Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Hyundai Sonata GLS
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I recently had my check engine light come on a few days ago and just went and read it and found the following code:

P0014: Exhaust (B) Camshaft Position Timing---- Over-Advanced (Bank 1)

Does anyone know what this code means and what kind of repairs would address the problem that is causing this code? I've also attached pictures of the freeze data (data collected by the car when the light came on) in case that helps in terms of diagnosing the problem or figuring out what needs to be done repair-wise?

Thanks in advance for your help, as I am fairly new to DIY car work and appreciate all of the advice I get on here!

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
Exhaust cam-shaft positioning sensor is all I find...I know nothing about the ABS readings.

·
Registered
Drives : Nissan NV200 Flies : Rans S6ES
16,111 Posts
Does anyone know what this code means and what kind of repairs would address the problem that is causing this code?
The code means the engine ECU is unable to control the exhaust camshaft variable valve timing. You probably need to replace the exhaust cam oil control valve (OCV).

If I helped you fix it, why not...

Your support is greatly appreciated

·
Registered
2012 Hyundai Sonata GLS
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The code means the engine ECU is unable to control the exhaust camshaft variable valve timing. You probably need to replace the exhaust cam oil control valve (OCV).

Thanks! I'm going to try just changing the oil first and see if that does anything given that I'm due (around 2.5k miles since my last change) and my oil does appear to be quite dirty. The car is still running perfectly and hasn't stalled, had trouble starting, or making any strange noises. Do you think the OCV could still be a culprit in that case? Or would the Camshaft position sensor be a better place to start?

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
If it was the sensor I would think you should be getting P0340 code. If it's not the valve it could be a chain issue. Did you erase the code and see if it came back?

·
Registered
2012 Hyundai Sonata GLS
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If it was the sensor I would think you should be getting P0340 code. If it's not the valve it could be a chain issue. Did you erase the code and see if it came back?
Gotcha thanks! I just changed the oil and erased the code, and so far it has not come back on. However, I've only driven about 20 miles on it. Hopefully, that was all it was but if it comes back on I'll have to look into something else. I've seen a lot of people mentioning bad exhaust solenoids causing this code to come on, so I might test the solenoid too if the code pops back up.

·
Registered
Drives : Nissan NV200 Flies : Rans S6ES
16,111 Posts
erased the code, and so far it has not come back on. However, I've only driven about 20 miles on it.
FYI, I think it takes 2 or 3 drive cycles before that code will switch the check engine light back on.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts