Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2017 SFS 2.0 T Ultimate
850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
LOL.

Now, I'll admit I've had good dealings with the dealership (Lia Hyundai in Albany, NY).

Although the last time (yesterday) they've really gotten into the "upsell" in the service dept.

OK, scheduled an oil change, tire rotation and my "free" multipoint inspection (the coolant level is well below the "fill me" mark but at the very bottom of the last line in the tank). It's been that way for at least 6 months.

Anyhoo:

Vehicle has about 18k miles. The dealership wanted $220 for the 15k mile "service" thingy which, at the time just basically was oil change, tire rotation, and checking the various bits (like the OM says). I went to my "trusted" mechanic place and had them do the same thing, with synthetic oil for $110. (dealership service was with standard oil).

So the service rep is like, oh did you have work done elsewhere (obviously seeing the 6k mile gap in records). Yep. Well now their 15k mile thingy is $285 and tried to get sold on the Electronic Fuel Injection cleaning thingy for $170.

No, thanks, I'll pass.

I declined the $64 cabin filter (I replaced it myself last August, and will again this August for like $9 or whatever the filter was).

I declined the $47 air filter (will replace it myself when the $10 one arrives tomorrow).

They suggested a "true" AWD 4 wheel alignment (how this is diff. from a regular one when the tires are rotated, I'm not sure), for $130.00. I politely declined that.

Oh, and a "rear caliper service" for $101, because I don't drive many miles so there's dust and stuff. I politely decline that as well.

Wow an "extra" $512 for a $60 oil change/tire rotation (oh and they apparently don't normally stock synthetic oil, which is odd/strange).

I thinks from now on I will go to my regular mechanic and have stuff done there, unless it's warranty work.

(I'm not a car person so changing the oil is more time/effort than I wish to spend doing myself). Wiper blades and a filter I can handle. LOL!

Give me a PC/network/server instead.

:)

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
My last trip they wanted to do an oil additive. I asked what additive was needed with full syn oil......lol

·
Registered
157 Posts
My services are free for the first 24K miles so my 24K service will be at 23999. After that, I will keep a service log and do it myself according to the maintenance schedule. ****, if I can do the maintenance on a Harley Street Glide this will be a breeze. I keep receipts and create checklists. With that, if they try to deny warranty I can take appropriate legal action and the law is on my side when it comes to that. Not that I am expecting an issue...it's just....with 100K warranty they are probably going to try and find any excuse to not warranty something when the vehicle is over 3 years old.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have never taken my new cars back to the dealer...If you want something done right, I would rather do it myself...

I value my time @$55 per hour. To drive to the dealer and wait on them to change the oil and rotate my tires for 2 hours , I lose money...

Reactions: mjonis

·
Registered
122 Posts
just be a little savy and you'll be fine. My dealer wanted to give me their Full HVAC service on my first oil change, so....for the most part you know what your vehicle needs. When in doubt check the Manual

·
Registered
441 Posts
Yeah...I see up selling (staffs are incented to sell). But that really hasn't been a problem. I'd rather have them do my service work in the event there's any questioned warranty issues. My time is valuable enough to sent it detailing the SUV rather than change the oil.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I think the important thing is to have a good oil change record, and any recalls needed to be done. As long as they see that the car was regularly brought in, then they have a hard case about voiding the warranty. If you don't bring the car back for 5 years and then roll it in and say your transmission is shot, then they might take issue.

·
Registered
2007 Honda CRV
4,597 Posts
I have had my recall done at the Lia Hyundai dealer in Albany, NY (off Central Ave).
When they replaced my 2001 Elantra sub-frame and lower control arms, they didn't try to up sell anything

Yeah, dealers are usually more expensive
Guess they have to make money somehow?
Seems like almost every place I have been to .. is expensive

·
Registered
122 Posts
There's a reason they give you the first couple oil changes for free. I have 7 free ones. I'm guessing it's not because they want to see my gorgeous smile returning all the time

·
Registered
66 Posts
Bought my 2 Hyundai vehicles from different dealerships. I continue to go to the dealerships because of the free lifetime oil changes (not truly lifetime, but about 20 free). One dealership does not upsell. The other one upsells HARD. That one suggested my Elantra with 10,000 km needed 4 rotors resurfaced (for crazy high prices!). If I didn't do it, I wouldn't have much brake left in a few months. I said no (as I didn't believe it), so fast forward to 5 months later and I get a second opinion, and they didn't need to be done and my brakes were completely fine at 12,000 km.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Just ignore the upsell! On my wife's '16 Tuscon they wanted to clean the injectors, radiator flush and alignment all for around $600 out the door. I had it done elsewhere for significantly less. The work needed to be done but as I told my dealer, it's cheaper elsewhere. What's interesting though is that my dealer is cheaper for oil changes. Well at least the coffee is free while I wait on my vehicles getting their oil changed.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Having the calipers cleaned and lubricated every other year isn't a bad idea as I see you live in a snowy area as well. Beyond that.....Run Techron at every oil change to help keep the injectors clean. I don't buy the cabin / air filters from our Hyundai store even though I work there. OEM prices are generally more than I would pay for a quality filter elsewhere. The additives.....I use some of them myself. BG as an example makes some very good products and offers warranties with some that might be attractive to some owners.

In general....I also do not like the upselling of services, but some do have value. Which ones vary by manufacturer and model. It is almost a necessity for Dealers to upsell to keep the service departments profitable. They are not the huge cash cows that many people think they are. Back when I started in 1980 yes, they were highly profitable. Today....Many months they can be lucky to squeak by with a marginal profit. Personnel, training, and equipment costs are huge. A shortage of GOOD Technicians means that you pay dearly to hire and keep them. Not making excuses. Just painting the picture. And yes, there are some Service Managers who will try to outright take advantage of people.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Good idea with having the calipers lubricated, perhaps every alternate year in salt areas. Last weekend, I had to take a chisel to remove the rear pads that were stuck to the slider pins, thanks to 7 years of winter salt and never being cleaned and lubed.

Was noticing my braking distance really increase the past 2 months and my hunch is the rear pads were not moving and stuck to the clips. Had to hammer the pads out, and put on a new ceramic set. Cost just $20 but this could have become a case of the rear rotors needing replacing too, which is a PITA with the one hidden caliper bolt. Braking distance is back to what it should be.

·
Registered
2017 SFS 2.0 T Ultimate
850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks, I'll see if my local mechanic shop can do the caliper stuff cheaper.

·
Registered
2017 Sonata Sport 2.0T
2,037 Posts
Dealers have a high overhead and unfortunately some of them try to upsell using scare tactics or misinformation. Ive seen the service booklets with good-better-best packages in them all professionally done with manufacturers logo on the page so it all looks like it is required. Costs from $199-299-399 when all that was required per factory service manual was a $60-70 service oil/filter and check over.

Just check your service manual and do what is checked. In general on the Sonata it is oil/filter every 3500-7000 depending on if you are normal (99% of use) or severe use. Air and cabin air filter every other change and a overall check (my dealer calls it a 64 pt service check= free) for the turbo spark plugs at 45,000, transmission fluid change at 60,000 and that is about it.

There are some other preventive maintenance item that have proved to be helpful in maintain a long running vehicle like brake fluid change, cooling system flush etc but most of that is not mandatory to maintain warranty. On or GDI engines a intake cleaner is a good idea to keep the intake valves and turbo clean, BG has a good system usually runs about $ 150 to do and as long as you use top tier fuel ther really is no need for fuel additive, but Ill use a bottle of BG44k or techron every 10-15000 miles to be safe. Instead of a professional intake cleaning a lot of people are using CRC GDI Intake cleaner or similar. Ive used it at 15000 and my 25000 mile service , costs $10 and take a total of 15 min to do and an hour to soak. then take it out for a drive to blow out the carbon. (change oil after doing this) This should keep the classic GDI intake carbon problem from further problems with idle, performance and mileage.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts