Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i went in to the dealer for my second oil change. I noticed on the invoice that they changed the oil drain plug under warranty. I questioned this and was able to talk to the tech. He was very sympathetic to my concerns and explained that he assumed that the previous tech (at the same dealer) over-tightened the drain bolt significantly and caused the bolt threads to warp and he had a very hard time getting the bolt out. He said he inspected the threads (on the pan) and they were definitely not stripped out. He installed a new bolt, which went in fine, and tightened up with no problem. So far no leaks.

Does this sound legitimate? I guess i'm curious if the pan is made of steel. Is it possible for the bolt to have "warped" threads and the pan threads be fine?

My other question is regarding the oil filter. When i bought the car (new) i believe it came from the Alabama factory with a black oil filter on it. After my first oil change it still had a black filter on it. After my second oil change it had a blue filter on it. Do OEM filters from the dealer come in both black and blue or did the first tech likely just dump the oil without changing the filter?

Unfortunately there is only one Hyundai dealer in my city and I'd like to continue to get my car serviced there, but just wanted to get any opinions about my situation so i know how best to proceed.

Thanks!

·
Registered
285 Posts
Most pans are made of aluminum. Overtightening the drain plug can damage the plug and/or pan. As long as you have no leaks with the new plug, you're good. For peace of mind, get the incident documented on your invoice (if you haven't done so already) so you have a paper trail for the future.

From what I've seen online, the OEM filter for this car is blue.

A side note: Incidents like this are why I DIY most maintenance. No minimum wage lube tech will care about your car as much as you do.

·
Registered
4,261 Posts
Most cars with alloy sumps (oil pans) have a stainless steel thread insert very much like a heli-coil to prevent thread damage being done by lame brain so called mechanics or better still technicians.

·
Registered
433 Posts
I don't wanna know how tight the bolt was torqued to warp the threads on the bolt ... This is why I don't like to bring my car into the dealer for service .. absolutely pathetic

Sent from my Lenovo TB-X103F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2007 Honda CRV
4,582 Posts
2001 Elantra, took my car to a big name garage to change the oil
They over torqued the drain plug and the pain threads damaged
I use a lot of PTFE tape on the drain plug to stop any leaked and to be able to tighten the plug.
I change the oil and filter myself .. now.
Have not decided to use heli-coil to fix threads on pan.
Maybe next summer when weather isn't so cold

If you ever look at the drain plug then you should also see a crush washer
That washer is used as a way to seal the oil hole
Some are made from copper. Others use plastic or rubber.
So that when tightening the drain plug, one can see or feel it become tight enough to stop leaks.

If you are afraid the techs aren't changing the oil filter then use a marker and sign the old oil filter
Then you can check to make sure it has been changed.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
The Hyundai filters are blue. Last year my dealer did not change the oil filter during an oil change. I had a mark on it with a sharpie just to see. Mark yours and then you will know for sure.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
A side note: Incidents like this are why I DIY most maintenance. No minimum wage lube tech will care about your car as much as you do.
I couldn't agree more. The first oil change was free, so i was happy to let them do it, thinking that certainly the dealership would do a good job. I guess i thought wrong...

·
Registered
38 Posts
The Hyundai filters are blue. Last year my dealer did not change the oil filter during an oil change. I had a mark on it with a sharpie just to see. Mark yours and then you will know for sure.
I would have raised ****. If you paid for it and they didnt change it and charged you that is theft. I would have let them know unless I got free oil changes for life they would be reported.

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Some of the Hyundai engines are using steel oil pans now. My '14 EGT 2.0L is steel, the '06 was cast aluminum. I think the '15 Sonata 2.4L is steel also, but don't remember for sure.

·
Registered
4,261 Posts
The only reason they would go back to steel is cost saving. They went to alloy to increase engine rigidity so going to a pressed steel pan is a step backwards.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
I took my Elantra to the dealership for first oil change and they overfilled it. Until then I was going to just let them do all the oil changes. I had a lot of sloppy work/repairs done when others did them on my vehicles. Some of it was just due to rushing or lack of experience. I lost faith in my dealership and changed the oil myself since then.

In your case you have other options. You could go to an independent shop to have your oil changed. They may even allow you to bring your oil and oil filter. This would allow you to have some control of what goes in you car and the right shop may do better work.

Another thought is changing oil yourself. It may not be practical for you but it is very easy on this car. I can do it with car parked in 15 minutes. I installed an EZ Oil change valve. No more over torqued drain plug. I just have a valve I will open and close.

If you do go back to that dealership I would watch their work when possible and not trust it will done right. It is the nature of the beast. Their are a lot of factors out of your control when you go to a dealership. Focus on the ones that you do have control of.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Another thought is changing oil yourself. It may not be practical for you but it is very easy on this car. I can do it with car parked in 15 minutes. I installed an EZ Oil change valve. No more over torqued drain plug. I just have a valve I will open and close.
I agree... I did all of my own oil changes on my previous car. I just took it to the dealer since the first one was free and when it came time for the second one it was cold and wet out, and i had a coupon from the dealership for an oil change and tire rotation for 34.99 so i took it in. The second tech that i spoke with was very informative and i believe did an excellent job. I think i'll go back for a couple of additional oil changes to make sure things are OK with the oil pan and then resume doing them myself. I know who the first tech that messed things up is, so i'll be sure to avoid him at all cost.

It's really disappointing to have this kind of service at a dealership though.

·
Registered
3,807 Posts
Worked as an auto mechanic until I was drafted, if I didn't do my job right, would have been fired, if my boss told me to cheat, would quit. So when an oil filter is not changed, is it the kid, or was in instructed by the service manager not to change it?

Typically, this comes from the top, kid is just doing what he was told to do. Take this up with the general manager or the owner, ha, for all you know, its the guy at the top instructing his employees what to do to make a couple of extra bucks.

Only been with Kia, and Hyundai for three years, every filter I saw was blue. Daughter's dealer wanted 175 bucks for 15,000 mile service, another crooked dealer, don't even check the tire pressure and can't find an air cleaner filter cap that was not properly snapped down.

Magnet tells me the crankcase is steel, but does not tell me the gauge, visual would tell if its distorted or not, seen some in pretty bad shape when done "professionally". Also caught my Chevy dealer not replacing the oil filter but definitely charging for it. Going to the top did not good, just said goodbye and do not expect any positive recommendations from me.

Yeah, wife insisted I get this done, that didn't last very long, the way service departments are made today, locked up in a waiting room, bored stiff and don't have the slightest idea what they are doing. Also check that steel panel under your rocker panels, may find they are bend because they didn't put those lift arms in the right place. We didn't do this, you must have hit a curb or something. .

·
Registered
2021 Sonata SEL
493 Posts
I took my Elantra to the dealership for first oil change and they overfilled it. Until then I was going to just let them do all the oil changes. I had a lot of sloppy work/repairs done when others did them on my vehicles. Some of it was just due to rushing or lack of experience. I lost faith in my dealership and changed the oil myself since then.
I see you're in St Louis too. I bought my Sonata at St Charles Hyundai. They offered one free oil change of which I took advantage. They over filled it. I've been doing my own oil changes since.

I got a great deal on the car purchase though.
Who's your Hyundai dealer?
I've also used Auffenburg in O'Fallon Ill. and Mungenast in Florissant.

·
Registered
3,807 Posts
Can't do this if living in an apartment or a condo, won't even let you open the hood. Ha, wife suggested we do this, just replied that would be the death of me soon. Only thing you can do there is watch daytime TV and twiddle your thumbs.

Then besides huge property taxes have to pay a huge monthly maintenance fee. Where would I store all my woodworking, machining tools, automotive, and electronic equipment? Would be like living in prison.

Did get soft in around 1997, finally insulated my garage, if it was 10 below outside, would be 10 below inside of the garage. Sheet of drywall was only $2.50, insulation, not much more. Even well below zero, stays about 30*F. Just use a couple of 1,500 watt space heaters, warms it up to 50, nice temperature to work in.

Did this a couple of years ago in my sons home, keeps me active and in shape.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
I agree... I did all of my own oil changes on my previous car. I just took it to the dealer since the first one was free and when it came time for the second one it was cold and wet out, and i had a coupon from the dealership for an oil change and tire rotation for 34.99 so i took it in. The second tech that i spoke with was very informative and i believe did an excellent job. I think i'll go back for a couple of additional oil changes to make sure things are OK with the oil pan and then resume doing them myself. I know who the first tech that messed things up is, so i'll be sure to avoid him at all cost.

It's really disappointing to have this kind of service at a dealership though.
You get what you pay for. First oil change was free meaning they probably gave you the lowest paid oil changer or they needed to rush to get to the paying customer's oil changed. :eek:

The rub with my dealership is it is 25 minutes from my house. Took over an hour for them to change the oil. Waiting rooms are not for me. At smaller shops I liked to watch the work being done. My dealership is too big for that. It is about quantity, not necessarily quality. I was also disappointed.

I see you're in St Louis too. I bought my Sonata at St Charles Hyundai. They offered one free oil change of which I took advantage. They over filled it. I've been doing my own oil changes since.

I got a great deal on the car purchase though.
Who's your Hyundai dealer?
I've also used Auffenburg in O'Fallon Ill. and Mungenast in Florissant.
Suntrup. St Charles Hyundai and Dean Team both were $700 more for the car. They told me I could not get it anywhere for $15k. They were wrong.

I think the overfilled thing is due to using an oil gun. I bet they put the amount listed in the manual. I only need 4 quarts to get it to full mark.

·
Registered
3,807 Posts
Ha, six Hyundai dealers competing against each other for the lowest price, my nearest dealer after showing the quotes beat all of them, but at first was the highest.

Did not chase all over Wisconsin, could have hit Minnesota, Michigan, and Illinois as well, but with state sales tax, easier to buy in your home state. Just sat comfortably at my computer.

Still tees me off, regardless of rebates, discounts, vet, and dealer, still have to pay sales tax on the sticker price of the vehicle. Feel our leaders should be in jail.

For my Chevy, went directly to my dealers, face to face to get the best price, all all the options typed out, but in a 40 mile radius, was eight of them. Bit thinner with Hyundai.

Also had an extensive talk with the owner, sales manager, service manager, parts manager, and my own salesman all grouped together, regarding me doing my own maintenance, and no arguments about warranties, plus buying parts at internet prices if I needed them.

With the business manager, please have all the paper worked filled out, wife had to come in to sign them, and please, no talk about warranty options. Complied, was in and out of there in 15 minutes.

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
I guess I am lucky with my dealer. Rarely need the service dept. Alignments, the rare but occasional warranty work. I can walk right out to the car and ask questions, observe, look over the work. But I was raised in an award winning GM service department. #1 rule: don't get in the way. So I make sure I am not impeding progress and stay in a "safe zone" and the techs don't seem to mind. The lead shop guy has known me for years and if he sees me at the dealership (picking up parts or a free cup of coffee) and has an unusual or oddball issue in the shop he will invite me out for some "show and tell". Some of the service writers who don't know who I am, or my 30 year history with the dealership, may get their panties in a wad about me being there, but Jeff is quick to back them down and let them know I am there at his invitation. He runs the show in the shop, the service writers are for the most part tolerated. :)

1 - 20 of 38 Posts