Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Hyundai Elantra SEL w/ Conv. Pkg.
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Title pretty much sums it up. Wanted to get an estimate to get the right-side BSD sensor fixed after a small dent in the plastic of my bumper over the holiday weekend earlier this month. Opened a claim with insurance for the dent but my FIL got the dent out but the BSD sensor now gives me a warning each time I start the car. Goes off and the car works fine after that, plus I had that and the rear collision alert disabled.

The dealer is claiming both sensors need replacing and the bumper despite it being cosmetically/functionally fine. Does anyone have any experience with this? Do both sensors actually need replacing? The guy said the smallest offset in the bumper plastic will cause “… the telemetry lasers of both sensors to be out of whack” but I’ve seen people on forums and online replace just one before.

Any advice or comments are appreciated. I’ve got the money to fix it, but I guess I’m just wondering if that’s outrageous or on par with fixing something like that. Thanks in advance!

Quick Edit for context: I opened a claim for the dent but since my FIL got it out, I closed it. I figured out about the BSD sensor after closing the claim about the dent since he fixed it.

·
Registered
475 Posts
very odd.. the BSD sensors are attached to the frame, how deep/bad was this dent in the bumper ?.. as the distance from the bumper to the frame is maybe a good 6" to more.. trying to understand how the impact of bumper effected your sensor... hmmmmmm .... Have you tried to goto a dealer or another dealer to see if they will address the BSD ?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
very odd.. the BSD sensors are attached to the frame, how deep/bad was this dent in the bumper ?.. as the distance from the bumper to the frame is maybe a good 6" to more.. trying to understand how the impact of bumper effected your sensor... hmmmmmm .... Have you tried to goto a dealer or another dealer to see if they will address the BSD ?
It was a pretty good sized, dent. Probably 8in x 10in but only into the car about 4-5inches. In fact when my FIL brought it out, it wasn’t the sensor itself that was banged up/screwed up, it was just the wire that goes into it. Obviously just plugging it back in didn’t do the trick, given the need for re programming. But the dealership is making it seem like so much as a ding from a shopping cart can cause the bumper, both sensors, etc. to need replacing. Even though my dent was fixed, I just have a hard time squaring $4,300… lol

I haven’t gone anywhere else though. Everywhere I read makes it seem like only the dealer can fix and re program it. Should I get it looked at elsewhere?

·
Registered
56 Posts
It was a pretty good sized, dent. Probably 8in x 10in but only into the car about 4-5inches. In fact when my FIL brought it out, it wasn’t the sensor itself that was banged up/screwed up, it was just the wire that goes into it. Obviously just plugging it back in didn’t do the trick, given the need for re programming. But the dealership is making it seem like so much as a ding from a shopping cart can cause the bumper, both sensors, etc. to need replacing. Even though my dent was fixed, I just have a hard time squaring $4,300… lol

I haven’t gone anywhere else though. Everywhere I read makes it seem like only the dealer can fix and re program it. Should I get it looked at elsewhere?
It definitely sounds like only an authorized Hyundai dealer can repair. BTW - what is an "FIL" ??

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It definitely sounds like only an authorized Hyundai dealer can repair. BTW - what is an "FIL" ??
Sorry, “father in law”. He works at a body shop and got the dent out without issue. He himself said the sensor could run a couple thousand which made sense to me. But $4,300 for something I already had disabled is approaching “not worth fixing” territory in my book.

Of course the other half of my brain is saying “Get it fixed now so it doesn’t become $8,300 of work down the line”, but I guess I just wanted some outside opinions in regards to other people’s experience with this kind of stuff, if what they’re saying about the bumper/both sensors is true, whether this is a “don’t wait to get this fixed” sort of thing, etc.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Sorry, “father in law”. He works at a body shop and got the dent out without issue. He himself said the sensor could run a couple thousand which made sense to me. But $4,300 for something I already had disabled is approaching “not worth fixing” territory in my book.

Of course the other half of my brain is saying “Get it fixed now so it doesn’t become $8,300 of work down the line”, but I guess I just wanted some outside opinions in regards to other people’s experience with this kind of stuff, if what they’re saying about the bumper/both sensors is true, whether this is a “don’t wait to get this fixed” sort of thing, etc.
Do you plan on keeping the car long-term? Either way, if it's not an important feature for you, just disable it (leave it disconnected). Otherwise, it looks like you really don't have much options.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Do you plan on keeping the car long-term? Either way, if it's not an important feature for you, just disable it (leave it disconnected). Otherwise, it looks like you really don't have much options.
Yeah I keep cars until they’re paid off at the bare minimum. My car before this was an ‘08 Kia I had put about 117K miles on, I plan on putting just as many on this one.

·
Premium Member
2021 Phantom Black Sonata; 2009 Audi A6 Condor Grey
127 Posts
Sounds like the dealer is taking the easy way out by just replacing the bumper and sensors. Can you say easy money!! Sounds like recalibration is needed...find another dealer for a second opinion!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sounds like the dealer is taking the easy way out by just replacing the bumper and sensors. Can you say easy money!! Sounds like recalibration is needed...find another dealer for a second opinion!
Even if it’s more than a re-calibration, and the right side sensor IS dinged/damaged, would one sensor needing replacement cause both to need replacing? The guy from Service said “They have to be programmed together, at the exact same time; you can’t just replace one and re-program it with an existing one that works”. I’m not going to play hardball over something I’m not knowledgeable about, but that just sounded like they were trying to get me to pay for another sensor to line their pockets…

He also stressed “these go RIGHT ON the bumper so if it’s even chipped, it’ll be off by a millimeter and we need to replace the bumper” but per the schematics of the car and another comment above, the sensor itself is set on the frame and not the bumper. I don’t doubt that the wiring that goes from L -> R may go through the bumper, but he made it seem like if I flicked the bumper itself hard enough the sensor would be fried, requiring a replacement of the bumper, both sensors and the wiring. Alas, that’s why I’m here… but I’ll definitely be getting a second opinion.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts