Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can't believe this has happened. The motor on the i40 with only 90,000kms has died. Not a sound, not a whimper, nary a warning sign just a lot of smoke from under the bonnet. A seized bearing , I was told ,had caused this. The car had served me well since new but now I'll be lucky to get a AU$1000 as a wreck. Impeccable outside and in, looks new but no heart, no motor. It pains me to move on but at $10,000 to put a new engine in there is little return in it for me.

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
I can't believe this has happened. The motor on the i40 with only 90,000kms has died. Not a sound, not a whimper, nary a warning sign just a lot of smoke from under the bonnet. A seized bearing , I was told ,had caused this. The car had served me well since new but now I'll be lucky to get a AU$1000 as a wreck. Impeccable outside and in, looks new but no heart, no motor. It pains me to move on but at $10,000 to put a new engine in there is little return in it for me.
Could be worth auctioning , could be worth a salvage motor. If you were in Brissy I could not stuff that grand in the hand quick enough. Why 10 grand? Petrol or Diesel?

Hoping you say petrol and what year? 2013? Not something you could try consumer affairs with if it's been logbook dealer serviced.

What spec was it? 2011/12 Tourer Premium CRDi , 130K on the clock my end

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Could be worth auctioning , could be worth a salvage motor. If you were in Brissy I could not stuff that grand in the hand quick enough. Why 10 grand? Petrol or Diesel?

Hoping you say petrol and what year? 2013? Not something you could try consumer affairs with if it's been logbook dealer serviced.

What spec was it? 2011/12 Tourer Premium CRDi , 130K on the clock my end
Thanks. Salvage motor plus install not much change out of new. i40 Premium Sedan late 2012 VF2 Petrol 2.0 litre. 90K. Log booked from day 1. This allows me a discount on repairs to $7,500. Not happy. Starting to look elsewhere for new car.

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
I know if it was me and I was the original new owner with logbook servicing at 90k I would be writing letters and also consumer affairs just in case. It's fairly well known now that Theta 2 engines have been known to do this. The US seems have reasonable success at class actions. At 90k that engine should be as new still really. Sorry to hear. I love my tourer. But all my Hyundais have been diesels. I don't think I'd trust a GDI Petrol variant in any of there cars at the moment.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Gerard2,
fascinating viewing and almost another language for my non motor mind. I've seen as a follow up that no such class action was taken in the Asia Pacific Region.
Furthermore, the i40 motor is not listed in the Hyundai recalls for that region. I've checked both online and with Hyundai.
Bottom line is the i40motor a Theta motor , I guess.
I 've rung a salvage operator who will either offer me $2,500 or drop a reco motor in for $7,500. I still end up with an 9 yo car and questionable motor.
I appreciate your follow up.

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Thanks Gerard2,
fascinating viewing and almost another language for my non motor mind. I've seen as a follow up that no such class action was taken in the Asia Pacific Region.
Furthermore, the i40 motor is not listed in the Hyundai recalls for that region. I've checked both online and with Hyundai.
Bottom line is the i40motor a Theta motor , I guess.
I 've rung a salvage operator who will either offer me $2,500 or drop a reco motor in for $7,500. I still end up with an 9 yo car and questionable motor.
I appreciate your follow up.
That is the key problem , it's a known problem. Yours will be Theta II they are GDI but I've seen this before with Mitsubishi a known issue and fix in the USA does not necessarily get recognised or admitted over here. Ironically that was magna and the vehicle in the states was manufactured and assembled here with the same components.

I think of our low volumes = lower incidents = not warranted but regardless personally I think it's wrong that you can have a catastrophic engine failure , no warning and it's been serviced in accordance with their schedule by their technicians.

It's not unusual to see Theta II motors dead or GDI for that matter. i45 seems to be reasonably common now, also seen Veloster GDI and ix35 Theta II GDI

Chances are wrecker will be dropping their motor in and making a decent profit plus they'll have a log booked car low ks, buyer willbe unaware. That's my cynical prediction. There is a huge export market for powertrains and mechanicals. Most of the good stuff gets shipped, pushes motor prices through the ceiling. Unfortunately COVID has also pushed auction prices up for wrecks as well.

I have in the past managed to get the odd bargain for donor parts but the leftover mess can be a headache.

sorry , I feel for you, if you had the diesel you can expect a lot of Ks from those. The i40 has been the most comfortable and best long distance vehicle I've ever had. at 6 foot and long legs I get cramped up and fatigued but in my Tourer bar toilet stops I could do SYD-BNE non stop and no refuel.

Hard to know what I'd buy in petrol but GDI engines have their issues.

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
There's a youtube out on there latest GDI 2.5 Smartstream which I found incredible for what wa found. Check out the carbon and seized rings on the pistons.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
There's a youtube out on there latest GDI 2.5 Smartstream which I found incredible for what wa found. Check out the carbon and seized rings on the pistons.

My 2002 AU Ford however is keeping me going. 250,000kms and still going strong!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts