Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, on the way home about 4 blocks from my house a deer ran right in front of my car. Whilst the deer ran away (I presume it lived) my vehicle was not quite so fortunate. I managed to get home (only 4 blocks as I said) but coolant is leaking (I'm not savvy enough to know where/how, and all I know is it was hissing). Totally annhilated the front (IMO).

Anyone know if/what the deal is on the internals (as opposed to body work) when it comes to Hyundai warranty? I mean, obviously I don't expect Hyundai to cover this, but what I mean is that if the body shop/dealer (dealer does NOT do body work, BTW) replaces radiator/etc. are those parts no longer covered under the 5/10 warranty?

I obviously won't know anything until Monday (have no idea where to even have the vehicle towed to and the insurance adjuster won't be visiting until Monday at the earliest).

2017 SFS 2.0 T Ultimate.

1) AEB didn't engage (didn't even hear a beep) although granted the deer came "out of nowhere". Also I was traveling maybe 40 mph.
2) airbags did not deploy (granted, I wasn't suddenly stopped by the impact, so not expecting airbag deployment)
3) I'm fine, just vehicle damage and I'm more annoyed than anything
4) Deer ran off, it wasn't like splattered all over ( no blood anywhere, just hair stuck in my license plate/cable that's dangling holding on the remains of the front fender).

·
Registered
822 Posts
Usually if you go with a repair shop "recommended" by your insurance company there is a lifetime warranty on the repairs they do. Just make sure that they use genuine Hyundai parts during the repair. Even so, Hyundai will probably not honor warranty work on replaced / repaired items. They will tell you to go back to the shop that did the repairs.

Don't feel bad, my wife hit a deer with our Lexus GX doing about 60. Well over $15K in damage. The air bags didn't deploy in her accident either, the deer cleared the bumper where the sensors are. Destroyed everything above that, was not driveable. I think if the air bags had deployed it probably would have been considered totaled.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info. Will make sure to check into the warranty re: parts (again I'm not sure what "internals" are broken/damaged as my mechanical expertise consists of changing the air filter and windshield wipers/fluid. LOL).
Just guessing that the hissing noise and coolant leak is radiator vs. a hose (hoses are behind radiator I think, not sure. have not opened hood in case I can't get it closed again).

Either way, vehicle will need to be towed to wherever.
Small amount of coolant leak, as far as I can tell. Meaning it didn't totally drain gallons all over the floor in the garage. Guessing maybe 1 cup.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Oh wow. Everyone in my family has struck a deer. It happens. Glad you are ok. If the AEB had activated perhaps that would have helped. I don't know how quickly those things react.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
2017....More than likely the insurance carrier will go with either used or non Hyundai parts if they are available. I have seen some go that route of vehicles that were less than a year old. You can push for Hyundai parts, but they may ask you to pay any difference.

On warranty,.....Any aftermarket parts would not be covered by Hyundai. Any future repairs due to the collision would not be covered by Hyundai. Look the vehicle over closely once repaired. As MB said...If you use the recommended repair shop they often carry a lifetime warranty.

Air bags would not deploy because as you so noted...Deceleration rate not fast enough due to a "soft" impact. AEB....Probably insufficient time to respond given that it was moving cross traffic, although since they work via radar,,,,I am not sure that a deer would supply the proper echo return to activate the system even if it was in front of you. Does anyone have any experiences where it DID activate for a soft target like that? Curious to know.

Thus far I have been close enough a time or two to see if I had any fur stuck to the front of the vehicle, but always managed to brake enough to avoid.....I am sure that will change at some point in time..

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Good to know/check on all accounts.
I did re-read (sorta) the Hyundai Warranty and (again not complaining, just stating) anything not factory installed isn't covered. Same with my extended warranty I purchased.

So hopefully it's nothing major and it's simply a hose although not sure what about the radar system, etc. We'll find that out this week.

It was a young/small deer, barely above the hood (I only knew it was a deer because I saw it's head above the hood over to the right by the passenger headlight). Car coming the other direction at almost the same time, so the headlights kinda prevented me from seeing anything on the left-lane (or that side of the road). I think the deer "spun around" after I whacked it but there was no blood and I didn't see the deer on the side of the road or anything. I'm sure it was injured though, but it didn't hang around.

Could've been worse I'm sure. Could've been a moose. ha!

We don't normally see deer where this one was. At least in the 20+ years I've only ever seen 3 of them on the other end of the road (there's an open field at the other end of the road like 2 miles south). And wild turkeys that like to block the road in the morning/afternoon.

Adjuster comes this afternoon to take a gander.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Oh, it's going to be fairly pricey I am sure. Those fascias usually are not cheap. I am not familiar with where Hyundai has their radar array(s) set up but looking at that front bumper fascia with damage over to the center area...Would not be surprised if there is at least minor damage to the array(s) or their brackets. Those front fascias seem to damage fairly easily. My wife boogered up the right side of her 2017 front fascia when she tried to go through some very deep heavy wet snow that had been plowed onto the street. She really went where she should not have gone trying to get around a stuck vehicle Probably some ice in there as well. I made some minor repairs to the underside of the fascia and right front wheel house liner, Not worried about the dents in the lower area of the fascia. It will probably see worse before she is through with it. By contrast I have stupidly blown through some fairly deep plowed snow with my 2015 with no damage.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So (not that it matters much) the initial inspection (they'll obviously know more once they pop the hood and what not has the repairs estimated around $3,650. Not counting towing/rental expenses (that is including my $500 deductible). Stupid deer.

The only "mechanical" (so far) was the:
radiator
intercooler
Condenser (under AC/Heater)

The rest were front bumper/grille, fender, fog lamps, etc.
I was surprised they only had the bumper assembly at $408 for the cost. I thought it would've been way more than that.

The inspector did say there would be more adjustments as he could only see "so far" into the area by moving the grille a little (vs. opening the hood). He mentioned they'll have to recalibrate the front radar and camera, and re-align the hood (it's a little out of place on the front right.

I was honestly expecting it to be closer to like $8,000

Heck, the lady that backed into the right side of the vehicle (scuffed the paint, slight dent and the plastic trim) work last year was like $3,500 for everything. But maybe paint work and whatnot is more expensive (although I remember one of the plastic parts underneath the doors was rather pricey).

Hopefully later today I get the call from the collision shop to pick up the vehicle and get me my rental.

My preferred body work place doesn't do mechanical (they sub it out), while great, is booked solid until 2/17. Although insurance has coverage for rental for 30 days.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts