Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the HID thread rick.kristin mentioned that a dealer did not want to look at a clunking noise on his neighbour's car because he replaced the OEM H7 Halogens with H7 HIDs (i.e. he "modified" the car). Anyone else had similar experiences or know of similar experiences? Does this mean that one is not allowed to add mud guards, or carpets in the car. How about tinting the windows? Replacing the OEM H7 bulbs with blue tinted H7 bulbs? Where is the line drawn? Is there some official print that we can take to a dealer if they want to use similar arguments?

·
Banned
630 Posts
not legal....a dealer can only deny warranty work on a car if the warrantied part was modified. So if you have a noise in your suspension and your car is stock besides tinted windows, they can't blame the windows on the noise. Now if you lowered your car, and brought it in for noise, they can blame it on the suspension mod, ONLY if that actually contributed to the problem or caused the problem.

·
Registered
4,471 Posts
Not that that guy should go back to that specific dealer but man, that dealer is really putting themselves out there for negative publicity considering it pretty easy to dis-associate mechanical from electrical in that case.

Its the Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act that protects us as the consumer. Its the burden of the dealer to prove that the HID caused the suspension clunk. But like I said above. If they are fighting you before you even admit the car do you really want those people working on your car?

When I bought mine (a whopping 6 days ago) the guy pleaded with me to practically to bring it in for ANY issue what so ever. He said "We want your service business". My buddies and father bought theirs there and they have had GREAT service so I guess I am lucky.

·
Registered
24 Posts
QUOTE (NT2SHBBY @ Jul 22 2010, 06:12 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=343832
not legal....a dealer can only deny warranty work on a car if the warrantied part was modified. So if you have a noise in your suspension and your car is stock besides tinted windows, they can't blame the windows on the noise. Now if you lowered your car, and brought it in for noise, they can blame it on the suspension mod, ONLY if that actually contributed to the problem or caused the problem.
omg, thank god! someone that understands! everything he said is true :D Don't let them push you around...

If you get lowering springs and your shocks go out, they won't do anything for you. If you tint your window and the engine seizes up, they will honor the warranty.

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
Yeah, I know, it's not fair, etc. But it's a highly subjective thing. And if the dealer doesn't want to cooperate with your clunking sound because of the HID mod, then what do you do next?

I imagine the next step is to call HMC consumer affairs and maybe they'll grant you the warranty work... or not. After that your only option is to sue for damages. Be prepared to PROVE your case, like have expert testimony, get a lawyer, etc. In other words... don't waste your time.

I suspect the clunking sound is a known issue, and that HMC doesn't want to pay the correct number of hours to repair, much like the timing chain tensioner problem with the big V6 motors. It's just one way to weasel out of the cost. So the result is the dealers look for excuses to get out of the repair under warranty.

·
Banned
630 Posts
QUOTE (jsinton @ Jul 22 2010, 12:11 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=343885
Yeah, I know, it's not fair, etc. But it's a highly subjective thing. And if the dealer doesn't want to cooperate with your clunking sound because of the HID mod, then what do you do next?

thats when you bring it up to the manager. If he doesn't want to hear your plight, you call HMC. If they don't care you call your local action news team and have them setup shop in front of the dealer....negative publicity does wonders....If all else fails, you need to contact a lawyer. Trust me, eventually it HAS to be rectified.

My approach is to usually threaten with all types of crazy ****..... :laughing:

EDIT: I have another idea for those who don't like to get into confrontations. Pay the bill with your credit card. When you get home immediately call up your cc company to dispute the transaction. Tell them that you got hosed on warranty work that the dealer tried to bill as non-warranty. They will probably tell you to wait for the charge bill to come in. Once you get it, dispute the charge in full.

At this point, burden of proof is on the dealer, not the customer. The ball is now in their court having to prove what they did for the price you paid.

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
QUOTE (NT2SHBBY @ Jul 22 2010, 01:18 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=343904
thats when you bring it up to the manager. If he doesn't want to hear your plight, you call HMC. If they don't care you call your local action news team and have them setup shop in front of the dealer....negative publicity does wonders....If all else fails, you need to contact a lawyer. Trust me, eventually it HAS to be rectified.

My approach is to usually threaten with all types of crazy ****..... :laughing:

EDIT: I have another idea for those who don't like to get into confrontations. Pay the bill with your credit card. When you get home immediately call up your cc company to dispute the transaction. Tell them that you got hosed on warranty work that the dealer tried to bill as non-warranty. They will probably tell you to wait for the charge bill to come in. Once you get it, dispute the charge in full.

At this point, burden of proof is on the dealer, not the customer. The ball is now in their court having to prove what they did for the price you paid.
Yeah, I know. It's just if you choose to rectify every injustice you run across in this world, you'll certainly make yourself nuts trying.

Me, personally I'm too old for that crapola anymore. My hair is already long gone. I choose the low stress option whenever I can. My cars are junk when I get them, and I do my own work, so I'm always content with the car, and content with the work.

I do like the credit card idea. Sounds rather foolproof. Of course, in this case it wouldn't work since the issue is getting them to do warranty work they refuse to do.

·
Banned
630 Posts
QUOTE (jsinton @ Jul 22 2010, 01:29 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=343908
Yeah, I know. It's just if you choose to rectify every injustice you run across in this world, you'll certainly make yourself nuts trying.

Me, personally I'm too old for that crapola anymore. My hair is already long gone. I choose the low stress option whenever I can. My cars are junk when I get them, and I do my own work, so I'm always content with the car, and content with the work.

I do like the credit card idea. Sounds rather foolproof. Of course, in this case it wouldn't work since the issue is getting them to do warranty work they refuse to do.
I hear you....I'm 32 yrs old, and feel that "fight" in me still going strong. Probably a bit too strong if you know what I mean lol....Being a NYer I am naturally defensive, or offensive depending upon situation. I am always ten steps ahead and I always feel everyone is out to screw me. It might be a bad mentality, that gets me nothing but aggravation. And its true that you should always pick your battles. But I enjoy battles at times, although lately less than more.

The credit card idea is foolproof as long as you keep up with your bills. If your credit is Tier 1 or close, they always side with the customer. If the dealer refuses to do the work, make them do it at "your cost", and pay with the credit card ;)

·
Registered
623 Posts
QUOTE (NT2SHBBY @ Jul 22 2010, 10:40 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=343910
I hear you....I'm 32 yrs old, and feel that "fight" in me still going strong. Probably a bit too strong if you know what I mean lol....Being a NYer I am naturally defensive, or offensive depending upon situation. I am always ten steps ahead and I always feel everyone is out to screw me. It might be a bad mentality, that gets me nothing but aggravation. And its true that you should always pick your battles. But I enjoy battles at times, although lately less than more.

The credit card idea is foolproof as long as you keep up with your bills. If your credit is Tier 1 or close, they always side with the customer. If the dealer refuses to do the work, make them do it at "your cost", and pay with the credit card ;)
My dealer (so far) loves my car. They even hand wash it instead of putting it through their auto wash. They always ask what I am doing next and they keep trying to get me to visit their parts department. I have yet to have any "issues" with my car yet though. Wonder how fast their tune will change when I have repairs...

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
I had a 2006 Sonata before this that I did a fair amount of work too. I never once had an issue with the dealer honoring warranty work on something that wasn't modified. As long as you're at a fairly reputable dealer, they would be pretty stupid to not honor warranty work on a part that is obviously not affected by any modifications.

If they try to say they can't honor the warranty work a brief mention of the Moss-Manguson Act and the fact the dealer has to prove your modifications affected the defective part should get them moving down the right path!

·
Registered
740 Posts
Here's a question for all you legal Beagles out there....

Suppose you buy an oem part from Korea, it comes in a Hyundai bag with part number, now you take said part to the dealer service department to MOD it for you.....

Now you need warranty work in the area of the mod, can he legally deny the work his service department did with oem parts???

·
Registered
486 Posts
.. Should read Safety related...
Your Korea OEM parts may not meet federal USA OEM spec and the dealer Should refuse to install your parts if this is the case. On the other hand it is your car and you may modify it any way you please, but with possible warranty and legal consequences. Just so that you are aware of all your options before making a game plan. Good Luck.

·
Registered
740 Posts
QUOTE (snapper41 @ Jul 25 2010, 03:42 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=344623
Your Korea OEM parts may not meet federal USA OEM spec and the dealer Should refuse to install your parts if this is the case. On the other hand it is your car and you may modify it any way you please, but with possible warranty and legal consequences. Just so that you are aware of all your options before making a game plan. Good Luck.
Reason I ask is yeah I am thinking about something but I know of two people who bought the parts and had their dealer install them. Dealers didn't have an issue installing those parts... The owners reasoning was the Dealer modded the car and voided the warranty (if the warranty is actually voided) and therefore should either fix the car or should have denied the installation.....

I was curious if anyone had ever heard of this happening and what the result was.....

Most dealers want your business and will try to please the customer, no doubt... just an inquiring mind...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi everyone,
Thank you for all the great information we can find on here, I've read a million things that will help in the care of my new car...

Like many of you here, I am really excited about adding parts to my car (a white GLS with nav), but am also cautious about keeping the great Hyundai warranty intact.

So, here's one of the body parts I am interested in, a rear diffuser a little like this one:
http://www.sharkracing.com/acecart/bin/sho...;cate=012101000

that I would like to use along with this dual exhaust pipe...
http://www.superichmotors.com/front/php/pr...display_group=1

Now, I am wondering if the dealership could deny the very important 10 year powertrain warranty if I was changing the exhaust to this and if a problem occurred on the engine in the future.

Ayces, your car looks amazing, and I know you're one who made the switch to a dual exhaust on a GLS, so if you read this, what do you think?

Thanks everyone for sharing the wealth of knowledge...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi everyone,
Thank you for all the great information we can find on here, I've read a million things that will help in the care of my new car...

Like many of you here, I am really excited about adding parts to my car (a white GLS with nav), but am also cautious about keeping the great Hyundai warranty intact.

So, here's one of the body parts I am interested in, a rear diffuser a little like this one:

Now, I am wondering if the dealership could deny the very important 10 year powertrain warranty if I was changing the exhaust to this and if a problem occurred on the engine in the future.

Ayces, your car looks amazing, and I know you're one who made the switch to a dual exhaust on a GLS, so if you read this, what do you think?

·
Registered
854 Posts
QUOTE (Frenchy turning Korean @ Nov 5 2010, 03:39 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=369278
Hi everyone,

I don't see how the diffuser would void any warranty it's not a mechanical part so it can't cause any mechanical problems.

The exhaust however depends, as long as it's bolt on, you could always bolt it off and bolt on your stock exhaust if you had any problems with your emission system.

My post is purely based on logic, as long as you don't get caught they can't deny you! Just like my iphone, it's jailbroken but if I ever needed warranty work all I have to do is restore it to default, what they don't know won't hurt em! Of course if a dealer doing your warranty work was to happen to come across this thread it would be fraud! lol no chance of that happening though because they don't have the brains to go that in depth!!

·
Registered
349 Posts
QUOTE (eyecue @ Nov 5 2010, 04:22 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=369291
I don't see how the diffuser would void any warranty it's not a mechanical part so it can't cause any mechanical problems.

The exhaust however depends, as long as it's bolt on, you could always bolt it off and bolt on your stock exhaust if you had any problems with your emission system.

My post is purely based on logic, as long as you don't get caught they can't deny you! Just like my iphone, it's jailbroken but if I ever needed warranty work all I have to do is restore it to default, what they don't know won't hurt em! Of course if a dealer doing your warranty work was to happen to come across this thread it would be fraud! lol no chance of that happening though because they don't have the brains to go that in depth!!
Its funny you say that the dealers arent to smart to research forums and I'll tell you first hand that they are, I had a 06 Nissan Sentra SER Spec-V and I had a ton of mods on it and I blew my tranny at the race track (long story) I towed it home stripped it and put it as close to stock as possibly and took it to the dealer for the repairs. Well dummy me had posted alot of pictures to forums and I even uploaded videos of my car on You tube and the dealer saved the links and then denied the warrenty claim saying I moddified and abused the car. I deleted every possible picture and video from the web so they no longer had proof of mods or stated abuse and went to another dealer for the work. They did the work under warrenty and had no idea I ever had the mods or that I raced it. It was a the next season when I was at the race track again and guess what... here is one of the machanics from dealer one snapping pictures of my car and even taking pictures of my vin through the windshield.

It was the next visit to the dealer that I realized they actually printed the pictures and had them in a file folder and the service manager presented them to me when I can in for warrenty work. I had no idea they would go so far but apparently they did. I dont think the second dealer cared enough to do the research because they got paid either way... I ended up using the more relaxed dealer for any further repairs and everything worked out. The moral of this story is that if its a major repair needs to be made they might do everything they can to fight it. My dealer went all out.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.