Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have only done 1000 km but the on board computer is calculating 10L/100km... nowhere near the High 8's that is claimed. Two thirds of this distance travelled is cruising speeds (<100 kmh) on the freeway. Does anyone that has the diesel remember if the ecomy was bad when the motor was new ? Does it get better as the motor loosens up ?

·
Registered
14 Posts
hi i have allways got around 30 to 31 mpg and that is on town driving and cold starting now up to 3000 miles and it is still the same this is not bad for a heavy car.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Thought I'd add my mpg to this..

To work and back we get around 29-31 mpg, but I recently did a longish run of about 180 miles round trip and was suprised to get 39 mpg.
That was in and out of some quite heavy traffic doing between 40 and 80 mph and also fully laden, I mean packed to the roof with heavy gear (drum kit / pa system etc..) and 1 passenger and it didn't affect performance one bit, still plenty power to overtake!!

The car has now done 9000 miles, but we have only owned it for 3000 or so miles...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hi i have allways got around 30 to 31 mpg

To work and back we get around 29-31 mpg

So you guys average about 30mpg which is about 7.84L/100km

I am not flogging it and as mentioned 40km out of every 60km per day are done on the freeway at approx 80kmh

I am getting 10.0L/100km which is about 23mpg and no where near the claimed figures

See below various excerpts from various auto reviews

And we’ve left the best ‘til last. The factory fuel economy figure of the CRDI Santa Fe auto trans 7 seater is 8.2 litres/100 km. On a long highway trip we achieved 6.9 litres/100km and even in demanding urban and hilly areas, the worst we saw was 9.6 litres/100km. So: comfortable, practical, decent performance and - for a family car - excellent fuel economy.

The Australian Design rule fuel figures for an urban/rural driving cycle with the Santa Fe substantiate the results gained by Tholstrup, ranging
from 7.3 litres per 100km to 8.2 litres, depending on variant. This compares to up to 12.8 litres per 100 km for its major competitors petrol alternatives

The big CRDi advantage is fuel economy. Hyundai claims a 7.3 L/100 km average for the manual and 8.1 L/100 km for the optional auto
Fuel Consumption

8.2 L/100 km (auto SLX, official), diesel.

Goes in for its 1000km service on Tuesday - I will ask some questions :(

·
Registered
30 Posts
I would definitely query it when you take it in for it's 1k service, I didn't mention that mine was an auto, I assume yours is too being in Oz?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I didn't mention that mine was an auto, I assume yours is too being in Oz?

Yep. and that is another thing - this adaptive transmission - doesn't feel like it is adapting, always wants to hang on and rev quite high before changing out of 1st or kick down from 3rd to 2nd when given a bit of stick and over rev when it should easily pull.

I can get much better and smoother changes using the selectronic but that kind of defeats the purpose of an auto trans doesnt it :)

·
Registered
126 Posts
15.5K miles since November on motorway commute of 64 miles each way every day. Very Keen on my milage. Figure are as of now and have been pretty similar since I picked it up.

70mph Motorway 42mpg
80mph Motorway 39mpg
90mph motorway 36mpg

Avarage around town and commute 38mpg.

All round I'm fairly happy with that, as long as don't try to compare it with my old Vectra 2.2DTi.

Top Tip. Take the roofbars off if you want to save on fuel

·
Registered
30 Posts
Originally posted by southpatt@Jun 2 2007, 02:06 PM
always wants to hang on and rev quite high before changing out of 1st or kick down from 3rd to 2nd when given a bit of stick and over rev when it should easily pull.
[snapback]90665[/snapback]​

That sounds odd, mine barely stays in 1st in fact it moves up the gears a little too quick unless you give it plenty gas. Maybe this is the source of your problems, certainly worth mentioning when you take it in..

·
Registered
68 Posts
I have still only done 800KM after nearly a month, but my readout says 9.2 (L/100KM, automatic car).
This figure has only changed once to 9.1. I'm wondering how much credence to give the econometer.

Does the Hyundai system work on long term averages, because in a previous car I owned, the system worked differently, more instantaneously. So for example, when the car was on overrun, the economy shot up. The advantage of such a system is that one could see instantly what was happening , and drive accordingly.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi, my first post here...

I have the 2.7l petrol (manual) and not the diesel, but figured it was relevant enough being that I'm also in Oz, and have around 900km clocked up at the moment... we've averaged about 10.4L/100km, although one trip from Brisbane to Warwick a couple of days ago, we had it down to about 9.6L/100km - until we hit the mountain range, where it shot up to 11.

A couple of things... I've noticed that fuel economy seems to be better in the 90-100kph range than the 70-80kph, so read into that what you will, but I'm extremely happy with the economy we're getting - anything around the 10-10.5L/100km is pretty much exactly what I was expecting from the manual/petrol model from reading all the reviews. I definitely would have been looking for under 9 if I had gone for the Diesel.

Sweet car to drive though - love the manual gear box too, 1st and 2nd gears have some funky ratios that take a bit of getting used to, but the whole package is just so smooth - a joy to drive.

As for the question on what the readout shows - I'm pretty sure it is average for the whole trip, but you can reset the reading at any time (hold the reset button in for 2 seconds while on that display), you'll get a lot more responsive readings once you do that for the first few km's until it gets enough data to keep the average from changing too much. I usually reset the economy reading and the trip odometer each time I fuel up, that seems to be working well - gives nice relevant data, and you still notice when you're burning too much fuel, just goes up .1 at a time - but usually pretty soon after you burn too much - so it's enough to tell you what's going on.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey Malagaman

I have still only done 800KM after nearly a month, but my readout says 9.2 (L/100KM, automatic car).
This figure has only changed once to 9.1. I'm wondering how much credence to give the econometer.

This is what I was getting on my first tank and I was expecting the reading to go down with the next - not up - I also wonder what to believe from this gauge -Perhaps better to start counting the litres placed in the tank and the kilometers travelled.. but this again defeats the purpose of things like a trip computer - In any case it will take me some time to average the consumption out, probably two months over some tanks - I would like to know now if I am not getting the claimed economy - no - I would be happy if I got closer to the claimed economy - since my last post I was up to 10.5l/100km - Brought it down to 10.4 with a bit of a run to work this morning but this seems way too excessive

Hey BurntToast

I have the 2.7l petrol (manual) and not the diesel, but figured it was relevant enough being that I'm also in Oz, and have around 900km clocked up at the moment... we've averaged about 10.4L/100km

My point exactly! 10.4 over 900 petrol // 10.4 over 1000 diesel :(

I'm pretty sure it is average for the whole trip, but you can reset the reading at any time (hold the reset button in for 2 seconds while on that display), you'll get a lot more responsive readings once you do that for the first few km's until it gets enough data to keep the average from changing too much. I usually reset the economy reading and the trip odometer each time I fuel up, that seems to be working well

Yep. Reset all tripmeters when I last filled the tank. As you say needs to get data so it was a bit wacko saying 40L/100 for first km or so then steadily went down to around the 10 mark after 10 or so clicks. Half a tank now so that should be some serious data. 10.4 ??? :(

·
Registered
3 Posts
Yeah, you definitely should be getting better economy with the diesel than I'm getting with the petrol, like I said - if I got the diesel I would have expected numbers below 9... maybe below 8.

Half a tank should be plenty to get a good reading, I've got about half a tank at the moment and it's sitting around 10.4 - being a manual should help my economy a bit over an automatic, but economy is really the main reason they have been pushing the diesel, so you should be doing much better than you are.

Good idea to work out some numbers based on actual fuel going in rather than rely on the trip computer - maybe you have a faulty sensor somewhere? You should try and take it for a good hour drive on the freeway somewhere and see what kind of numbers you get, once you get cruising around the 90-100kph mark you should see some difference I reckon, would be interesting too see how much.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Shame that the Bilderbergs have reserved diesel for the EU/UK and Australia. The US is only allowed gasoline in order to keep prices high and foster a revolutionary mindset among the middle class, whom they consider insufficiently progressive for their globalist agenda.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Shame that the Bilderbergs have reserved diesel for the EU/UK and Australia. The US is only allowed gasoline in order to keep prices high and foster a revolutionary mindset among the middle class, whom they consider insufficiently progressive for their globalist agenda.

I'd swap my $7.15 a gallon diesel for your $1.25 a Gallon anyday.....I'd love to drive the V6 version of the Santa Fe but sadly our government have bought into this whole "Global Warming" Thing....?? :)

·
Registered
353 Posts
I average 33-35mpg (7-6 l/km) on tank with varying driving. One a steady 60mph (5.8-5.3 l/km), I get 40-44 mpg 60mph (5.8-5.3 l/km). I made the mistake of installing a K and N. although there was an improvement in revs at the top end, my average mpg went down to 28mpg. (8.4 l/km) I only use it now for towing. I suggest you get the engine checked

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
70mph Motorway 42mpg
80mph Motorway 39mpg
90mph motorway 36mpg

Avarage around town and commute 38mpg.

Hey Dansaaf - Sorry I missed this before

Again - great figures! I would be happy with less :) but not this much less :(

Top Tip. Take the roofbars off if you want to save on fuel

I will accept the fuel penalty for the racks :)

Hey Garethr

I average 33-35mpg (7-6 l/km) on tank with varying driving.

Varying driving - this should be me. I have questions for the service department tomorrow

1 - 16 of 16 Posts