this naturally in normal use, eg on a motorway run and NEVER get an issue.

The system will initiate it's own method of burning off the soot but this needs a 20+ minute run to complete, otherwise it starts again next time the car is used - repeated incomplete regenerations are what cause the problem.

So, if you do lots of short runs - avoid a DPF - but equally in those conditions avoid a diesel, get a petrol.

Santa Fe's aren't particularly known for giving DPF problems but aren't immune.

All European diesel cars, from September 2009 must/will have a DPF, no exclusions and many brands/models got them much earlier - so if you're determine to avoid a DPF you either need an older car or a petrol.

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
The 2.2 CRDi sold in UK from 2006-2009 changed from non-DPF to DPF during that timescale - I've heard some anecdotal evidence that CDX and CDX+ trim levels changed earlier than GSi trim - which may be due to launch stocks of GSi lasting longer as it was a slower seller.

Have a look at your V5C registration document - section V.5 particulates - if the figure is 0.005 or less you've got a DPF - if it's between 0.006 and 0.025 you haven't got a DPF.

Alternatively look at the exhaust pipe in the engine compartment and under the front floor - if there are two canisters in sequence immediately below the turbo then you've got a catalytic converter and a DPF - if there's just one canister you just got a catalytic converter and no DPF - but don't get confused with any silencer canisters.

·
Registered
65 Posts
The 2.2 CRDi sold in UK from 2006-2009 changed from non-DPF to DPF during that timescale - I've heard some anecdotal evidence that CDX and CDX+ trim levels changed earlier than GSi trim - which may be due to launch stocks of GSi lasting longer as it was a slower seller.

Have a look at your V5C registration document - section V.5 particulates - if the figure is 0.005 or less you've got a DPF - if it's between 0.006 and 0.025 you haven't got a DPF.

Alternatively look at the exhaust pipe in the engine compartment and under the front floor - if there are two canisters in sequence immediately below the turbo then you've got a catalytic converter and a DPF - if there's just one canister you just got a catalytic converter and no DPF - but don't get confused with any silencer canisters.

Why manufactures fit both canisters separately? Catalytic converter to filter harmful emission and DPF to burn scoot? I think DPF can do both jobs at once as it reach high temp intermittently?

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
Why manufactures fit both canisters separately? Catalytic converter to filter harmful emission and DPF to burn scoot? I think DPF can do both jobs at once as it reach high temp intermittently?
The two functions are different - the catalytic converter contains noble metals which react chemically with the exhaust gases to change them into less harmful chemicals - the diesel particulate filter is a physical filter designed to trap soot particles, but has to be cleared from time to time by reaching extreme high temperature, either through hard driving (passive regeneration) or injection of fuel to burn in the exhaust (active regeneration).

There's normally sensor(s) in the exhaust pipe between the catalytic converter and the DPF.

·
Registered
17 Posts

Thanks Rupert's! Just checked and it's quoted at 0.064g per kg. so I guess I'm DPFless. I'll physically check when I get chance. Thanks again.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Tks RT. BTW, finding related info on lifespan of the Santa fe's mono catalytic converter. I've heard that possible blocking of catalytic converter negatively affect on turbo charger life and also on bad fuel consumption. Most of our local guys tend to remove Catalytic converter at their first failure and simply bridge the gap of silencer by same size pipe.

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
Thanks Rupert's! Just checked and it's quoted at 0.064g per kg. so I guess I'm DPFless. I'll physically check when I get chance. Thanks again.
Are you sure that's the figure for Particle Matter (PM) - new diesel cars with PM over 0.050 were only permitted up to January 2000 !!

·
Registered
333 Posts
Tks RT. BTW, finding related info on lifespan of the Santa fe's mono catalytic converter. I've heard that possible blocking of catalytic converter negatively affect on turbo charger life and also on bad fuel consumption. Most of our local guys tend to remove Catalytic converter at their first failure and simply bridge the gap of silencer by same size pipe.
It's illegal now or soon will be to remove a cat in the UK as it will become an MOT failure.

Gazza!!!

·
Registered
65 Posts
To Maintain modern diesel car with DPF and Catalytic requires quality diesels and proper driving habits. People who doesn't have quality diesels in their countries have found new practices to avoid costly repairs and increase fuel efficacy. purposely remove DPF & Cat is one best practice. Allowing bit of diesel scoot out of the air is not a big deal ..

·
Registered
2 Posts
we are on our third turbo on the santa Fe!and the engine management light still comes on, possibly the particulate filter from the sound of the blog, what do they cost to repace and can you do it yourself or clean it?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts