Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2006 sonata gls 3.3l v6. There is a whining/slight squeaking noise coming from the drive belt when i turn the car on. When the noise started it would only occur when turning with the AC or Heat on. It then escalated to whenever i started the car and would go away after driving for a while. Now the noise continues even after a drive sometimes.. I've been told by a mechanic friend that the belt looks ok. So my plan is to take the passenger side tire off and the splash guard on that side to get at the tensioner for the belt. Once I have the belt off i plan on turning the various pulleys that the serpentine belt goes on to see if i can figure out which one is making the noise. Does this sound like a good idea? If not, are there any other suggestions on pinpointing where the noise is coming from? Thanks for any help.
Here's a link to a youtube video I put up with the noise my car is making............

·
Registered
87 Posts
Hi Stephen,

I had the same issue and it ended up being an idler pulley. Somebody on this forum suggested using a "car stethoscope" to figure out where the sound was coming from. I found a piece of tubing and carefully moved it around from pulley to pulley until I could hear the screeching the loudest. Just a thought.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Still private..

Whirring sound vary with speed -- 25286-3C250.. old part plastic, new part steel, oldest noise concern in book for LAMBDA.

With new part, you might consider carefully removing 1 of the dust shield from bearing, and packing in some real bearing grease to make bearing last longer, then re-install the dust/grease seal.

Reactions: himilcyclr

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
sorry about the confusion. I guess I was still logged into my account so i could see the video haha. I've now marked it as public so the video hopefully can be seen by anyone. I appreciate any and all the help.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
I appreciate any and all the help.
Refer to post #5,, Hyundai or Kia dealer should have it on shelf.. 3C250 is what we have in stock currently, previous number was 3C200.. check both number when you call.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi,
I also have the same problem. I first thought it was a squeaky air conditioner at the McDonalds drive thru, where I get my morning coffee. It is about a mile from my house. But when I got to my destination a mile further and checked the car. No sound. I check the car this morning after a cold night, with the hood up I could here the sound. After the engine warms up the sound goes away. Will have the dealer look at it when I bring it in for the rear end recall.

·
Registered
548 Posts
another option is actually pulling off the belt(s) and turn each pulley by hand. Looking for smooth spinning with no roller skate wheel feeling or sound. If you have a constant squeal and have multiple belts, pull one off at a time and run it for a short period to see if squeal persists... if no more sound refer to any of the pulleys or components driven off last belt removed.

SBR711 is usually on the money when it comes to parts and specific vehicle quirks being that he is a hyundai tech

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Look for seperated ring on the crank pulley... Had any issues wiith steering wheel feeling bumpy/notchie as wheel rotated, maybe worse with A/C compressor on too?

·
Registered
81 Posts
hi guys... i thought I might chime in here. I have a 2007 Hyundai Sonata 3.3 V6. I got this issue as well - whining / squealing only when the AC is on, usually when car is warmed up and the noise comes in long intervals (i.e. long whine / squeal, stop, then repeat), and is not impacted by car speed. Since my car was still under warranty, I went to the dealership to diagnose this issue. They changed the following in the following sequence through warranty:

Belt tensioner replaced
Drive belt replaced
Idler Pulley replaced (with the updated version)
Blower motor replaced

Still, I was getting this whining / squealing issue. The noise seems louder and more frequent in warmer weather. Both myself and the dealership were out of ideas but they suggested one last item - recharge the AC refrigerant, which they say also helps to replenish the oil used to lubricate the internals of the AC.

This helped to solve about 90% of the noise. I still get the noise here and then, but only in very short bursts and much less frequent. The dealership concluded that this is likely a noise with the evaporator valve due to design and aging. Anyways, I could try to replace the part (which apparently is very costly), but right now, I am happy with the current noise level and its frequency of popping up.

Just wanted to share that experience.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi,
I also have the same problem. I first thought it was a squeaky air conditioner at the McDonalds drive thru, where I get my morning coffee. It is about a mile from my house. But when I got to my destination a mile further and checked the car. No sound. I check the car this morning after a cold night, with the hood up I could here the sound. After the engine warms up the sound goes away. Will have the dealer look at it when I bring it in for the rear end recall.
Update:
Dropped of my car to the dealer yesterday, showed my cell phone video of my engine noise. When I picked up my car 8 hrs later, they said the mechanic could not duplicate the noise. I went out and started the car and the noise was back. Quickly got the mechanic, and he said it was just the serpentine belt that needed to be replaced.

·
Registered
548 Posts
hmmm....I don't know if that could be sole problem, it has happened though. Thanks for the update too. That's great when members do that. Have you changed the belt yet? Has the noise completely disappeared?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hey guys/gals, thanks for all the responses. Ive been quite busy and havent had a chance to really diagnose problem further. My plan is to take the belt off this week and check the pulleys and ill report back. As far as steering wheel sbr711 yes, the steerimg wheel does tighten when turning. Like u said it only happens when ac or heat is on and when it tightens the battery indicator light appears for a couple seconds and the fasten seatbelt light flashes about 5 times even though seatbelt is fastened. Ive only had it happen the first time I make a turn though after a cold startup, and after that it doesn't happen again while turning. The noise however is always there on startup even if ac and heat are not on.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Update:
Dropped of my car to the dealer yesterday, showed my cell phone video of my engine noise. When I picked up my car 8 hrs later, they said the mechanic could not duplicate the noise. I went out and started the car and the noise was back. Quickly got the mechanic, and he said it was just the serpentine belt that needed to be replaced.
Update: Yesterday I replaced both the Idler pulley and the serpentine belt and the noise in now gone. Left the car out in the 32 degree night just to make sure.

I was going to also replace the Tensioner pulley, but the new part would rub on the tensioner arm, looked out of round, so I put the original back.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I know this is an old thread but just got around to changing the harmonic balancer and idler pulley and noise is gone. The outer ring of balancer was beginning to separate and pushing inwards. Thanks for all the help.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts