Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
I ordered a Santa Fe with an online dealer mid August. I am still waiting hear if it has actually arrived at Tilbury dock. The dealer is keeping particularly quiet, saying he is waiting to hear back.
I have ordered an auto premium 7seat.
Does anyone know if there is a general delay on these at the moment? Or, I did hear they are having problems with the auto box ... not sure how true that is??
Thanks

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
QUOTE (wreptile @ Nov 26 2010, 01:57 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=374858
Hi
I ordered a Santa Fe with an online dealer mid August. I am still waiting hear if it has actually arrived at Tilbury dock. The dealer is keeping particularly quiet, saying he is waiting to hear back.
I have ordered an auto premium 7seat.
Does anyone know if there is a general delay on these at the moment? Or, I did hear they are having problems with the auto box ... not sure how true that is??
Thanks
Normal delivery to UK for automatic versions is 8-10 weeks.

Maybe your online dealer is stringing you along as he doesn't actually have a car to sell you.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I can't answer your exact question but I ordered mine (7 seat Premium manual) with an online broker at the end of January and didn't get delivery until beginning of July! The broker actually ordered it at the beginning of February so it took 5 months to come! Broker was not to blame though. Hyundai were having issues with high demand at the time I think - either parts or manufacturing. The broker couldn't get much info out of Hyundai.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
When ordering a new car through an online dealer who in turn uses a hyundai dealer somewhere, should I expect to know where the vehicle is? I was told that they dont let you know where your exact car is until it is on its way to the dealer. So they say that they cant tell me if it has arrived at the dock. Is that reasonable?

·
Registered
501 Posts
Sorry, but I don't understand why you go through on-line brokers. Are there no dealers in you area?

As far as I know, auto companies only sell to their dealers. So if a broker gets involved, he has to get the vehicle from a dealer. Just another party to make a profit.

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
QUOTE (trucker @ Nov 29 2010, 08:36 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=375575
Sorry, but I don't understand why you go through on-line brokers. Are there no dealers in you area?

As far as I know, auto companies only sell to their dealers. So if a broker gets involved, he has to get the vehicle from a dealer. Just another party to make a profit.
It may be different in different national markets - in the UK, the company car dominates as 60% of all new car sales are in that sector - this has led to artificially high list prices on which dealers margins are based - but manufacturers also sell big volume to fleet buyers at much lower prices sometimes less than half even though these cars are supplied through dealers - online brokers are able to tap into these fleet sales and sell them retail at discounted prices.

The problem with online brokers, as the OP is probably finding, is that the broker has no direct access to the ordering system so can never commit a delivery date until they physically have the vehicle available.

There is also a practice in the UK of "pre-registration" where dealers are encouraged to register new cars and then sell them as nearly new, ie discounted from list price - again brokers tap into the supply of these vehicles but can't control the supply.

I looked at using a broker for my recent order but was able to get fairly close to their figure by using one of Hyundai UK's disability affinity schemes which gives 14% discount on Santa Fe - but I've still got to wait 8-10 weeks because I want an automatic transmission.

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
QUOTE (canderson @ Dec 1 2010, 01:20 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=375946
Good heavens - with margins like that (and knowing the broker had to have made a few quid as well), the dealers should be chauffeuring the bloody things for you!
Some brands have even higher margins in the UK, over 20% in some cases.

The UK, and Europe generally, has a less regulated market than North America, manufacturers list price cannot be enforced, dealers cost price varies with volume and there are no import tariffs, on cars anyway.

·
Registered
501 Posts
^^ Don't see how that is any different than in North America. Manufacturers list prices cannot be inforced? Of course not. They are 'suggested' prices. Dealer cost varies with volume? Of course. Many other factors involved well.

I just don't believe that a manufacturer will sell their products to 'brokers' for less than their own dealers. Makes no sense. To me, anyway.

·
Registered
169 Posts
QUOTE (trucker @ Dec 1 2010, 08:06 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=376043
^^ Don't see how that is any different than in North America. Manufacturers list prices cannot be unforced? Of course not. They are 'suggested' prices. Dealer cost varies with volume? Of course. Many other factors involved well.

I just don't believe that a manufacturer will sell their products to 'brokers' for less than their own dealers. Makes no sense. To me, anyway.
They don't, however the broker has lower overheads and no targets therefore undercuts the dealer, same as a fleet buyer

·
Registered
10 Posts
QUOTE (Ruperts Trooper @ Dec 1 2010, 07:21 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=376006
Is that as 1st or 2nd registered owner?

As I stated, the Hyundai UK disability affinity scheme is almost as good - I'll be the 1st registered owner and it keeps the dealer on my side.
It was a pre-reg. It was purchased new via a fleet company so I'm the 2nd keeper but as I plan to keep it for a good few years then it shouldn't be a problem. It will probably only be worth a few grand when I come to sell it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
We also ordered through a broker, auto premium.... 4k saving from new.

Ordered June for 6 week delivery........ got to july... then august, then told september....... then told Hyundai pulled the plug on them as they were getting complaints from dealers who couldn't compete.

So, saved myself 12k and bought a 07 plate with 30k on the clock, CDX 7 seater manual. Very pleased with it. Glad I didn't bother in the end......

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
told it is now January delivery. Least I get an "06" 2011 UK plate. just still dont get how they cant tell me where the car is ,however, I do hear that the Hyundai ordering system is somewhat very basic.

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
QUOTE (Ianthescot @ Dec 10 2010, 07:13 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=378571
How does that work out then with the VAT increase?
If it's delivered and paid for on/after 4th January then VAT at the new higher rate applies - if it's paid for by 3rd Jan then the existing lower rate of VAT applies.

My SF won't be delivered until mid-January at earliest - given the choce and availability of funds I'll pay for it early saving 472 GBP.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
yes extra VAT applies on 4 Jan..... but depends on how you can negotiate the dealer paying for it or at least meeting you half way??

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
QUOTE (wreptile @ Dec 20 2010, 07:50 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=381753
yes extra VAT applies on 4 Jan..... but depends on how you can negotiate the dealer paying for it or at least meeting you half way??
It's easy for the dealer - all they have to do is invoice you on/before 3rd Jan - as long as you pay in full within 6 months or on delivery, whichever comes first, the VATman is happy.

To go back to the OP's question - there are no delays on Santa Fe - factory orders are being built, shipped and delivered in 8 weeks - if you've waited longer than that you've been shafted!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts