Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I talked with a mechanic tonight about the problem I'm having with my engine getting hot enough to cause detonation with any fuel below 91 octane. He said that top end cleaning foam that they can squirt into the engine through the spark plug holes will not take care of any carbon deposits gathering around the piston rings.

I was looking around and came across Auto-RX for oil sludge removal. Anyone who has used this product care to share their experience? I'm wondering if a few treatments of this might help my situation.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I just purchased some Sea Foam from the local auto parts store. This seems to do the same thing as Auto-RX, but you can put it into the upper chamber through the vacuum hose to help clean out carbon there, it also can be added to the oil, and it can be put into the fuel system to help injectors and such.

Any recommendations on the Sea Foam application? I'll still be using the Auto-RX stuff, since I ordered 3 bottles of it, but this Sea Foam will hopefully provide a noted improvement right away.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I found a can of Sea Foam at my local auto parts store on sale for $8 and I had already purchased 3 bottles of this Auto RX stuff.

I used a small piece of wood to jam the throttle mechanism to around 2000 rpm, disconnected the vacuum hose from the brake booster (the engine would almost stall out without the higher rpm rev at this point). Slowly poured in about half the bottle contents and quickly turned off the engine for about 20 min. My hope is that this vacuum hose allowed the sea foam to distribute evenly to all 4 cylinders, but I'm not absolutely sure it did. Maybe someone could weigh in on whether it would have. While the car sat, I poured out 1/4th of the bottle into the gas tank and the rest into the oil system (this was recommended by the manufacturer, since this stuff is already petroleum based).

After the 20 min wait, I drove the car around "in a spirited fashion" revving all the gears up and doing as much as I could on the open road without getting pulled over for speeding. During this time a thick white smoke was coming out of my tailpipe, but it subsided greatly after about 5-10 min of driving.

During my drive the check engine light was solid, and my car was chugging and missing beats when it would idle. I took the car in and the code was showing a missfire on cylinders 3 and 4. I think I messed up the spark plugs, so I just got new spark plugs and everything ran great after that.

After a few days I am not having the pinging problems I was encountering before when I used 87 octane gas. The car has a noticeable extra amount of pep/horsepower, nothing mind blowing, but it is noticeable.

I'm going ahead and run the Auto RX treatment that is supposed to be great for removing oil sludge in the engine. This stuff is strictly for the oil system.

I'm happy with how the car is running from just an $8 investment. The local shop wanted $80 to run a cleaning solution through the combustion chamber.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts