Hyundai Forums banner

Dealers-good And Bad

159K views 382 replies 295 participants last post by  S-petersen 
#1 ·
First time Hyundai buyer after a long time Nissan enthusiast. Went to Bowser Hyundai, Chippewa Pa. and so far am very pleased. The sales rep I have been dealing with Ed Casciato, has gone to the wall for me several times. Was a very pleasant no hassle buying experience.

On day of taking delivery, it was noted that the carpeted floor mats were missing. They were ordered, but after a week of them not coming in, Ed and the sales manager took a set from another car on the lot and put in mine to keep me happy. I will post of service department experiences as they happen.

#2 ·
I always believe "Service after the sale, is as important as the sale itself" I'm in the top 1% for customer satisfaction and I won a bronze award the other day for top sales in the country.

My CSI score as well as everyone of the salesman here hold over a 990+ CSI (customer satisfaction score). We have owned Hyundai as part of the family dealerships since 2002 when a dealer down the street dumped the franchise.

We are a five franchise family ( Chevy, Cadillac, Hyundai, Mitsubishi, Suzuki) We also have four used car stores and a sports and cycle super center.

We are the ONLY Cadillac dealer in NH and we have one of the nicest showrooms in the country.

I would love to give this forum the same service I provide my customers so if there comes a day you want to buy a car from any of my five franchises or need parts please don't hesitate to call or email me.

#3 ·
Guys, Please don't chit chat on this thread, it is supposed to be a information thread about dealers. Only post here if you have specific info, good or bad about a dealer!

#4 ·
I think I've told this story before, but this is a good place for it. It's a little long I'm afraid.

I bought my first new car back in 1972 but didn't buy another new one until 1989 when I bought the a Sonata in it's first year in the U.S. I don't remember much about the sales experience honestly. I probably paid too much and got taken advantage of. But I didn't know any better at the time. I only had 1 service experience and it was really great. I had a dead battery, my fault. Tried to jump start the car and must have done something wrong. I blew a bunch of fuses and almost every light bulb in the car. Of course, since all the fuses were blown I didn't know about the bulbs. Not only did they fix it all without charge, they did it while I waited without me even making an appointment.

I was really happy with the car, very pleased with the service and 3 years later decided to trade up to a newer model since they now offered a 6 cyl (sound familiar?). Well I had the worst buying experience I've had other than the few times I got into shouting matches with idiot salesmen. When I showed up at the dealership they only had 1 salesperson on the floor. So when I asked for a test drive I was told I'd have to take one on my own. OK, not a big deal. So the sales buy goes and looks for a car. Sat there about 15 minutes all alone waiting in the showroom. Finally he pulls a car up to the side door. This thing looked like it came off the truck 5 minutes before. Not only did it still have plastic on the seats, it had plastic bags of misc. parts sitting on the passenger seat. But I went and took it for a little test drive anyway because I wanted to see how the 6 performed. Drove about 2 miles and turned around to go back to the dealer. About half a mile from getting back the car ran out of gas. Walked back to the dealer, told him where the car was, handed him the keys and left.

Fast forward to 2010 and I end up buying my new Sonata from the same dealer. It wasn't by design, but they were one of the few that responded to requests for quotes and they came in with the best price. Well actually, some might consider it slightly shady because they came through with an unbelievable price. The reason they were able to do that was because they didn't include the destination charges in the quote. But even with that, it was still about $500 better than any other quote.

Other than that, the rest of the sales experience was really pretty good. The Internet sales person (Tammy) did her job and tried to push all the add-ons like paint protection, extended warranties and whatever else. But she was respectful enough to not push when I said no. The finance guy was a little pushier trying to sell me wheel and tire protection, but honestly, I think it's because he really believed in the policy. I ended up buying it for about 60% of the original asking price. He also made himself a little bit of extra money by getting me a better rate through a local bank than Hyundai financing.

Back in 1989 when I bought my first Hyundai, the choice of dealers was scant. This dealer is about 15 miles from where I live and back then it was the closest around. Now I have 20 dealers within 25 miles of where I live. There's at least 3 or 4 closer than this dealer. But I still remember that one service experience. I only have to deal with the sales people once when I buy a car. But I might have to deal with the service people many times over the time of ownership.

I'm taking mine in Wednesday for the first service. Getting my 1K oil change and I'll ask them to look at a rattle near the glove box. It will be interesting to see how the service matches up with my previous experience. I really never expect much when trying to get rattles fixed, so it will be interesting.

Just reread this long rambling text and realize I haven't actually mentioned the dealer. Sorry, it's Loren Hyundai in Gleveiw Illinois.

Oh, almost forget to the best part of the whole sales experience. After I'd agreed to the purchase and while I was waiting for them to run my credit, the owner of the dealership came out to 'congratulate' me on my purchase. You know, add that little extra schmooze. So he comes in, introduces himself, and thanks me for my business. Then he says, "Wow, that really is a sharp looking car in black." I said, "Yea, probably is, but I'm buying a white one." He looked really angry that someone fed him the wrong information.

#5 ·
Received wonderful service through the Internet Department of Ed Voyles Hyundai in Smyrna, Georgia. Lanny is the sales guy.

I made my deal on my black/black LTD w/nav on Super Bowl Sunday. Didn't take possession of the car until 5 weeks later. Lanny was very cool with me stalking his dealership, kicking the tires of the other models and generally hanging out there way too much during the wait.

Despite making the deal with next to no inventory to speak of, I still got $2k of MSRP + $500 owner loyalty. They are a high volume dealer so they can push buttons the little guys can't (or so I was told).

#6 ·
QUOTE (HyundaiDealer @ Apr 11 2010, 09:55 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=312172
I always believe "Service after the sale, is as important as the sale itself" I'm in the top 1% for customer satisfaction and I won a bronze award the other day for top sales in the country.

My CSI score as well as everyone of the salesman here hold over a 990+ CSI (customer satisfaction score). We have owned Hyundai as part of the family dealerships since 2002 when a dealer down the street dumped the franchise.

We are a five franchise family ( Chevy, Cadillac, Hyundai, Mitsubishi, Suzuki) We also have four used car stores and a sports and cycle super center.

We are the ONLY Cadillac dealer in NH and we have one of the nicest showrooms in the country.

I would love to give this forum the same service I provide my customers so if there comes a day you want to buy a car from any of my five franchises or need parts please don't hesitate to call or email me.
i couldn't agree with you more on the topic of "service after the sale." I recently bought a 2011 Hyundai Sonata Limited on March 31st. The dealer did not have the car on site so they worked a trade with a dealership in Minnesota. Since then I have been told by the Iowa dealership that the vehicle will arrive in 2 DAYS - and every two days come and go, and they tell me they aren't sure on when it will arrive. Come this Wednesday it will be two weeks since I bought the vehicle and still have no clue on when I will get it. I've asked the dealership about how they track the vehicles and they basically told me they only have an estimated delivery date and cannot track trucks. Is this true? I have my vehicle VIN number and that's but it. I was talking with another poster whom had a similar story and they contacted Hyundai corporate and was called by them with tracking info such as the time it was in production, the time it was/is on the train, and when it will arrive at the dealership.

Can you please let me know if you can shed any light on the process or where I could do to help me get a firm delivery date? I have sent corporate Hyundai an email and hoping they too call me back with details. Needless to say I truly feel like I'm being yanked around by the dealership and that they truly don't care about their customer after they make the sell.

Thanks,

Mike

#7 ·
QUOTE (mykdoyle @ Apr 12 2010, 09:24 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=312456
i couldn't agree with you more on the topic of "service after the sale." I recently bought a 2011 Hyundai Sonata Limited on March 31st. The dealer did not have the car on site so they worked a trade with a dealership in Minnesota. Since then I have been told by the Iowa dealership that the vehicle will arrive in 2 DAYS - and every two days come and go, and they tell me they aren't sure on when it will arrive. Come this Wednesday it will be two weeks since I bought the vehicle and still have no clue on when I will get it. I've asked the dealership about how they track the vehicles and they basically told me they only have an estimated delivery date and cannot track trucks. Is this true? I have my vehicle VIN number and that's but it. I was talking with another poster whom had a similar story and they contacted Hyundai corporate and was called by them with tracking info such as the time it was in production, the time it was/is on the train, and when it will arrive at the dealership.

Can you please let me know if you can shed any light on the process or where I could do to help me get a firm delivery date? I have sent corporate Hyundai an email and hoping they too call me back with details. Needless to say I truly feel like I'm being yanked around by the dealership and that they truly don't care about their customer after they make the sell.

Thanks,

Mike
Mental note for the future. Don't pay for a car before it's right there in your hands ready to go. Put a small deposit down sure. My dealer wanted me to do the paperwork before the car arrive, I said no and that was that. I didn't even have to put a deposit down. If they want your future sale they will work with you. If it was a car that wouldn't sell I'm sure it'd be a different ball game.

#9 ·
if you are in n.e. ohio, crestmont hyundai treated me very well. mark m., the internet manager, was my contact, as i did all my shopping online. he came in under the price i was asking for, the first time! the sale went quick and smooth, no hiccups, unexpected charges, or the attempt to get me to buy one of their stupid add ons. car was delivered in great shape.

mickey

#10 ·
Throw out my kuddos for Crowfoot Hyundai in Calgary. They are a new Hyundai dealer, but great bunch of guys. The service department is fantastic and so when it came time to buy the Sonata, Crowfoot was the only place I visited. Sure I might get a better deal elsewhere but I would rather give my business to a dealer that has treated me great on the service side. My old car is a Dodge but after getting yanked around by Dodge dealers I've been getting service done at Hyundai and has been very happy. I wasn't looking forward to having to deal with salesmen when it came to negotiating but my sales rep was fantastic. Very knowledgable and was no pressure at all. He explained the extra stuff like protection packages but didn't push them or say they were needed. I knew he was a great guy when I asked if spending a extra $2000 for nav was worth it and to hear a sales rep so personally he wouldn't but was ultimately my choice.

Anyways finance was just as painless, again they explained warranty plans, protection plans and other add ons but didn't push any of it when I said not interested. But since I knew the service manager I thought maybe I was getting special treatment, but a friend of mine went there to look at a Tucson and came away with the same great service.

This was my best car buying experience and I know ther service department will continue to be fantastic. One thing I would reconmend is to build a relationship with your service advisor too.

#11 ·
This is my experience with four dealers in my area:
One of the four dealers I'm working with, trying to buy my LTD w/nav in specific color told me something previously mentioned on THIS forum: said they are the largest dealer in my area and therefore they have much better access to specific models/colors. He said allotment by Hyundai is done according to which one sold the most cars in the previous year. The high selling dealers get the first picks, he said.

Anyone know if this is true?

Apparently there just isn't a red LTD w/nav available anywhere in the country right now, but as soon as there are, he says his dealership is in the best position to get one for me.
If any dealers are reading this post, please tell me if this is true.

Thanks
Rick

#12 ·
Ordering of cars is done by me at our dealership. Every week there is an allocation sheet with the models available. You can NOT pick color all you can say is what model code you want and the rest is done by Hyundai corp.

It is totally different with our chevy store, domestics are done differently allowing you to order color and models.

It does not matter how many cars you sold or who you know or Bl**....Hyundai controls inventory very well and hence the reason they are a profitable company.

Sometimes it does suck though if you have the need for a certain car at a certain time....that's when you must rely on other dealers to do a swap...which sucks!!

#13 ·
Does anyone have experience with the Hyundai dealers in and around Los Angeles area?

I'm looking specifically for Parkway Hyundai in Valencia, Thousand Oaks Hyundai, Keyes Hyundai in Van Nuys, Glendale Hyundai, or Team Hyundai in Pasadena. I'll even look into Commerce Hyundai and Cerritos Hyundai if I have to.

Thanks!!

#14 ·
I got my 2011 Limited w/o NAV from Morrie's Hyundai in the Minneapolis Area. They gave me a very fair trade in for my 2009 Sonata GLS and quoted me 24,325 for the new one, which included the IPod cable and the floor mats. I know it is not the lowest price I have seen but I was fine with it plus they were far above another Hyundai dealer that I spoke to on the trade offer. Also got the $500 owner loyalty. When I came back to buy it after the initial offer and test drive they honored their initial offers for the new car price and the trade.

I wanted a Radiant Silver without NAV and they did not have one. The Internet Sales guy said they would look in the area and if nothing, they would get a factory preference for one. I said sure go look in the area and they found one in wisconsin. I said go for it and they had it in just a few days and got it all cleaned up for me when I came in to buy.

All the financing went smoothly. They of course pushed an extended warranty and had to tell them no a few times but I think most dealers push that nowadays.

#15 ·
QUOTE (jambaj0e @ Apr 13 2010, 06:50 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=313040
Does anyone have experience with the Hyundai dealers in and around Los Angeles area?

Thanks!!
When I bought last year I shopped all over, Keyes had the best price. I Also worked with Commerce and Glendora. I ended up at Glendora as they got close to the Keyes price and had an easy going sales experience. :thumbsup:

#16 ·
QUOTE (BiXLL @ Apr 10 2010, 11:45 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=312083
First time Hyundai buyer after a long time Nissan enthusiast. Went to Bowser Hyundai, Chippewa Pa. and so far am very pleased. The sales rep I have been dealing with Ed Casciato, has gone to the wall for me several times. Was a very pleasant no hassle buying experience.

On day of taking delivery, it was noted that the carpeted floor mats were missing. They were ordered, but after a week of them not coming in, Ed and the sales manager took a set from another car on the lot and put in mine to keep me happy. I will post of service department experiences as they happen.
Hey, we bought our Entourage from Bowser last fall. Drove all the way across the state to get it. They had several in stock that they got from a dealership in GA that went out of business and were sold at auction. So we got a certified "used" Entourage with a few miles on the clock for a killer price. We also got the exact color combination we wanted and couldn't be happier. They also gave us a good trade in value on my wife's santa fe. We were a little nervous because after driving that far it wasn't like we were planning on turning back around without the car, but they were great about everything. Heck, I considered giving them a call to see what sort of deal I could get on a 2011!

I've also been happy with Springfield Hyundai which is where I bought my 2011 from.

#17 ·
When you order a "model code", does that specify options like nav/sunroof? Or is it simply GLS/SE/LTD?

QUOTE (HyundaiDealer @ Apr 13 2010, 03:14 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=312923
Ordering of cars is done by me at our dealership. Every week there is an allocation sheet with the models available. You can NOT pick color all you can say is what model code you want and the rest is done by Hyundai corp.

It is totally different with our chevy store, domestics are done differently allowing you to order color and models.

It does not matter how many cars you sold or who you know or Bl**....Hyundai controls inventory very well and hence the reason they are a profitable company.

Sometimes it does suck though if you have the need for a certain car at a certain time....that's when you must rely on other dealers to do a swap...which sucks!!

#18 ·
QUOTE (vewdew @ Apr 18 2010, 01:13 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=314247
When you order a "model code", does that specify options like nav/sunroof? Or is it simply GLS/SE/LTD?

Actually it does not....All we get is an allocation sheet and we can check off the models we want, but as far as choosing options No! It's honestly a rain PIA but this is how Hyundai stays profitable.

#19 ·
That's really too bad. I'm stuck trying to find an SE with nav package (in any one of 3 colors) and there are none to be had within at least a 300 mile radius of me. I was hoping I could order one, but it sounds like that's not even an option. As a manufacturing engineer, I can appreciate how limiting the ability of the customer to buy what he/she wants contributes to being profitable by allowing them to schedule larger runs of a given configuration at thier own descretion. However, that basically puts them at the mercy of the accuracy of the sales/marketing teams projections for color/options, and we already know how well they hit that one... :whistling:

Thanks for the info though, it will help me a lot. It looks like there's nothing I can do but just sit back and hope they make one and it happens to show up in my neck of the woods. :liebe011:

QUOTE (HyundaiDealer @ Apr 18 2010, 10:33 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=314302
Actually it does not....All we get is an allocation sheet and we can check off the models we want, but as far as choosing options No! It's honestly a rain PIA but this is how Hyundai stays profitable.

#20 ·
I'm adding a plug for Lia Hyundai of Hartford, CT. I can't think of anything they could have done to make my experience better. It helped that I had done my homework ahead of time, and knew what I wanted. The salesman did all he could to accommodate me, and overall I'm well pleased. We will see how the service rates at my 1000-mile service.

Key Hyundai of Manchester is actually much closer to my home, so I'll probably have most of my servicing done there. The only thing was they didn't have what I was looking for in stock. I wanted to see, drive, and buy off the lot, which is why I went to Lia. However, I have several friends who have purchased from Key Hyundai, and they highly recommend that dealership as well.

Both have Saturday service hours, which is an absolute necessity.

#21 ·
To everyone out there "searching" for that certain Sonata. I can tell you this, Your exact specifications CAN be preferenced. I do it all the time. The dealer specs out the vehicle, and when a vehicle that meets those specs is built, it goes into your allocation ( in order of request, of course). I've special ordered four new Sonatas so far. If the customer is patient he can get exactly what he wants. We as dealers, are going to try and sell you what we have in stock, of course! After talking with the distribution warehouse this morning, I think you will see a more steady flow of the new Sonatas withing about 4 weeks.

#23 ·
Apparently, this is true. I went to a dealer today and this is what they are going to try for me. They called it "dealer allocation preferencing" or something to that effect. Apparently, they have to go through the district sales manager for our region to do it, but they've done it before. The downside is that you have absolutely no way of knowing when the factory will schedule that particular combination (and they're not doing it just for you), so you're basically in limbo. Can't lock in any sort of transactions either without a VIN, which it won't get until it's built. Not really the same thing as special order, per se, but close enough I guess.

On a related note, has anyone actually seen a Venetial Red SE w/ nav? They were not even sure if any have been built yet, and now that I think about, I've not seen anybody on here mention seeing/buying one either. I may be waiting a long time. :(

QUOTE (rwork @ Apr 19 2010, 03:04 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=314640
To everyone out there "searching" for that certain Sonata. I can tell you this, Your exact specifications CAN be preferenced. I do it all the time. The dealer specs out the vehicle, and when a vehicle that meets those specs is built, it goes into your allocation ( in order of request, of course). I've special ordered four new Sonatas so far. If the customer is patient he can get exactly what he wants. We as dealers, are going to try and sell you what we have in stock, of course! After talking with the distribution warehouse this morning, I think you will see a more steady flow of the new Sonatas withing about 4 weeks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.