Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw it posted a while ago when the 2020 came out, and there were convincing arguements about trunk release and adaptive cruise control, but now that the DN8 has some months beneath its belt, has anyone swapped out the Drunken H logo on front and/or back of a 2020 Sonata? Details if you have, including where you got new emblems and tips on removal. I've done a lot of searching, and seems there's not a ton available for 2020, just the older models.

Love this forum - it's been 12 years since I've had a car I was excited enough to join a forum over. First Korean car, pretty excited about my SEL delivered tomorrow.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Rear badges can be removed. Emblem cannot. It hides the button. But you can get touch up paint for your paint code and just paint it.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That does look really nice! Great call on the touch up paint and matching it, but I was looking to put a custom emblem on. When you say it hides the button though, I assumed the button was in the metal part, and the emblem goes around it - if I removed the emblem and put a new one that doesn't cover the button, would it not work? Or is the button dependent (or connected) to the emblem somehow?

How about the front badge? I have a SEL with all the packages added, and told that the front emblem hides the sensor for adaptive cruise control. Any validation there?

·
Registered
56 Posts
I didn’t look into the rear emblem too much. However, if you wish to remove the front, my best advice would be to get vinyl or specialty tape. This way you don’t mess with the sensor or modify the grill. When it comes time to sell you simply peel off the tape and it’s like new..... preserved even.

·
Registered
56 Posts

Went and did for funsies. Can easily take a credit card to puncture the outline via the gap once the sheet is on there.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ah, covered, I just pieced it together with your previous comment. So does that vinyl interfere with adaptive cruise control?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Whoops, I typed that a while ago and then didn't hit send. I appreciate you testing that out, I might do that with mine, looks pretty dang good. Thanks mate!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I pulled the sonata letting off using a hair dryer, fishing line, and good off. Worked really easy. Thried to do the drunkin' H on the back and it either has 4 bolts or pins. Couldn't get the lines past any point where the H met the outer circle. Pulled the trunk liner - don't see an easy way to get to the back side to check if it's bolts.

·
Registered
2020 Sonata Limited (Stormy Sea)
380 Posts
I pulled the sonata letting off using a hair dryer, fishing line, and good off. Worked really easy. Thried to do the drunkin' H on the back and it either has 4 bolts or pins. Couldn't get the lines past any point where the H met the outer circle. Pulled the trunk liner - don't see an easy way to get to the back side to check if it's bolts.
Be aware the trunk release button is under the badge.
I think you have to remove the entire panel.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yeah, I'm hoping to do a new badge that still leaves an open spot to push for trunk release. Thank you for making sure though!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Guess that answers the question of putting a new logo over the front one... it would hose our adaptive cruise control following distance according to the manual.

·
Registered
2020 Sonata Limited (Stormy Sea)
380 Posts
Guess that answers the question of putting a new logo over the front one... it would hose our adaptive cruise control following distance according to the manual.
I know some have tinted the front radar emblem, but anything solid will likely affect the system. You could always try a stencil design and thin layers of plastidip. If it messes with the radar, you can always peel it off.

edit: I re-read the posts above and Apple Core has covered his with vinyl with no ill effects. You could probably get your new badge design vinyl printed.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I don't know that Apple Core ever verified that the radar still works through that though. AC, any feedback on that?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I saw it posted a while ago when the 2020 came out, and there were convincing arguements about trunk release and adaptive cruise control, but now that the DN8 has some months beneath its belt, has anyone swapped out the Drunken H logo on front and/or back of a 2020 Sonata? Details if you have, including where you got new emblems and tips on removal. I've done a lot of searching, and seems there's not a ton available for 2020, just the older models.

Love this forum - it's been 12 years since I've had a car I was excited enough to join a forum over. First Korean car, pretty excited about my SEL delivered tomorrow.
removing the badge on the rear is definitely possible, as I have done it myself. Unfortunately it is screwed on so it’s quite involving to remove. But I’ve removed the whole thing and vinyl wrapped the button. Unfortunately, it’s not one smooth painted piece,so It doesn’t look as good. I have lots of picture.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts