Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, question for ya! I have had my GT since April and all of a sudden i noticed that everytime i put on the front defrost and or the defrost/feet, that the A/C comes on everytime! I can switch to front heat or bi-level heat and it goes off, but everytime i put on defrost it comes on. I have to manually shut it off myself everytime, anyone else come across this?? I has never done this until recently. Also, i dont have the auto climate control, just the manual version. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Watch this video.

Hyundai Elantra GT disable defogging logic - YouTube

A/c helps defrost, that's why it automatically comes on by default.

Thanks...i just watched it!! I guess when i was messing around with the PTC heater i must have disabled it. It all makes sense now. I prefer it disabled and i can just manually turn on or off the A/C. I prefer not to be driving around with the compressor on when its 20 degrees out! thanks again!

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
You can turn your compressor off, but don't expect it to defog as well. You need to dry the air, not just heat it. In fact, cold dry air will clear it faster, and a clean windshield clears even faster.

·
Registered
8,626 Posts
When it's really cold the AC doesn't do much for the defrost. I like disabling it and if you need it just toggle the AC button.

·
Registered
8,626 Posts
Yes when it's really cold it is nice to not have the AC running. You can definitely tell as it warms up and the windows fog that the AC on helps. Still it is nice to be able to toggle it.

·
Registered
370 Posts
When my car was new I got caught in a surprise snowfall. The window looked clear, but 30 seconds later it was like somebody dropped a blanket over the windows. It hasn't happened since, but I left my defroster A/C setting in the default mode. I usually run at a neutral temperature, so there's room to adjust the heat up if I want, and if it's cold outside, we've got the PTC heater in the GT.

·
Registered
674 Posts

·
Registered
616 Posts
A/C stands for "air conditioning", meaning it conditions the air, whether you want the temp hot or cold. It's not just for making it colder. As others have mentioned, it removes humidity which helps to defog/defrost faster. Having the A/C on with heat does not make the air coming out cooler.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Having the A/C on with heat does not make the air coming out cooler.
That's true. The only time when I run Defrost without A/C is in Spring or Fall, when I want fresh outside air, but not cooled air, and not heated either, and I don't want it in my face or feet.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for all the replies! This is not my first rodeo...haha...and i am fully aware of how the A/C works and how it helps "defog" the windows...that is not an issue here in the north east in the winter...i just need the defrost to clear the ice on the windshield. I am also award that the A/C wont blow cold air out with the heat setting to max heat...haha. Like i stated i dont need the compressor on when its 20 degrees out and i think i can handle noticing that the windows are "fogged" up and i can then just manually put on the A/C to help...but thanks again fellas!

·
Registered
343 Posts
I just tried repeatedly to disable the logic on my GT, with no luck. Does anyone know how to make this work with an Auto A/C unit? Maybe it's just no possible.

Geoff

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
I just tried repeatedly to disable the logic on my GT, with no luck. Does anyone know how to make this work with an Auto A/C unit? Maybe it's just no possible.
Try this, it's from the MD manual. Strangely the whole defogging logic section is removed from the GT manual... So basically you do the same procedure but while pressing the A/C button simultaneously.

Automatic climate control system
1. Turn the ignition switch to the ON position.
2. Select the defrost position pressing
defrost button ( ).
3. While holding the air conditioning button
(A/C) pressed, press the air intake
control button at least 5 times within 3
seconds.
The indicator on the air intake control
button blinks 3 times with 0.5 second of
interval. It indicates that the defogging
logic is canceled or returned to the programmed
status.
If the battery has been discharged or disconnected,
the system resets to the programmed
defogging logic.

·
Registered
8,626 Posts
I've always wanted to put an LED wired to the AC clutch coil that would indicate when the clutch is being commanded on.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts