Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks, check your right rear map light (if equipped) car, and I bet it'll get stuck like on my car, and FIVE other new cars I tried at the dealer's lot. To make it pop back out just press around the perimeter of the plastic, and it'll pop back out, then you'll have to press it and pop it once more to turn it off.

Now, don't even bother taking it to dealer because ALL I tried were like that. What I want to do is sand it down myself and fix the little issue. Checked the manual, and the picture on that light is NOT the one on my car (one piece, vs 2 in mine), but I surmise the way to remove it is by popping the lenses out too, but there's hardly any space to do that, especially on the defective one. I'm thinking of trying to remove the whole thing, by trying to pop the whole assembly out, then mess with it.

Hey, I notified you of the possible defect, now it's the turn of somebody else to figure out how to remove it and let us know :banana: . Curious how many more have this issue. Just bought my car off the truck, with a manufacturing date of 4/30/10, as a reference. Let us know.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I just noticed this last night too. I took off the rear left map cover off so I could see what kind of bulb was in it. By the way, I can't figure out how to take the bulb out so it looks like I won't be replacing it with an LED. After I put the cover back on I pushed both lights and the right was messed up like you described. I had thought I messed it up when I took off the left cover. Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
QUOTE (tefunk @ May 15 2010, 07:17 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=323241
After I put the cover back on I pushed both lights and the right was messed up like you described. I had thought I messed it up when I took off the left cover. Thanks for the info!
My pleasure. Hey, how did you remove the lens? And any damage? Besides removing the rear one to fix it, I need to remove the front ones to drop the console and hardwire my V1. Did the same with my Hondas, which have the same method of removing the lenses, but Hondas have a wider gap. The M3 was a PITA to drop down, and to hardwire, but the Sonata should be as simple as the Hondas IMO.

The best way to fix the problem is sand the lens down a little, polish it, and reinstall it. I volunteer to try it and post my method, but can you please tell me how you removed the lens? I see very little space to avoid damage, especially with a screwdriver (the surrounding plastic dents easily). I have many plastic trim tools, but doubt I can insert one with such a small gap. Thanks in advance for the info.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Both rear ones are fine with mine. I took the cover off both to see if I could change to LED, it's possible but you will need to remove that metal surround. Not worth the cost at the moment for me. Just went and push both in and out and neither stuck after 40 times. To get the cover off I push in on it and hold it in, with it in it gives the gap to insert small flat head screwdriver to pry the cover off, no damage to cover or plastic surround. I think the non-sunroof car as the one piece light where the sun roof ones have the dual light.

·
Registered
14 Posts
QUOTE (elp_jc @ May 15 2010, 06:33 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=323236
Hey folks, check your right rear map light (if equipped) car, and I bet it'll get stuck like on my car, and FIVE other new cars I tried at the dealer's lot. To make it pop back out just press around the perimeter of the plastic, and it'll pop back out, then you'll have to press it and pop it once more to turn it off.

Now, don't even bother taking it to dealer because ALL I tried were like that. What I want to do is sand it down myself and fix the little issue. Checked the manual, and the picture on that light is NOT the one on my car (one piece, vs 2 in mine), but I surmise the way to remove it is by popping the lenses out too, but there's hardly any space to do that, especially on the defective one. I'm thinking of trying to remove the whole thing, by trying to pop the whole assembly out, then mess with it.

Hey, I notified you of the possible defect, now it's the turn of somebody else to figure out how to remove it and let us know :banana: . Curious how many more have this issue. Just bought my car off the truck, with a manufacturing date of 4/30/10, as a reference. Let us know.
I have the same problem, just the one side. I will be taking it to the dealer, and they will have to try to figure out how to fix it... why do have a warranty if they won't fix it?

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
QUOTE (Souks @ May 15 2010, 09:56 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=323281
To get the cover off I push in on it and hold it in, with it in it gives the gap to insert small flat head screwdriver to pry the cover off, no damage to cover or plastic surround.
Excellent advice; thank you very much. I'll try that in the morning.

QUOTE (JeremyJDe @ May 15 2010, 10:16 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=323287
I will be taking it to the dealer, and they will have to try to figure out how to fix it... why do have a warranty if they won't fix it?
I much prefer to fix those easily fixable things myself. Not only because dealer is 40 miles away, but because as I said, ALL other cars had the same problem, so why bother wasting my time to take car to dealer so they can duplicate issue, then go back again later on only to get another bad part installed, which will take me 5 minutes to fix? Besides, I enjoy those challenges :grin: .

Glad to hear Souks doesn't have a problem. I should have attached a poll; oh well. Thanks again for the comments.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Took it apart and right side had more 'flashing' than the left. Removed it and now returns most of the times, but gets stuck if pushed slowly. Will sand it a little more. Probably a bad batch. Guess folks buying right now will probably experience it more. By the way, no need to use any tools: just push lens all the way in (to turn on), and stick finger nails on the back of the lens (in the middle of the housing) and pull down.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Check mine earlier tonight - same thing - right hand side is stuck - will try the sanding trick.

Edit: Sanding the burrs off the lens improved things slightly but it is still stuck

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Bought my 2007 Santa Fe new. It also had the sticking button problem on the map light. I removed it and sanded the excess plastic. Worked just great after a few minutes of work.

Apparently, Hyundai just can't get these minor problems solved prior to production release.

David <><

·
Registered
594 Posts
Bought my 2007 Santa Fe new. It also had the sticking button problem on the map light. I removed it and sanded the excess plastic. Worked just great after a few minutes of work.

Apparently, Hyundai just can't get these minor problems solved prior to production release.

David <><

I have a hunch that it is due to chasing tighter and tighter tolerances. The slight burr that I have noticed is certainly not at all unexpected. Though the tolerances for a plastic part is some of the tightest that I have seen.

I will take the whole light fitting out later today to see if it is not caused by a combination of slight deformation and the tight tolerances when mounted.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I checked mine at dealer when I stopped in for oil change. I had an issue with a driver side one. Dealer took care of it for me.

Thanks for the info. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
167 Posts
Mine was sticking. Filed the lens sides down and used a Qtip with some silicone spray on the sides.
Still working every time since 2 days ago.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts