Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are the Denso's that much better...more than twice the price? (I'm not cheap, just thrifty!) :blush:

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Sorry, my responses are for the 2.0T. Looks like for yours, denso may still be the OEM:

Ebay can get you them ~$12.60 a piece

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't think there is an exact NGK replacement for the 2.4...sorry for wasting your time! :blush:

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
As per our PM. Get the Denso ones I linked you to. Or go to the dealer and get the dealer boxed Denso plugs. Same thing.

·
Registered
13,349 Posts
Are the Denso's that much better...more than twice the price? (I'm not cheap, just thrifty!) :blush:

Since I have Toyotas, I find that either is a good choice.

I tried Bosch, I gave up on Camps a LONG time ago in foreign cars, and I keep going back to Densos or NGKs.

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
The rest of the ignition system is designed with these plugs in mind. Using another plug with different characteristics could have negative effects.

In terms of quality, NGK Laser Series Plugs (which Nissan uses) go for the same price. But NGK does not have an official listing for our application (2.4)

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
The rest of the ignition system is designed with these plugs in mind. Using another plug with different characteristics could have negative effects.

Could you quote a test that backs this up?

Use the search feature on the forum. If not use Google. Bunch of resources on it.

·
Registered
413 Posts
My question is about the 'system being designed with these plugs in mind'

I have used the search function. I cannot find a link that answers this question. I see lots of opinions about 'this make is better than that make', NOT about the design of the system.

My question stands.

Can you assist? or are you just preaching your preference?

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
My question is about the 'system being designed with these plugs in mind'

I have used the search function. I cannot find a link that answers this question. I see lots of opinions about 'this make is better than that make', NOT about the design of the system.

My question stands.

Can you assist? or are you just preaching your preference?
No just to lazy to pull everything up. Quick thing to think about. Why so many part numbers for plugs? Different metals offer different characteristics. Different heat ranges. Contact denso or ngk and get technical specs on a coil from a Hyundai and compare it to a Nissan Toyota volkswagen. To test a coil via ohm resistance they have different test values ? Different pinouts. Different amount of pins. Look up the different types of ignition systems. See if your local college offers an automotive theroy class in regards to engine systems.

Just Google "theory of automotive ignition systems". Then after that Google specifics. Like specific types. Resistance/ voltage output....etc

My answer to which plug should be used is narrowed down by a parts catalogue lookup. And the other two options were champion and another brand. Both were not iridium like the oem plug. For this application I wouldn't put anything else in except the desno.

Reactions: Bearcats

·
Registered
8,184 Posts
I prefer the Denso twin tip iridium plugs. Beware as NGK and Denso use opposite heat range numbers.

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Is this too good to be true? You do have to wait 2 weeks!

https://tinyurl.com/yazekmkb

I did notice none of the reviews pertain to this particular plug!

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
I agree with old’s cool. No specific imperical data, just four decades of working on cars. Even though Mr Champion the car racer helped create the spark plug, I’ve never had great luck with them. Even had the platinum tip fall off a six month old plug.

Bosch are fine on German cars which I drove at one time.

AC delco I believe are owned by NGK for a few years now, have used them without issues on Hyundai cars for high mileage.

Spark plugs are like tires, difficult head to head comparison sometimes.

My 2 cents.

·
Registered
13,349 Posts

I would never have guessed that from your avatar...>:D

Reactions: DarrenBach

·
Registered
413 Posts
No just to lazy to pull everything up. Quick thing to think about. Why so many part numbers for plugs? Different metals offer different characteristics. Different heat ranges. Contact denso or ngk and get technical specs on a coil from a Hyundai and compare it to a Nissan Toyota volkswagen. To test a coil via ohm resistance they have different test values ? Different pinouts. Different amount of pins. Look up the different types of ignition systems. See if your local college offers an automotive theroy class in regards to engine systems.

Just Google "theory of automotive ignition systems". Then after that Google specifics. Like specific types. Resistance/ voltage output....etc

My answer to which plug should be used is narrowed down by a parts catalogue lookup. And the other two options were champion and another brand. Both were not iridium like the oem plug. For this application I wouldn't put anything else in except the desno.

Smoke......I am extremely up to date with specs of pretty much every part that there is, that contributes to an internal combustion engine.

I am totally unaware of anything that links the design of ANY Hyundai engine to a specific spark plug.

I know you are struggling to find a link yourself, because that link simply does not exist.

Why is it so hard for you to ...

a) answer my question and post a link that provides a link, any link, between the DESIGN of any Hyundai engine to a Denso plug

b) admit you are wrong

Bit sad really...........

·
Registered
8,184 Posts
Smoke......I am extremely up to date with specs of pretty much every part that there is, that contributes to an internal combustion engine.

I am totally unaware of anything that links the design of ANY Hyundai engine to a specific spark plug.

I know you are struggling to find a link yourself, because that link simply does not exist.

Why is it so hard for you to ...

a) answer my question and post a link that provides a link, any link, between the DESIGN of any Hyundai engine to a Denso plug

b) admit you are wrong

Bit sad really...........
The 2L turbo in the Gen Coupe has specifically designed plugs for the motors. When they added more HP they went from a Denso to a NGK but they are not just common plugs with direct aftermarket replacements.

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
I am extremely up to date with specs of pretty much every part that there is, that contributes to an internal combustion engine.

Whats your automotive certification?
Professional forum troll. ?

If he actually did what I said he would of had answers to his question by the fifth page of his Google results.

Some good responses by other forum members in regards to there persional experiences with plugs and plug types. I'm just going to say... Never Bosch oh God ?. Unless that's what the oem plug is.

Rule of thumb. You install what came out. No problems. The ONLY time it was ever a problem was when you owned a Triton Ford in the mid 2000's. ?

Reactions: OKBill

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
The 2L turbo in the Gen Coupe has specifically designed plugs for the motors. When they added more HP they went from a Denso to a NGK but they are not just common plugs with direct aftermarket replacements.
that may have nothing to do with preference. it might be tooling. denso may not be able to supply the new plugs fast enough, and ngk could. exact scenario happened a couple of times with bmw. when the m42 first came out, it had these wierd tri electrode platform plugs by bosch. bosch plugs were oe on all bmw up till then. the plugs for some reason, set off the knock sensor, which pulled timing and fuel on an already weak engine. bmw went to an ngk plug, because bosch either couldnt tool up in time, or didnt want to. them germans are kinda stuffy. eventually, the engines started coming with bosch plugs, but it took a couple of years. i remember owners coming back after the plugs were changed to ngk, and asking what we did, because the car had more power. they were happy till later on, when they encountered the profile gasket fiasco(and another oe manufacturer change). after that, it was the water pump with the composite impeller.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts