Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello all

I have a 2008 Accent - about 9 months ago I had to replace a coil pack. When I left the car place my check engine light came back on. I turned around and they said my Cat was "wet" and needed to dry out. (excessive fuel from the coil pack issue) they cleared the code. It came back. I stopped back in and he said I would need to address it at some point.

Fast forward to now

I was driving home and if felt like the car was shifting hard. I have an automatic so I figured maybe I was low on tranny fluid. I checked it, it was a little low but not excessive. I added a little bit. It was also not accelerating right.

The next day it was the same thing, then on the way home lost acceleration. It idles fine but when I step on gas it will rev up to about 2k and will drive slowly up to 15 / 20 miles an hour, seems to bog down, but seems to be breathing fine. Now, I want to point out I am NOT mechanical by any means. I know just enough to get myself in to trouble. I am however not afraid to try it just takes me longer.

I did some research and it was pointed out that it may be the TPS sensor. I changed out and no change.

I know it sounds like the Cat but I used a infrared thermometer to check before the Cats and behind them and both readings came out as the Cats are doing the job. Front was 400 + off front Cat and 600 + behind the front Cat. The rear had a reading of 200+ off the front of the rear Cat and 300+ behind it.

I know it's not that reliable but I don't have a tester at home and because of those numbers i am confused if maybe its a 02 sensor?

I had the tow truck driver stop at the auto parts place and had a tester put on it. Here are the codes that came back.

P0420
P2096
P2096
P0172
Misfire
Fuel
Comp
02 sensor
02 HTR

Any advice or help is greatly appreciated and please remember I am a novice

·
Registered
2007 Honda CRV
4,582 Posts
P420 cat operating below efficiency ... possible cat or O2 sensor issue (after cat, downstream sensor) or wiring issue
P2096 post cat O2 sensors show lean ... possible leak or O2 sensor issue (after cat, downstream sensor) or wiring issue
P0172 ehaust from cylinder too rich ... possible MAF or O2 sensor issue (after exhaust, upstream sensor) or wiring issue

Would look into the O2 sensors??

·
Registered
Drives : Nissan NV200 Flies : Rans S6ES
15,324 Posts
It idles fine but when I step on gas it will rev up to about 2k....seems to bog down.....P0420
Misfire history + bogging down + CAT efficiency trouble code all suggest a blocked CAT.

Try removing the upstream O2 sensor and see if the engine will rev better with the sensor removed from the exhaust. Removing the sensor will give the exhaust gas an escape route and allow the engine to breath. It's a quick and simple test so worth a shot.

Scottie.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Hello all

I have a 2008 Accent - about 9 months ago I had to replace a coil pack. When I left the car place my check engine light came back on. I turned around and they said my Cat was "wet" and needed to dry out. (excessive fuel from the coil pack issue) they cleared the code. It came back. I stopped back in and he said I would need to address it at some point.

Fast forward to now
Just out of curiosity...how long were you driving around with the bad coil? And the MIL (check engine light) has been on for the last 9 months?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Misfire history + bogging down + CAT efficiency trouble code all suggest a blocked CAT.

Try removing the upstream O2 sensor and see if the engine will rev better with the sensor removed from the exhaust. Removing the sensor will give the exhaust gas an escape route and allow the engine to breath. It's a quick and simple test so worth a shot.

Scottie.
Thank you I will try it tonight after work

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just out of curiosity...how long were you driving around with the bad coil? And the MIL (check engine light) has been on for the last 9 months?
I only drove it about 15 / 20 mins. I took it to the repair place right away. I had replaced two of the coil packs about a year prior (Different engine) so I knew the systems.

No, I had him clear the code the 2nd time.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Driving a short distance with a misfiring coil isn't going to damage the cat. What your mechanic said to you (i.e. you would "need to address it at some point") is curious. Was he implying the cat is failing or were there other problems that needed fixing? Catalytic converters can become worn over time (...you didn't state your vehicle's mileage), but if it does turn out to be clogged then there's likely some other underlying problem that resulted in the clogging. You can attempt to clean the cat (...there's many Youtube videos on this--some with some interesting methods), but you'll need to find out the root cause of why it got clogged up.

Anyway, good luck.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sorry I have been sick and didn't get a chance to look at it until today. I removed the sensor and it did run better. It still bogged down but allowed me to get up to around 40

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I removed the front cat and it is not the issue. The car runs better but still will only accelerate up to around 45 miles an hour and very slowly to get to that. I had the codes cleared last time and no check engine light has come back yet. I decided to change out the spark plugs and when I pulled the first coil pack it was covered half way with oil. Same as the next two. I bought a valve cover gasket and plan on changing that out in a bit. First one ever so wish me luck. My two questions are

Would the valve cover gasket foul out the spark plugs to where the engine will not go over 45? I figure that might be what was causing the issue with the cat. But, why would it stop it from accelerating over 45? A mechanic at my local auto parts place said to replace the transmission speed sensor does that sound right? Please remember I am not that mechanical but trying to learn. O2 sensor issue maybe?

·
Registered
Drives : Nissan NV200 Flies : Rans S6ES
15,324 Posts
A mechanic at my local auto parts place said to replace the transmission speed sensor does that sound right?
If the auto gearbox was in limp mode you'd have a trouble code logged to explain why. It might be worth having it scanned even although the CEL isn't on. Not all trouble codes cause the CEL to illuminate.
If you have a speed sensor trouble code logged then you might want to replace the sensor, but I wouldn't replace one when there isn't any evidence to suggest it's faulty.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts