Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I noticed a weird dent in the hard plastic dash to the right of the steering wheel... Why is it there?

·
Registered
894 Posts
Today I noticed a weird dent in the hard plastic dash to the right of the steering wheel... Why is it there?
hmmm... mine does not have that... but I have the starter push button so its maybe just a different panel shape.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
And I don't have it with the push button start either. Could it be "room" to allow the key to turn?

·
22,793 Posts
That's commonly referred to as the "Knuckle Clearance Disenthrall Device." :laughing: (How many of you are rushing to your online dictionary? C'mon...fess up!)

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Someone would need to have pretty big hands to rub against the dash when turning the key... :p

·
22,793 Posts
I'm wondering if it isn't actually an engineered design to minimize the protrusion and soothe the flow from the upper column cover, downward toward the underside? If not for that dimple, my eye sees it protruding outward in an awkward configuration. Someone may have goofed during the CAD software modeling on that one.

Not a lot different from the license plate lights not being equidistant from each other under the trunk lip. Almost a "design by afterthought."

·
22,793 Posts
What about with the telescoping steering wheel pushed all the way in?
Aha! That has merit...but then there's the "push button start" dash consoles that do not have it. Or I read the thread posts incorrectly.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
What about with the telescoping steering wheel pushed all the way in?
Aha! That has merit...but then there's the "push button start" dash consoles that do not have it. Or I read the thread posts incorrectly.
I think that's it.. My steering wheel in the picture is fully extended, I did not realize that.

And people with the push button start don't need room for their fist when they turn the key.

·
22,793 Posts
Someone call one of the factories in Ulsan or Montgomery and ask to speak with a design or manufacturing engineer. :wink2:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts