Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anybody done this? I find it very annoying that the A/C comes on automatically when the defroster is turned on.
Thanks.

·
Registered
81 Posts
If I needed the a/c on, I'd turn it on. My old civic would turn it on automaticly, but you could hit the a/c button to turn it off but stiff use the blower. I think they did it to cycle the a/c to lube the compressor.

But, have not heard how to defeat this :dry:

·
Registered
419 Posts
It is actually good for your vehicle to run the A/C once in a while. Wether heating or cooling. Heating/defrosting should not hurt mpg. Don't always think of A/C as cold air, but rather "Air conditioning" that should be used not only for warm weather, but cool/cold weather as well. I understand the gripe, but obviously the mfgr. set it up that way for a reason. However, the buttons are there to be turned on or off...to each their own I guess.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Turn on the Defrost and quickly press the Air Intake button 5 or 6 times. The light on the button should flash. Now when you turn on the defrost, the air will come on, but so will the light on the A/C button. If you press the button, the air will shut off.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Turn on the Defrost and quickly press the Air Intake button 5 or 6 times. The light on the button should flash. Now when you turn on the defrost, the air will come on, but so will the light on the A/C button. If you press the button, the air will shut off.
FANTASTIC. Works perfect. Just what I wanted. Thanks. I owe you one!

·
Registered
81 Posts
:beer:

·
Registered
176 Posts
I'll try this too. Sometimes the ac makes it too cold when it's raining outside

·
Registered
788 Posts
It is pretty standard for most makes and models that the compressor comes on in defrost mode. Generally people just assume A/C is only for cold air. That is just not the case. It is an air conditioner. Meaning that it regulates many things beside just air temperature. Humidity is one of them. The defrost feature sucks without the compressor on and in most vehicle you do not have a choice, it just comes on in defrost mode. It is completely normal and by design.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
I'll try this too. Sometimes the ac makes it too cold when it's raining outside
If it's too cold, turn up the heat a bit until the temperature is the way you want it.

I often use the A/C with in combination with the heater when it's 65-70 degrees outside and raining.

The damp air runs over the AC evaporator fins and loses moisture as it cools. Then it blows over the heater core fins and the relative humidity drops even further as the air warmed back up. (This is the 'conditioning' part).. It makes it nice and dry in the cabin.

Cars with automatic air conditioning do this for you. It's programed in.... If you're familiar with stand-alone home dehumidifiers, they work exactly the same way. They remove humidity by cooling the air, then warming it up again so there's no temperature change.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I think I can figure it out, thanks :thumbsup:
Run a/c when starting to clear. Cycle it on as needed to clear any moisture. I do not like running the a/c if it is not needed.

·
Registered
838 Posts
I think I can figure it out, thanks :thumbsup:
Run a/c when starting to clear. Cycle it on as needed to clear any moisture. I do not like running the a/c if it is not needed.
Me either! :rolleyes: Check your owners manual all the info should be in there, It was for my 2011 Sportage EX.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Thanks for the info. I understand why the A/C comes on, I just like having control so that I can turn it off should I want to. Now that I've set the system for allowing me to control the operation of the defroster, is there a technique for restoring it back to the original mode of operation (not that I want to)?

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
I found it in the RB owner's manual on page 4-79. I've gone over the manual pretty closely, but I missed that. It also points out that the AC is activated in two of the switch positions.. Defrost, and Defrost+Feet.

·
Registered
398 Posts
I found it in the RB owner's manual on page 4-79. I've gone over the manual pretty closely, but I missed that. It also points out that the AC is activated in two of the switch positions.. Defrost, and Defrost+Feet.
Yup, there it is. I too completely missed that one.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts