Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone.

I just did my first service on my 2016 Sonata 2.0T Limited. Got a Fumoto valve installed and change oil to 5w30 Pennzoil Plus Ultra. So far so good.

Looking forward to future services, especially brakes, I was curious if anyone has dealt with the Electronic Parking Brake. Does that cause any issues in servicing the brakes? Are changing rotors or pads more difficult?

Any thoughts or documentation would be really helpful. Not much on Youtube as sounds like this is new on this model.

·
Registered
Drives : Nissan NV200 Flies : Rans S6ES
14,720 Posts
I've no personal experience with the Hyundai EPB system but I don't think there is anything different about servicing EPB brakes on a Hyundai.

AFAIK, the Hyundai EPB system just replaces the normal hand brake lever with an electric actuator so there's still brake cables and there isn't anything different down at the wheels where you'd be working. Some other systems have an electric actuator bolted onto the brake caliper at each rear wheel and on that type of system you usually need to set the actuators to the service position (using a vehicle specific diagnostic scan tool) if your replacing brake pads or discs/rotors.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Hi everyone.

I just did my first service on my 2016 Sonata 2.0T Limited. Got a Fumoto valve installed and change oil to 5w30 Pennzoil Plus Ultra. So far so good.

Looking forward to future services, especially brakes, I was curious if anyone has dealt with the Electronic Parking Brake. Does that cause any issues in servicing the brakes? Are changing rotors or pads more difficult?

Any thoughts or documentation would be really helpful. Not much on Youtube as sounds like this is new on this model.
My 2016 2.0T Ultimate ( Canadian top of the line) did have a recall on the EPB system, it was all fixed with a ECU Update done for free by the dealer when doing an oil change.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Hello. My sonata is also equipped with the EPB, I have changed the rear rotors and pads myself.https://www.youtube.com/shared?ci=eCDi2Ussnpw here's a link for a 2013 Kia Optima it's the same thing as our cars for the rear brakes. I have used this method and I have no issues with the EPB.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hello. My sonata is also equipped with the EPB, I have changed the rear rotors and pads myself.https://www.youtube.com/shared?ci=eCDi2Ussnpw here's a link for a 2013 Kia Optima it's the same thing as our cars for the rear brakes. I have used this method and I have no issues with the EPB.
Been reading around and lots of discussion on the rear rotor calipers require part of the control arm or suspension removed to access the caliper bolt. Is that true on the 2015+ model as well? Any advice you have on changing your rear rotors?

Mine will be due to "brake maintenance" which I'll just grease the various parts and scrub off any rust. Thanks.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts