Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I have a new 2.2 crtd7 diesel auto, it has just covered 1,800 miles. When I took delivery the trip computer was at 28mpg, this steadily went down to 26.1mpg mainly urban driving. After a recent 80mile trip it rose to 26.4mpg but is going down again now at 26.3mpg. I have just spoke to the dealer who agrees it is not right and thinks it should approx 30mpg, the service manager is supposed to be phoning me but they are short staffed at the moment so I am having to wait.
I would like to know what milage other people are experiencing from the diesel auto?

Apart from the fuel consumption this is the best vehicle I have owned so far, extremely comfortable and pleasure to drive. I'll post some pics when the weather improves.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I suspect it has a lot to do with those 26.1 miles. In other words my "urban" driving probably has less traffic lights than yours so I get the following.

With BP Ultimate diesel I get 9.5L/100Km or converting (283.7 divided by 9.5=29.8mpg Imp.)
With ordinary diesel I get 10.5L/100Km, converting gives 27mpg Imp.

So not a huge difference to your figures. I've done 5000KM in mine.

US and Canadian readers: figures are 235/9.6=24.7 and 22.4mpg

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Malagaman thanks for your reply,

I was under the impression the first 1000 miles were to run the engine in, as I stated my consumption has only gone one way..down :crying:

I,ll let you know the outcome at the dealers afters Xmas.

What are you getting on a decent run?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hi Higwar,

We have the same car as yours, a 2.2 CRTD 7 seat diesel auto. At the moment we are averaging about 29 mpg but I think this is due to the cold weather meaning the lights on all the time as well as the heated seats etc we're also doing a lot of short urban trips.

Usually we average around 30-32 mpg on a typical working week (short runs in busy traffic) but have had it as high as 36-40 when on our hols and the car fully laden! Not bad for a large auto.

I would give yours a few months until the real cold weather has subsided a little and the engine has got a few thousand more miles on it.

Incidentally, I don't know if this makes any difference, but we only use Shell diesel extra and tend to drive like pensioners in order to keep the mpg reasonable!

What does the trip computer read if you reset it at, say, a steady 60 mph on the motorway? Ours goes to about 43mpg or thereabouts, I know it's not an average but if it still doesn't go above 30 then it suggests something more serious is wrong.

Good luck and have a great christmas.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Originally posted by Leprechaun@Dec 24 2007, 03:04 AM

Incidentally, I don't know if this makes any difference, but we only use Shell diesel extra and tend to drive like pensioners in order to keep the mpg reasonable!

What does the trip computer read if you reset it at, say, a steady 60 mph on the motorway? Ours goes to about 43mpg or thereabouts, I know it's not an average but if it still doesn't go above 30 then it suggests something more serious is wrong.

Good luck and have a great christmas.
[snapback]125749[/snapback]​

Clearly the grade of fuel makes a big difference, in Spain the most common premium one is Ultimate.
Resetting at steady speed, say 60KM, and my economy shoots up to around 44mpg Imp.

(No driving like a pensioner for me, I keep up with the traffic, and want to overtake dawdlers at the earliest opportunity )

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi,

Thankyou for your replys.

I have just filled the car up and reset the trip computer, it rose to approx 30-
32mpg and started to drop within a few mile to about 28mpg. At next fill up I will try the Shell diesel extra and also calculate the real mpg from fuel used with both types of fuel and report back to you.
I take your point regarding heated seats and lights on. Although I tend to drive on side lights all the time as it dims the glare of the blue dashboard lights by about 50% :shades:
The tyre pressure was at 29psi all round, I have increased it to 32psi to see if it helps, what pressure are you guys running on?

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year :beer:

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2007 Tucson CRTDi with a 6 speed gear box. I am, like many, disappointed with the fuel consumption. The average has never changed since I bought the car new and I have now driven over 10,000 miles.

The worst is 28mpg on hilly, country lanes. The best is 38mpg (rarely) on main roads/motorways. The average is 33mpg.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi Avalon,

Have you tried the better grade diesel as suggested by the other posters?
My next fill up will be as suggested and will see if it makes any difference apart from costing even more!!
I am also driving lightfooted and trying to conserve fuel but its a heavy car and needs a bit of power to get it rolling.

Happy New Year

·
Registered
5 Posts
Great to see the decent mpg numbers from the diesel engine. I am in Canada and am in the market for a midsize SUV that gets decent mileage. The Santa Fe Diesel seems to fit what I am looking for. Hybrids are nice but diesel is a much more proven technology for long term reliability. Anyone know if it is going to be sold in North America?

·
Registered
526 Posts
montrealvue, I'm not sure that the current CRD is clean enough to be sold here. It's too bad they don't offer a diesel version here, I'd have bought one.

higwar, your lights shouldn't affect mileage too badly. Keeping your RPMs in the high torque section of your powerband will help most - under 2000 RPM.

I've been trying to maximize the fuel efficiency on my gasser. After removing the cross bars and changing my driving techniques I started playing with tire pressures. I upped them to the high 30s, then to 44 then 55 and found each step reduced rolling resistance. But, please don't try anything other than 30 psi and forget this terrible and dangerous advice.

Does your vehicle have an OBDII port on it? If so, a ScanGauge can help by showing engine load, which you need to keep tightly controlled. It provides great immediate feedback. A block heater helps a lot too, especially for short trips when consumption is by far the worst. The other big thing is to try and be conscious about how often and how hard you brake. The prevention of excessive braking is something that can be improved by looking farther out into traffic and realizing that a good deal of it is avoidable which is easier on the brakes, the vehicle and your fuel bill.

Good luck

·
Registered
126 Posts
I have the 2.2 Manual and rarely get off the motorway, I avarage 38-42mpg all the time, I drive at avarage motorway speeds ie over 70mph.

I can't be the only one that gets this sort of figure? this has remained constant from day 1. I am on 30K miles now.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have the 2.2 CRDi Auto 4WD 7 seat, Irish model. Just had another look last night; and my overall fuel consumption is running at 31.9mpg. c. 30,000kms driven. Mixed roads. Specific to the urban/commute I did last night, one leg of my twice daily run, I was at 28.9 mpg; so must be doing substantially better than this on my once a week long return run down the country (2-3 hours each way on motorway, dual carriageway & open roads).

All in all, actually a better overall consumption figure than I feared, considering I have a heavy foot. Also - I have not removed the crossrails and my boot is usually awash with life junk, so I know the consumption could be improved on.

The engine has certainly loosened up over past 3 months.

An even bigger smile on my face now... :grin:

·
Registered
9 Posts
We have a 2.2 Crdi 7 Seat Manual and have driven 1400km so far. Consumption is 8.8l/100km (32mpg) so far with mixed driving. On one long run the consumption was 7.5l/100km (37mpg). We are very happy with this especially as it is mostly winter driving so far.

Now the thing I cannot understand is we had a Tucson 2.0CRdi with the 6 sp box and 140bhp VGT engine and the consumption was 10l/100km for the SAME type of driving. The Santa Fe is larger and heavier and so far seems to be more economical than the Tucson in our experience.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Poor fuel consumption?
Hello. I've had the 2.2 Diesel auto (7 seater) for 2 months now, and the car is nicely run-in with approx 2500 miles on the clock. Fuel consumption is disappointing at 26.5 mpg. I spoke to the dealer who mentioned something about the guage being set to US standards (and thus the lower mpg)...I though UK gallons were the same as in the US!
I'm certainly not getting the 31/32mpg promised, and general driving is on country roads, so no motorway to help, but equally no heavy urban traffic to impact the mpg.
Any ideas?
Many thanks.

·
Registered
526 Posts
The Imperial gallon is 20% larger than the US gallon, so 26½ MPG (US) would be 32 MPG (Imp.). Metric would be a lot easier for everyone, if everyone used it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks for that. I guess that means I am getting the 31/32 mpg promised, which is good for a heavy car. I do wonder, though, why the cars sold in the UK are guaged to US gallons and not Imperial....
I should add we are very happy with the SF, kids love the space and DVD player, and it feels so much lighter than my old Disco. The only blip (now the mpg is resolved!) is the inadequate interior lighting...I've read it's possible to get the map lights wired in, so I may investigate that.
Again, thanks!

·
Registered
64 Posts
I don't believe the trip computer read outs, they can be fairly inaccurate.

The only way to make sensible comparisons between cars is to fill the tank to the absolute max, set the trip mileometer to zero and when you next fill it to the max again, record how much you filled the tank with and the mileage at that point. You don't need to know the fuel tank capacity (75 litres) and you can do this after only using 1/4 or 1/2 of a tank as the garage pump will tell you exactly how much you used.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello all,

I have set my mind on buying a 2007 2.2 CRDI Santa Fe and am probably going to do it in the next couple of months. After reading several posts on this forum I got the impression that North American owners have a lot more issues with the car than European ones.

Is 155HP and 335 Nm enough for such a heavy vehicle?

I'd just like to know where Santa Fe's for European market are being built. Are they getting them straight from Korea or somewhere in EU?

One other thing: the local dealer gives 2000 euro discount for all Santa Fe models built in 2007. Any differences between 2007 and 2008 models (wouldn't think so, but I'm not sure)?

Thanks.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hi popvladimir,

As far as I know the European Santa Fe's are all built in South Korea, which could explain why us Europeans have less issues than those stateside.

Is 155HP and 335 Nm enough for such a heavy vehicle?

I think so, I don't tow anything but I do regularly carry the car fully laden and it still has plenty of power.

Any differences between 2007 and 2008 models (wouldn't think so, but I'm not sure)?

I don't think so but there will be a facelifted model towards the end of the year I believe.

We're really happy with ours, hope your the same when you get yours.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hi popvladimir, European SFs are Korean-built as far as I know. Certainly Irish & UK models are. Re 07/08 model differences; you'd be better to go online and check country-specific specification. For example, Irish SFs (like mine) have differing specs to UK models (generally we are lower specced due to much higher government taxes on cars & accessories). If the dealer is offering a 2K cut - generally, ther must be a good reason!

In terms of power - I have not towed yet; fully-laden I find the 2.2DRDi to be absolutely fine. I have the auto, the manula would be even more flexible I guess.

This being said, where I live is flat/moderately hilly so if you are doing a lot of mountain driving, then I'd advise you test drive to make sure yourself.

All-in-all, a great vehicle. Very happy with mine. Good luck with the decision-making!

1 - 20 of 47 Posts