Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After 3 1/2 months of conversations and testing, is clear to me that my Hyundai’s radio is too darn slow in “answering” Bluetooth “phone calls” carrying spoken navigation instructions from my iPhone 5.

The car is not opening the Bluetooth gateway or whatever it’s called, until 2 or 3 seconds after the navigation app has started speaking. Was HOPING it was the phone, but finally got the mechanic at Hyundai to try with his Android and it didn’t work at all. And my co-worker’s IPhone 10 had same problem as mine.

Now am on a mission to get Hyundai to put in a new radio at their expense. What’s the best approach? And how feasible is it technologically? Any more complicated than just going to the aftermarket (bestbuy, etc.)?

And please don’t bother mentioning Apple Play or Bluetooth Audio Streaming. I want to be able to listen to Radio or a USB stick,and still get spoken navigation instructions that break in to the programming. Just like I was promised I would be able to CONTINUE doing when I traded my 2015 Elantra.

·
Registered
7 Posts
After reading though some of your earlier posts, I have to ask...

...are you sure this is the right car for YOU?

If not, I would hold off on making ANY modifications, take the best possible care of it that you can, and bide your time until you can get out from under it. That’s what I did, and this past weekend, after 15 months of driving my 2017 SE, I traded it in for a 2015 SE. i’m happier than a pig in slop. The ADs are great cars, and I’m not about to debate the AD vs the MD with people who have forgotten more about cars than I will ever know. I just know what I like, and right, wrong, or indifferent, I like fifth generation Elantras.

Life is too short to have something that’s supposed to make your life better aggravate the **** out of you.

To answer your specific question, I think you will have a hard time persuading Hyundai to do anything but replace your stock system with an identical one. It has also become very difficult to replace any stock system with an aftermarket system in general unless a) You are an experienced car audio enthusiast or b) You’re willing to pay a hefty sum to have a professional shop with a good reputation to do it for you.

I miss the days when a $150 Alpine, an installation kit, a pair of Infinity coaxials, and a good road atlas could solve most of these problems. :wink:

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
As aggravated as I am about the Bluetooth issue (and a couple other nuisances), I still like my 2018.

I tend to forget that my 2015 had the “airplane taking off” sensation on the highway, and the 2018 drives like it should....or at least how I think it should.

And if you asked me 4 months ago if I would trade Bluetooth for better traction (and 40000 less miles) U would have said yes. But that’s not the way it went down as I didn’t find out the Bluetooth issue until AFTER the purchase, so different feeling.

But thank you for helping me put things back in perspective a little. ?

·
Registered
982 Posts
Agree with Tom. A new one is going to work exactly the way the current one works. At some point, cut your losses, and buy a different vehicle, or replace the sound system.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
replace the vehicle because the radio has poor design? Nope.

Yes.. I know a new unit of the same radio will work the same. I sat in another brand new unsold Elantra on the lot a couple weeks after buying mine and it had the same issue. It is not a malfunction, but it IS a design flaw.

It is the principal of the matter that counts. There is no sound reason (pun intended) why a car this technologically advanced cannot perform the simple task of playing a navigation instruction sent as a Bluetooth phonecall without losing the first 2 or 3 seconds of information.

As much as I am impressed with the overall reliability of all 4 of the Hyumdai's I have owned, the last 2 Elantra's have both had what I consider to be serious flaws that should have been corrected before the cars left the assembly line.

2015 - No spare tire other carmakers did this that year, but still stinks
- sound system that sounded like a transistor radio until I added a sub- woofer in the trunk, thereby losing trunk space
- very bad tires unsuitable for winter driving with too hard rubber bad tread pattern (Hancook somethings)
- bad suspension, resulting in car "ready for liftoff" on highways

2018 - Poorly designed remote that opens the trunk after button is pushed for only a second, accidentally or otherwise.
- Radio with 2-3 second delay in answering Bluetooth Navigation
instructions sent as phone calls.

I did eventually correct all the flaws in my 2015 (including trading it in to get rid of the crappy suspension), and while the 2018's list is much shorter and less troubling (despite my complaints) and it drives much better, I see zero reason why I should just learn to live without a feature (the Bluetooth navigation) that was/is touted as STANDARD. It's not a frill. It's something I had on the identical 2015 model and was told I would still have on the 2018. And I don't. Therefore it needs to be rectified. If it [eventually] has to be at my own expense... so be it. But Hyundai put a sub-standard radio in the car and should fix that.

So far I seem to be the only person on the planet (or at least the only Hyundai owner, cause I have seen posts in other car forums) that has this problem or is speaking up about it. But that doesn't make it ok, and I have to believe that there are others out there that are just as mad or at least disappointed they no longer have the use of the navigation feature in the manner in which they're accustomed (i.e. passively and wirelessly!).

Did I mention previously that I could easily have held out for another Elantra with Navigation included? I could have. But when told this one would work with my phone's apps, decided I didn't need the built in navigation. All the dealer had to say was that they weren't sure. But they told me the phone's navigation apps would work. So someone needs to pay to make that happen. If not with money than they'll pay by me being a thorn in their sides till I get some satisfaction for the aggravation they've caused me, unintentional or not.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I’m glad you like the car outside of the two specific issues you’re having. I just had to ask because of my own experience with upgrading to a sixth gen and deciding to go back to a fifth gen. We’re all different in terms of what car is the best fit for us.

Have you tried going to a local car audio/navigation shop to get their opinion? The problem you’re going to have with Hyundai is finding someone that truly understands what your issue is. I think you’ll have much better luck with experts in the car infotainment system business in terms of identifying what’s actually causing the problem and what your options are to fix it. Then you can go back to Hyundai if need be with some concrete support for your argument. Who knows? One of these shops may only need five minutes to tweak your phone or system and solve the problem for free.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you. For understanding where I’m coming from (I don’t hate my car) and for your suggestion to talk to an aftermarket expert first....before I start a war with Hyundai or the dealer.

Actually did talk informally about the problem with an installer at BestBuy that has done good work for me, but was there for something else, and still expected the dealer would come through. AND they still might, do I didn’t pursue to the point of setting up an appointment. But like the idea of getting the appropriate terminology or jargon (and maybe an actual diagnosis) from BestBuy first. If nothing else, there has to be a technical term to describe the problem vs having to give examples and/or demonstrate it in someone’s presence.

I’ll get in touch with the installer and see how it goes. And he’s honest and won’t try to push me to buy a new radio unless everything else fails.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts