Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wonderful dealership decided to used water downed washer fluid in my last service. Water does not work well when temperature is in the 20's. Completely froze up my system. I had to find a warm place to thaw out my washer fluid and then use it all up so I could flush the system with new fluid. They are going to get an earful next time I'm in for service. I just hope they did not damage my pump. You have to love good customer service.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Are you sure it was watered down or just 'summer' washer fluid? I know that stuff will freeze up at those temperatures. I still had w/e fluid was in there from when I bought the car in October. Turns out it wasn't below zero fluid so last week when it was -20 out it was frozen. So much fun.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Why would a dealer put washer in your car?!?!?!?
Because like most any other place that does oil change, they advertise "top off all fluids"

Hyundai inspect sheet has place for washer fluid I think,,, it was ok, or mark for added fluid..

·
22,793 Posts
Because like most any other place that does oil change, they advertise "top off all fluids"

Hyundai inspect sheet has a place for washer fluid I think,,, it was ok, or mark for added fluid..
The sheet I receive at my dealer does have it, and yes they do. My dealer, that is. The tech came out and told me that he didn't top off the washer fluid since they used something besides Rain-X. But he would if I wanted him to. I told him, "Nah, don't bother with it. I have a new jug in the garage. No big deal to me. It was enough that he had not spilled a drop of oil anywhere on my last change, the dip stick was dead nuts on the mark, my oil filler cap was aligned vertically the way I like it when put it back on and he had checked my tire pressures."

This, and the camaraderie I feel when I go in, is why I usually drive up to the service bay with a dozen donuts for the 6-7 service guys and one magnificent lot porter I've known for 4-5 years. Really a great bunch of guys! Makes me want to grab my wrenches and venture off towards a new career! Just talking about them, I think I'll take 2 dozen with me on the next visit! I love those guys! They make me feel welcomed and belong in their social circle! I wish the rest of you could experience this!

Didn't mean to get so long-winded or off topic, but the above treatment by the dealer means a lot to an owner. THIS owner!~!!
This is why I live in Phoenix, no snow or natural disasters.
Not yet, anyway... :) But, in all seriousness, I sincerely hope you never do. I mean that...I wouldn't wish that on anyone.

·
Registered
458 Posts
The sheet I receive at my dealer does have it, and yes they do. My dealer, that is. The tech came out and told me that he didn't top off the washer fluid since they used something besides Rain-X. But he would if I wanted him to. I told him, "Nah, don't bother with it. I have a new jug in the garage. No big deal to me. It was enough that he had not spilled a drop of oil anywhere on my last change, the dip stick was dead nuts on the mark, my oil filler cap was aligned vertically the way I like it when put it back on and he had checked my tire pressures."

This, and the camaraderie I feel when I go in, is why I usually drive up to the service bay with a dozen donuts for the 6-7 service guys and one magnificent lot porter I've known for 4-5 years. Really a great bunch of guys! Makes me want to grab my wrenches and venture off towards a new career! Just talking about them, I think I'll take 2 dozen with me on the next visit! I love those guys! They make me feel welcomed and belong in their social circle! I wish the rest of you could experience this!

Didn't mean to get so long-winded or off topic, but the above treatment by the dealer means a lot to an owner. THIS owner!~!!
Not yet, anyway... :) But, in all seriousness, I sincerely hope you never do. I mean that...I wouldn't wish that on anyone.
you just described my dealerships service dept. perfectly, too bad more places aren't like these. 2 other dealerships around me and if the car broke down in front of them, I would pay the extra to have the car towed to my dealership.

·
Registered
418 Posts

Great customer service, Rich. Too many times we as consumers focus on what we will receive at the dealership--free coffee, free donuts, free omelets, free internet... You turned it around to show appreciation toward the people who treat Ellie so kindly.

BTW, never thought about the "proper" alignment of the oil filter cap.:D

·
22,793 Posts
BTW, never thought about the "proper" alignment of the oil filter cap.:D
Clearly, Sparkland, you're not a person that suffers from OCD. :laughing: I don't remember the process, but I think I was potty-trained at gun point! :wink2:

·
Registered
433 Posts
Nice mention about the cap being "proper". I thought I might be crazy because I always make sure the cap it right every time I change my oil or check it. Nice to know others notice details like that :)

To the OP, be happy it was only the washer fluid, could have been the antifreeze like my Firebird I got from FL after sitting on a lot in NY all winter. That was a disaster! Not to mention I never noticed the rear window had NO rear defroster lines or vents to help clear the fog/snow until after I owned it for about a week (stupid for NY, but that rear window was pretty cool!)...I loved that car though!

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
the dip stick was dead nuts on the mark, my oil filler cap was aligned vertically the way I like it when put it back on and he had checked my tire pressures."
You must have forgotten to have them make sure your valve stems was all aligned when you got ready to drive away...

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Regarding the OP's issue..... I had this happen on one of my cars several years ago. I was able to purchase a windshield ant-freeze concentrate that was intended to be diluted. I added some straight to the summer fluid, and was able to run the pump a bit to clear out the summer stuff.

Check out a local auto parts store.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts