Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2008 Sonata (which is new to me) makes sounds I don't like when I go over moderate bumps. To me it sounds like a loose ball joint. What I'm wondering is if I take it to my local stea... uh dealership, and nothing is wrong, will they try charging me some "diagnostic fee"? Obviously this sort of thing may vary by dealer, but I'm just wondering (before I go in and get a nasty surprise) if that sort of thing is common. Hopefully if it is in need of repair the warranty will cover it and I'll get out with my wallet still on my butt...

·
Banned
4,119 Posts
There have been many complaints about the Sonata's suspension in the past. But it's sure worth checking. No, if your car is still under warranty there is no reason why a dealer would charge you anything to check the car and diagnose a problem. Most of the issue we have with many car dealers (not necessarily Hyundai dealers) is that they're not too good at diagnosing or even acknowledging there IS a problem....

Maybe that's because nobody pays them to do that?............. :whistling: :whistling: :whistling:

·
Registered
96 Posts
My dealer once charged me an hours worth of labor plus shop fees for a problem they couldn't duplicate. It was a starting issue in really cold weather.

·
Registered
67 Posts
well your car is under warranty, so they shouldn't but some dealers will try to charge you if they dont find anything, one day they will, one day they won't happened to me a couple of times

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Stopped in this morning, they didn't have time to look at it, but he said there would be no diag or shop fee if no problem was found. If it turns out there is no problem and they try hitting me with that stuff when I go back, they will wish they hadn't. :)

Thanks for the replies.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
QUOTE (Negative 1 @ Dec 21 2010, 09:52 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=381984
Stopped in this morning, they didn't have time to look at it, but he said there would be no diag or shop fee if no problem was found.

Who is going to pay the tech for his time ?? Dealer techs are not paid hourly.. they get paid for time that you pay for, unless it is a warranty concern, in which Hyundai will pay.. But for tech to spend time for free looking at a car with rack time is not right.. I drive 77 mile trip 5 day a week, I aint got time to work for free..

If it turns out there is no problem and they try hitting me with that stuff when I go back, they will wish they hadn't. :)
ok....

Thanks for the replies.

How about I come to you for your job services and want free work ?? :whistling:

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Eh? What exactly did I do wrong? I didn't barge into the dealer, elbows wide, demanding a free evaluation. I simply stated the issue to the service advisor and asked if there would be a diagnostic or shop fee if no problem was found. The advisor said there wouldn't. The "they'll wish they hadn't" comment was based solely on the fact that I have already been told that there wouldn't be such a charge. What should I do--demand to be charged? So if the the dealer has to pay someone for no benefit, that's not my fault, nor is it my problem.

·
Banned
4,119 Posts
This is an interesting subject. Of course nobody wants to work for free. But there must be a balance here. I don't think it's fair for a car owner to be afraid to approach the dealer's shop if he suspects something is wrong.

Many times the mechanics won't be able to duplicate the problem, many times the technician is not capable enough to figure it out, and many times he just doesn't feel interested enough (or his manager tells him not to bother).... I had a weird issue (Sonata engine whining, years ago, which turned out to be the power steering pump) that my dealer's mechanic could not hear, playing dumb (the noise was very apparent), even after my 3rd visit, while another dealer's mechanic I went to caught it within 3 minutes of test driving my car, and fixed it.

But then there are those car owners who come back to the dealership repeatedly, always complaining, always suspecting, never happy. Of course, no dealer would be willing to waste his time and money on those kind of people.....

And then there are those car owners who are stuck with a Lemon.......

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well they drove it, racked it, and found no problem. I guess I'm just not used to the sounds these cars make, but to me it sounds like a loose ball joint or something. They should know better than me however.

There was no charge. And they did their "multi-point inspection" as well, which I appreciate, since I had no idea what state the brakes were in.

During an unrelated service visit to the other dealership in my area, I was made to wait 75 minutes (after my appointment time) before they even pulled the car in. No one said a word to me during that time. And then the tech kept leaving to pull other cars in and out for some strange reason. And I saw an extremely heavy employee leaning on my car as if it were a park bench or something.

Guess which dealership I'll go back to?

·
Banned
15 Posts
QUOTE (craigbrooks @ Dec 21 2010, 01:42 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=382093
Just out of curiousity SBR how does your shop handle something like this?
Just out of curiosity how does your shop handle this? Usually a Repair Ticket is written up with a Customer authorization for a minimum shop charge Not many shops will do diagnostic work for free? That is not part of the Limited New Car Warranty which comes with our Cars. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
Bad speelling aside.....thanks for pointing that out. I've always wondered how that was speelled. :whistling:

SBR did you change your name here? I would expect these things to be covered at least during the 12 month 12,000 mile adjustment period. Longer if I thought it was a problem.

:banana:

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
I cannot honestly answer the question,, I avoid the front lines with what goes on up front.

I get a ticket, it is either warranty, or customer pay, customer pay tickets usually have a minimum for test drive/noise, driveability, electrical diag and so on.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'm thinking that if the dollar figure isn't shown on the ticket, "customer pay" could turn out to be $0.

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
If it's like our shop the techs get a work order and punch their time on job and time off job on a time ticket. It is then up to the advisors to determine how that tech gets paid. ie: warranty...customer pay...etc. Of course we don't worry about warranty because we are only a used car store.

·
Banned
15 Posts
QUOTE (craigbrooks @ Dec 23 2010, 10:58 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=382767
If it's like our shop the techs get a work order and punch their time on job and time off job on a time ticket. It is then up to the advisors to determine how that tech gets paid. ie: warranty...customer pay...etc. Of course we don't worry about warranty because we are only a used car store.
Come on? No one works on your Car and then tells you what to pay. :whistling: In fact any shop that is licensed

must give an estimate before performing any work, at least in the United States. As we know the first year of the

Hyundai Limited New Car Warranty covers adjustments. After that you are on you own when it comes to perceived problems :liebe011:

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
QUOTE (Odo @ Dec 23 2010, 12:54 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=382806
As we know the first year of the Hyundai Limited New Car Warranty covers adjustments. After that you are on you own when it comes to perceived problems :liebe011:
Not necessarily; it seems that would be up to the shop. My car is a 2008 and while I'm still under the 5 year/60K warranty, obviously the "New Car Warranty" doesn't apply.

·
Banned
15 Posts
QUOTE (Negative 1 @ Dec 23 2010, 01:00 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=382808
Not necessarily; it seems that would be up to the shop. My car is a 2008 and while I'm still under the 5 year/60K warranty, obviously the "New Car Warranty" doesn't apply.
If your Washer pump stops spraying they might drive it in right away. If you say there is a ticking at high speeds, only on the Freeway

at 67 MPH, while exiting certain offramps, a shop will be glad to look at your Car. However do not expect free diagnostic work as a norm!

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I don't expect free diagnostic work, but I sure did appreciate what the dealer did for me the other day. They drove it 7 miles (yes I check these things fanatically), and racked it. If they did charge a fee, I'd expect it to be no more than whatever 15 minutes of work costs; maybe $25. But certainly no more, since they didn't spend any more time than that on it (actual time was less).

1 - 20 of 23 Posts