Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Overall, it is easier than my old 2007 Santa Fe (larger belly cover with eight screws).

The 2020 just needs the passenger side belly cover removed, with four 10 mm screws and two plastic rivets--why didn't they just make these screws, as well--my only complaint.

The oil capacity is listed as 5.07 U.S. quarts, which is VERY nice, as in my opinion, you simply use an entire 5-quart jug and say close enough. No extra left over in the jug to worry about storing or when to use.

Ryan

·
Registered
51 Posts
Overall, it is easier than my old 2007 Santa Fe (larger belly cover with eight screws).

The 2020 just needs the passenger side belly cover removed, with four 10 mm screws and two plastic rivets--why didn't they just make these screws, as well--my only complaint.

Ryan
One of my four screws are longer than the other-3. I didn't recall which hole it was in - when inserting the four back to their original holes. I was also lacking new plastic rivets, which I later purchased a package of.

So for my next 4K OCI, I left the entire underbody shield off. It's still off and I did another oil change last week.

Which hole gets the longer screw.... anyone know?

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The longer one is the passenger side rear. I did notice that while taking them out this morning!

·
Registered
2020 Santa Fe Limited 2.0T AWD Stormy Sea
154 Posts

The oil capacity is listed as 5.07 U.S. quarts, which is VERY nice, as in my opinion, you simply use an entire 5-quart jug and say close enough. No extra left over in the jug to worry about storing or when to use.

Ryan

Get one of these and you'll have a much easier time dealing with the plastic fasteners.
Plastic Fastener Removal Tool

And as to why they're there in the first place: ease of assembly on the line is usually the answer. The 2 tabs fit in the slots making it easy to pop in the plastic fasteners which make it easier to install the 4 screws. I just changed the oil on my daughter's (my old) Elantra and it uses a mix of clips and screws as well, and it's a huge panel. The clips hold it in place so it's easier to put in the screws that actually secure it. If the lower panel on the SF was less of a structural component for the lower front bumper, I'd wager the engineers would have forgone the access panel altogether. Two pieces and a mating system cost more than a single panel.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
For removing the plastic rivets, I use an old dessert fork, and simply bend the center two tines apart a bit. It works quite well!

·
Registered
2019 Santa Fe Ultimate 2.0T HTRAC
618 Posts
Once you get the pin to pop up a bit, anything will do to complete the removal, scissor, fork, or plain man's grip. Hint, there might be debris trapped in the 4 fingers in the sleeve, the sleeve will not slide out even the pin is removed, hit the area a few times should free the debris.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts