Hyundai Forums banner

341 - 360 of 367 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Elgin Hyundai Elgin Illinois = VERY BAD! Worked with the online sales department and agreed on the car and price. Went in to buy the car and didn't go home with the car that was already a done deal until 8 hours later! Three other people came in not knowing what car they were even interested in and bought their cars and drove home before I was handed my keys. Then they hounded me over and over again not to give them a bad review. I was never even shown how to use all the features in my car since the sales rep was new and didn't know and the manager who was supposed to go over all the specs and features was too busy the entire 8 hours I was waiting! As for the service department they are just as bad. My car has been in the shop 3 times and only once was I given a rental or loaner. Every other time I was told I would have to wait 2-3 weeks for a loaner? So I had to wait again all day for the service to get done or find myself another ride. Then when they actually did the repairs they damaged my brand new car with poor work.

Wilkens Hyundai Elmhurst, IL = Good! After Elgin Hyundai jacked up my car I took it to Wilkens. Unfortunately they were not able to fix my car since the prior dealer made such a mess but after the 1st dealer refused to fix the damage they created Wilkens contacted Hyundai Corporate on my behalf and got them involved which forced Elgin Hyundai to address the damage.

·
Registered
795 Posts
More on the Shift Cable Recall…

Last time I spoke on this was in January of this year. I’ve been waiting to see when my dealer was going to contact me, but so far it hasn’t happened, and today I found out why.

My wife has a doctor appointment on Friday in the same town as the dealer we bought the Sonata from, so I decided to call them and see if they had the cable clip (YET) and could fit me in on Friday. I spoke to their service manager and voiced my displeasure on how they had completely dropped the ball on my recall repair job. He immediately apologized and explained that they are the “NEW OWNERS” and had taken over that dealership almost a year ago. He also apologized if I had had any bad experiences with the prior owner. He said that dealer had gotten so many major complaints for poor service practices that they had to be shut. He said they were horrible and all the prior employees had been replaced when the new owner took over. Horrible? Gee. That’s been my opinion of them since I bought the car. My past posts in this thread have shown that.

Next he asked my name, and to his surprise, I was NOT in his system. He had to create a new account for me, and was very quick to set me up with that recall appointment on Friday afternoon.

Now I have to wonder. If I was not in their system when they tried looking me up, where are my past maintenance and service records from the prior dealership? I had 3 oil changes with them before I decided to do my own simple service. I’ll be asking them that when I get over there Friday. I guess it’s a good thing I kept the other dealers receipts.

·
Registered
795 Posts
At Last. An Answer...

At last, I finally got to the bottom of this fiasco…

As it turns out, when the tech removed the console today he said the shift clip was already there. The best they could figure was the tech must have done it when I had the oil change done on January 14th, 2015 and nobody filed the paperwork. The original dealer vacated that building the following week, and the new owner took over in February, 2015.

When I called for this appointment last week, they could find no records of me being a customer, but when they ran my serial number today, they found my old records. They saw where I was there on Jan. 14th, and it was noted on their paperwork that the clip had been installed, but the proper forms were never completed and documented, and I never signed off on it. The new dealer said that was a big mistake on the part of the old dealer, and they filed the proper paperwork today and I signed it, so everything is finally in order. They figured the prior dealer knew they were on the way out when I was there in January and pretty much didn’t care about what they were doing.

Kudos’ to this new dealership for digging in and getting to the bottom of this for me. They were very professional and helpful in every way. I left the dash-cam on the whole time and saw the tech pull it in his work bay. I could hear him taking the console loose and putting it back together. He also popped the hood, checked the oil and air filter and topped off the fluids.

They were all very nice and apologetic and are going to send me a vial of touch-up paint for a couple of minor scratches. I will give these new folks a try when time comes for any major maintenance, but in the meantime I still intend to do all of the simple stuff myself.

The new owners name is “Chris Auffenberg Hyundai of Cape Girardeau MO.” Job well done.

Missouri Hyundai | Auffenberg Hyundai of Cape Girardeau Serving Jackson, MO

·
Registered
274 Posts
Danny_D, Glad to hear that the recall had already been done, your records are more up to date, and most importantly, you and your area may now have a decent dealer!

·
Registered
115 Posts
Wish I had found this thread sooner.

Service department at Tustin Hyundai is not to be trusted. I had a problem with the 2011 Sonata stalling for no apparent reason while at idle. It happened a couple of times so I took it in. They told me they couldn't do a thorough analysis of my electrical system because my battery was old and near expired. Sounded fishy to me but I went ahead and bought the battery anyway because I knew I needed it. Not that I couldn't have done so at much less money elsewhere.

They kept the car overnight then proceeded to tell me they found no problem. I wasn't too happy because i knew there was a problem somewhere. The service manager then insisted that replacing the battery solved my problem. That's when I called BS. Low batteries do not cause stalls. I told him I was aware that all cars are designed with a charging system capable of running all the power the car need without assistance from the battery. If they weren't, low batteries would be causing stalls and accidents everywhere, all the time.

In the course of further discussing this with the service writer, I told her (in a non threatening way without raising my voice) her boss was an a$$hole. She suggested calling Hyundai to have one of their techs come out and look at it. I did. I also spoke to the dealership general manager and explained the whole situation to him as well as my opinion of his service manager. He was fine with having the Hyundai tech come to the dealership and look at my car. An appointment was scheduled. Then I got a call from Hyundai corporate telling me that the dealership didn't want me to bring my car to their dealership. No explanation, just don't show up there.

I ended up going to another dealer where the corporate Hyundai tech came out and looked at the car with the local service department. They immediately identified a faulty ignition switch and replaced it under warranty. Apparently that was waaay to difficult an issue for Tustin Hyundai to resolve. Lying that the problem was solved and sending the customer away was easier.

The incompetent service manager at Tustin Hyundai was apparently exactly the kind of liar Tustin Hyundai likes to have running their service department. I called and spoke to the general manager again and he wouldn't discuss it with me other than to say he felt is was just better if i took my business elsewhere in the future. Well all righty then, no problem. I would not buy a dollar bill for 50 cents from those people ever again. Nor any of the other dealerships owned by the same group. I would hope nobody else would either.

·
Registered
121 Posts
The service Department at Massey Hyundai in Hagerstown, MD. Has treated me very well. They never try to hard up sell any services. Kudos Massey Hyundai.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Service Department of Key Hyundai of Manchester, CT - AWFUL

Every time i go in i brace and prepare for battle, and every time a battle happens. i purchased 2 cars from them and have all my service done there and they act like i'm a stranger that just walked off the street with a crap car from another manufacturer when something goes wrong.

Jill Miriam is the owner, her motto is that she is 'for the people!'. Doubt it.

·
Registered
82 Posts
The Service Checker Flag Hyundai VaBeach
Is improving they are a smaller subsidy if the larger Checker Flag
Group in this area. I hope they will
Continue to try to improve and approach the level of Service of the
Larger Toyota group. There problem
Could be the diversity of Korean auto manufactory models IE kia
is a different model or really a clone
Of Hyundia, causing a split in parts
And models .

·
Registered
13,266 Posts
I should say I have a rather pleasant experience at Country Hyundai in Mass. I didn't buy the car there, I bought it used, but it doesn't bother them in the least. $20 oil changes, last service was about 1/2 of the 90,000 mile and it cost $150, and quote for a timing belt when needed was $400. Independents quoted $800 for the belt.

·
Registered
4 Posts
First post on this site! Glad to be here.
Bought my 2011 Sonata SE new in 2010 from Freysinger Hyundai in Mechanicsburg, Pa. Outstanding dealership and service dept.. Very friendly staff and accommodating. I'm generally not a fan of dealerships but they don't try to up sell too hard. They work around my schedule for appts and my car is washed and ready when promised. Can't ask for anything more from them

·
Registered
11 Posts
I would warn against having major work done at Lia Hyundai of Albany NY. I took my 2007 sonata in to have the oil pan and transmission pan replaced due to rust issues on both that were starting to have a small leak start. While there the service advisor informed me that there was a recall on the rear suspension and that they could inspect for the issue and replace the parts while the car was in there at the same time. The rear arms needed to be replaced and he stated they would replace and coat them and the front suspension components that needed it at the same time. When I picked my car up and pulled out of the dealer the steering wheel was pointed way off to the passenger side in order to go straight. In the half mile it took me to find a spot to turn around the esc off light came on and the car entered " limp home mode " . when I told the service writer this he stated they did nothing to the alignment even after I showed him the wheel and took him for a short ride. They reset the lights and sent me on my way . Part way home esc off comes on, car is definitely not handling right so I call my normal mechanic and end up dropping the car off to him instead of going home. He called me into the shop to show me the rear suspension. The tech left rear suspension mounting bolts loose enough to turn out by hand, no tools required. The rear alignment was so far out the car was dog tracking, hence the steering wheel issue. The car was reading a slippage issue with the drivetrain hence the esc light. If I had continued to drive the car the suspension would have fallen apart and could have possibly killed me or someone else. Called the dealer, they denied wrongdoing. Talked to the manager same thing. Filed a complaint with corporate h.q but never did get any resolution on the issue.

·
Registered
277 Posts
My local and usual dealer screwed up my oil change today, I brought my own oil like always and when it was "done" I checked my trunk and the 5qt jug was sitting there unopened, needless to say I went back in and made them do it right the second time. I also decided I'll just invest in some oil changing equipment and do it myself from now on.

·
Registered
3,911 Posts
My local and usual dealer screwed up my oil change today, I brought my own oil like always and when it was "done" I checked my trunk and the 5qt jug was sitting there unopened, needless to say I went back in and made them do it right the second time. I also decided I'll just invest in some oil changing equipment and do it myself from now on.
If one can do it yourself,you are better off,at least you know it will be done right.

·
Registered
3,911 Posts
Not Hyundai related,but,figured that this was the best place for it. Parked next to this car in the mall and got a kick out of it. We actually bought our 2014 Sonata from this dealership. Beware if you ever go to this dealership as the sign is very true.They had three signs on their car,so,to drive around like that,they must be really piss**.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Local Dealer Experience

I bought this car (with high miles) because it was quiet, tight, and responsive. I got the car from the son of a person that had to enter assisted living and isn't be driving any longer.
This Sonata must have been taken in trade and resold this past year by the local Jeep dealer...I found this condition when checking the air filter. Note the date on the front!
After changing the filter, I changed the ATF...I'm getting the radiator flushed this week.
I looked up maintenance records on Carfax...there are gaps for years.

There are many dealers large and small, that say they did your routine maintenance but do nothing, but take your money.
Now I go to a shop where you can watch them work on your car, if it's something a can't do.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Also the same dealer installed the wrong oil filter (smaller and for a Honda)! They have an auto parts store right next to them...so there is no excuse!

·
Registered
78 Posts
Great lakes Hyundai in Streetsboro ohio, smallest dealership in the area, somehow has at least 100 knuckle heads working there. everyone is extremely nice to the point where its annoying. I think they are overly nice because they lie and try to get away with something!
I took my car in to get service work done. in which the car HAS to be running. and test drive after. so I'm waiting for 45 mins in the showroom and the kid that's probally 23 comes in and says my cars done. (all tires balanced and rotated, fuel system cleaned, anti freeze flush trans flush)
now I told them I DONT want just drain and fills) I want flush because that's what the manual says!!!
anyway for the smount of work to be done I thought it would take longer then 45 mins. he said no I have the best tech working on it today.
the car started fine with no problems after test drive. ok great!!!

p.s. my car has an ignition interlock that can only be started by blowing in it. also has a log on when/how many times it has been started. :)
he said they used obd2 to by pass the starter and run the car lol

also I somehow bought 2 cars from here. and it always takes 2 days of negotiating.

341 - 360 of 367 Posts
About this Discussion
366 Replies
286 Participants
karkrazy13
Hyundai Forums
Hyundai Forum is a community for all Hyundai Owners to talk and learn all about their favorite subject: Hyundai cars from the Sonata to the Elantra and even the new Kona!
Full Forum Listing