Hyundai Forums banner

321 - 340 of 367 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Bergstrom Hyundai - Appleton, WI

I have had two very positive experiences with Bergstrom Hyundai in Appleton with one tiny hiccup along the way.

First off, last winter we had temps as low as -30 without the wind chill. Lots of cold, snow, and ice. Somehow during this, my rear view camera failed. I brought it into Bergstrom for an assessment, and they replaced the unit under warranty. No problems.

Secondly, I took off my rear license plate to wax my car and noticed rust bubbles forming from the collection of moisture & probably salt. Also, when you pop the trunk, I noticed rust forming on the inside where the metal meets the rubber seal. They had my come in for another assessment, took pictures, sent them off to their regional people for review. Called me a week later to make me an appointment to have the trunk re-finished. I brought it in and got it back 4 days later. When I got my Sonata home, I looked it over more carefully and noticed a speck of dirt in the clear, and a run on the outside... and noticed that they completely neglected to refinish the inside of the trunk. I called the body shop and talked to the manager who apologized and said not only will they refinish the outside because of the defects in the spray, but take care of the inside as well as it was their mistake. They went the extra mile and clear coated the inside of the trunk to further prevent any corrosion and also repainted an area near where I take my foot out and rocks from my boot in the winter scraped/chipped some of the paint off (by the door sill) for no extra charge. I was pretty pleased!

·
Registered
795 Posts
Hi everyone. Just joined the board a couple of days ago, and have a question.

This might be a dealer issue, but at this point I’d rather not reveal where they are until I get a final answer. Before I pursue this any further, I would like to hear from some of you that might know specifically what I’m talking about.

First, I apologize for the long-winded post, but I didn’t want to leave anything to question with my situation. Thanks in advance for your time & patience. :)

I just bought a new 2014 Sonata GLS on March 1st... The dealer threw in the FOREVER WARRANTY, which takes over when the mfg's. 10 year, 100,000 mile engine/drive-train warranty expires. They will take over and honor the same engine/drive-train warranty for as long as I own the car, PROVIDED... I have the car serviced on the exact schedule required by the owner’s manual, and can provide the receipts as proof. Not a problem, this is my retirement car and I really love it, and plan on keeping it for the rest of my life (am 67 now).

I'm old school when it comes to breaking in new engines, so I made the decision, on my own, to change the oil & filter at 2400 miles. After that, I would follow the recommended 6 month, 7500 mile schedule exactly as outline in the book.

I took it back to the dealer last week for its first oil change, which is free. I had put 2400 miles on it in 18 weeks, or 4 1/2 months, which is roughly 130 miles a week. That will be the average for us, considering my wife & I don't work, so we just use it a few times a week for the usual stuff. I estimate we will put between 7 & 8 thousand miles a year on it. We live in rural Missouri on a main highway about 5 miles out of town. No dirt roads or mountains. Very easy driving and road conditions. We also have a 1992 Toyota Camry, and a Ford Pickup, to be used in bad weather. The Sonata and Camry are kept in an enclosed garage when not in use. My last new car purchase was the 92 Camry, which is still in like-new condition with 169,000 miles on it. As you can tell, I am a fanatic about taking care of my cars.

Now to the point of my post.

While I was at the dealer last week, the service manager informed me that “for warranty purpose, I would have to get my car serviced at 3000 miles, or 3 month intervals.” I explained, it's a 2.4 L GLS, non-turbo. The manual says 7500 miles or 6 months. He says, “The area where we live falls under the conditions of the "SEVERE USAGE" terms.” I asked, how so? He says, "Missouri highways are treated with salt & chemicals during snow & ice storms, and that is one of the qualifying conditions.” I called BS on him and accused him of trying to get extra revenue out of me. I am on a fixed income now, and have to watch my money, so I don't want to pay for unnecessary service. Plus, its 50 miles to this dealer, one way. I figured with the low mileage I would be driving, I would only need service every 6 months, or 2 times a year.

I left the dealer a little angry, with the intentions of getting to the bottom of this. I sent an email to Hyundai-usa.com requesting a list of the states that fall under the "severe usage" requirements. Here is part of their reply.

---------------------
“We recommend at minimum to follow the Normal Maintenance Schedule unless any one of the Severe Usage Conditions applies to you. The Severe Usage Maintenance Schedule should be followed if your vehicle is driven:

- for repeated short distances
- in dusty or sandy areas
- in areas where salt or other corrosive materials are used
- on rough or muddy roads, or in mountainous areas
- for extended periods of idling or low speed operation
- for prolonged periods in cold or extremely humid climates
- more than 50% of the time in heavy city traffic in temperatures above 90°F
- with brakes are used extensively”

---------------------

None of those apply for me, other than the “salt & corrosive materials” and of course, I don’t plan on EVER using the Sonata in snow or ice or nasty roads. But none-the-less, the service manager still says 3k/3mo.

Next I called the “Warranty Forever” people to get an idea of what THEY would require. I explained the story to the tech on the phone and he informed me that, “we have gone thru this before, and our policy is, that you follow the normal minimum maintenance schedule exactly as required in the owners manual.” He said “the severe usage terms were too vague and subjective, and open to too many different interpretations, so much so that they simply ignore it.” And if you read those terms, you will agree.

Hyundai will be responsible for the warranty on this car for the next 10 years. There is no way I’ll put 100,000 miles on it. Has anyone else ever heard of this before, and should I have to adhere to the service managers demands of 3k/3mo to keep from voiding my warranty up until the FOREVER WARRANTY kicks in? (If they’re still in business in 10 years) LOL!

Any input would be welcomed and appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Dan

·
Registered
29 Posts
My dealer strongly suggested that I abide by the Severe Usage Maintenance Schedule as well. I live in the Chicago-area in which salt is used on snow or ice-covered roads during the winter months, but, like you, I don't plan on ever or minimally using my Sonata under those conditions. The wording of the Severe Usage Maintenance schedule is vague; "repeated" (how many times is "repeated --- does two times qualify?), "rough" (are washboard roads, roads with some pot holes, or roads with otherwise uneven pavement "rough"?), "extended/prolonged periods" (is 10 minutes of idling in warming up the car five mornings a week "extended"?), "heavy city traffic" (stop and go?, crawling along?, a lot of traffic but moving at good speed?), and, of course, "extensively". Unless Hyundai and/or the dealers have objective measures to clear up the vagueness, I don't think they can effectively enforce the Severe Usage Maintenance Schedule, and, if they insist on it, well, consumer protection agencies here I come.

·
Registered
795 Posts
OK, I think I've figured this out. It's right there in the wording of the reply I received from Hyundai USA. It says. "follow the Normal Maintenance Schedule unless any one of the Severe Usage Conditions applies to you."

The only one the service manager said applied to me is I would be using my car "
in areas where salt or other corrosive materials are used".

Well that rule will never apply to me, because I will never use it in those conditions.

Problem solved!

Now I'm going to ask the service manager to carefully explain to me how driving "
in areas where salt or other corrosive materials are used" can cause my motor oil to go bad in 3000 miles. That should be an interesting answer.

·
Registered
29 Posts
"... in areas where salt or other corrosive materials are used". Of course, this means that, if you drive your car into the service area of the dealership with all of the corrosive substances and materials that are stored and used there, you should have your car on the Severe Maintenance Schedule. Ask your service manager if driving in areas that occasionally rain (acid rain) or have defecating birds flying overhead count, too. Ridiculous? His answers might be a good jumping off point to try to determine just what areas you can drive your car in without this ridiculous restriction imposed. Guaranteed, s/he will be so confused that you'll be referred to Hyundai which will, in turn, avoid answering the questions directly and concretely.

·
Registered
859 Posts
wow, just wow what these blood suckers try & do to people. I have my own horror stories but this really bothers me. Like the other member said tell him to put it in writing and sign it & see him start to sweat!

Congrats on the new car & don't let these blood suckers get to you. If you are going to change your oil at 7500 just pick a good, long lasting oil & the blood suckers filter, but i am sure i am preaching to the choir.

OK, I think I've figured this out. It's right there in the wording of the reply I received from Hyundai USA. It says. "follow the Normal Maintenance Schedule unless any one of the Severe Usage Conditions applies to you."

The only one the service manager said applied to me is I would be using my car "
in areas where salt or other corrosive materials are used".

Well that rule will never apply to me, because I will never use it in those conditions.

Problem solved!

Now I'm going to ask the service manager to carefully explain to me how driving "
in areas where salt or other corrosive materials are used" can cause my motor oil to go bad in 3000 miles. That should be an interesting answer.

·
Registered
795 Posts
Congrats on the new car & don't let these blood suckers get to you. If you are going to change your oil at 7500 just pick a good, long lasting oil & the blood suckers filter, but i am sure i am preaching to the choir.
Thanks Tony. My intention is to follow the maintenance schedule in the owners manual, and have the dealer do the work. They can put in the oil required by Hyundai. I have a lifetime warranty on the engine and drive train, above and beyond the standard 100k/10yr manufacturers warranty, so getting the proper service is on them, as far as I'm concerned. And you can bet I will be standing over their shoulders and watching them like a hawk. :nerd:

Dan

·
Registered
5 Posts
Davis Hyundai - Ewing, NJ

Hey, all. New member here.

I bought a 2012 Sonata 2.4 last week at Davis Hyundai in Ewing, NJ. Overall, it was a very good experience, but it wasn't without some quirks. I travel a lot for work, but I always have the option of renting and don't necessarily need to kill my own car. I used to baby my CTS and pound on my Jeep Grand Cherokee until I traded them both in for the Sonata.

The dealership was slimy during my first interaction, of course (who isn't?) When I called to inquire about the car, the first (automatic) response was, "oh, someone just looked at that car this morning, let me see if it sold" and when I told them what I would be trading in, the same person replied, "those are two of our MOST POPULAR models for resale! We would LOVE for you to trade them in!" Ugh, slimy.

Anyway, here were the quirks in the buying experience:

- First, they couldn't find the car on the lot for over half an hour (TWO FULL HOURS after I called to inquire about it)
- After 30 minutes, the salesman asked what features I wanted and suggested he could "find something else for me" in his inventory (I had been searching for months and only wanted that car on that day)
- They never found the keys on my first visit, only a valet that unlocked the door

It took half an hour to find the car and they never found the keys? I'm SO SURE someone was looking at it earlier that day.

So I sat in the car, but couldn't drive it. I go through cars (10th car in 27 years), and I knew it was CPO, so I agreed to buy it based on it having the features I want. I had previously rented upwards of 40 or 50 Sonatas from this generation, so I was already VERY familiar with the feel and handling. I knew I couldn't hear any noises specific to the car ahead of time, but again, it was CPO so I wasn't worried.

They gave me a loaner while they located the keys and prepped the car. They offered to deliver the car to my house on Monday if they didn't get it done on Saturday. I told them "no can do" since I fly out every Sunday night. I offered to pay for everything prior to seeing the car and they didn't fight me. They applied absolutely zero pressure for me to pay prior to delivery, which was nice. I just wanted to get it over with.

I took the loaner home, and they called the next morning to tell me they gave up looking for the keys. They made two brand new fobs and the car would be ready in an hour. The salesman showed me the Carfax (that I forgot to ask to see before buying it) and it showed damage from "impact with a stationary object" in the front right corner that, get this, "resulted in fire/explosion". WTF!? I asked how it could be CPO with that kind of damage shown, and he indicated that only frame damage prevents CPO, "but don't worry, it's perfect". I also saw that the lower control arm was replaced. Maybe the previous owners hit a curb or the top of a parking spot. I have found absolutely NO visual cues of fire or mechanical damage and there's absolutely no smell of smoke inside the car. The car was sold four months after the reported damage.

During the tour of the car during delivery I cut him off during the tour of the steering wheel because I was already familiar with it. When I turned on the car to check out the nav -- which I had never used -- he mistook that as my way of saying I was done with him. He thanked me again and sent me on my way.

Without any temp tags!

I got home, saw that there were no tags on the car and drove back to pick up the temp tag. He installed the tag, we thanked each other again and I was on my way.

I love my new (to me) car, and even after the quirky sale, I would still send people their way. I didn't see anything malicious in their behavior -- even helpful, making sure I looked at the Carfax (after I bought the car, of course). They have a huge selection and tight integration with cars.com.

So, to review:

- slimy receptionist/sales coordinator on the phone
- couldn't find the car for half an hour, two and a half hours if you count the lead time I gave them when scheduling the visit
- thought I was open to other options when they couldn't find the car
- eventually found the car and the valet key so I could sit in it
- did not budge on trade in values, but I was fine with it; I wanted out
- gave me a free loaner to buy time to find the keys and prep the car
- gave up looking and made two brand new fobs the next morning
- forcibly showed me the Carfax (after I bought it)
- misunderstood my intention and cut the delivery short, sending me home without tags!
- they did not wipe the navigation; still showed the previous owner's address set as the home address; panicked a little bit about the Cadillac I just sold them showing my address to future owners

Salesman was a great guy all the way around, just doing his best with the organization that surrounds him. I have a huge dealership near me, so I will probably stay local for service. Davis just beat the other dealer to the punch with inventory. Overall 7/10, would recommend. Just pack some patience.

·
Registered
795 Posts
You Be The Judge...

I received my 2014 Sonata shift cable recall notification in the mail on Sept. 15th, and called the dealer for an appointment the next day, Sept. 16th. They set my appointment for today, Friday, 9/26/2014, 2:00pm. The dealer called this morning at 9:00am and left a message on the answering machine explaining that they have to cancel my appointment because "your car part has still not arrived at the dealership yet".

Since the recall included my 2014 Sonata, I've followed the recall procedures pretty closely. As I understand it, Hyundai was supposed to supply all of their dealers with the cable clip BEFORE any recall notices were sent out. It's a small part, and I'm sure each dealer was issued a lot more than needed.

My personal opinion here is they lied to me, rather than just tell me something came up that caused them to cancel. Like perhaps a mechanic called in sick, or they were overbooked, or so far behind they would not have been able to get me out if I show up at 2:00pm.

I find it hard to believe they were still waiting for "my" part to arrive. I'm a reasonable person and would have accepted any reason to reschedule. I would much rather hear the truth, but I find this excuse to be less than honest. It's a TRUST issue with me.

Anyone else think this is a valid excuse?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Doug's Lynnwood Hyundai - Great Service

Took my 2013 Sonata SE to Doug's Lynnwood Hyundai for the shift cable recall. They got me in right on time and I waited for the work to be completed. One hour later I was on my way. Great service

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just turned in my 2011 Sonata SE turbo for a new lease on a 2014 Limited turbo with the tech pks. I didn't lease it from the dealer that I originally went to because they are a bunch of crooks and they clearly are not interested in customer retention. The dealer that I would urge everyone to stay away from is HUDSON HYUNDAI IN JERSEY CITY NJ. Some people will say don't believe all the negative reviews you see on the internet, In this case I agree with every one of them.

Since HUDSON HYUNDAI IN JERSEY CITY (5 minutes from my home) was not interested in selling me a car at a price fair for both parties i took my business an hour away to BRAD BENSON HYUNDAI IN SOUTH BRUNSWICK NJ. This was the smartest decision that I've made in a long time. I wish I had the sense to go there when I leased my first Hyundai. From the minute I walked in the door and was greeted to the minute I drove away in my new car it was a terrific experience. Who knew buying a car could actually be so easy and enjoyable.
My salesman was Anthony Cassiere was friendly, knowledgeable, fair and efficient. If anyone is in the market for a new or used Hyundai, do yourself a favor and check out Brad Benson Hyundai. You will be glad that you did.
I also had a pleasurable experience with the business manager. Signing final documents has never been so simple. He offered me the extended service plan but did not pressure me at all when I declined. He was also fast and efficient in processing all of my documents so I didn't have to be at the dealership any longer than necessary. Over all a perfect 10 in my book.

Keep up the good work!!

I just bought a pre-owned 2013 Sonata Limited. I completely forgot about Brad Benson - despite hearing their commercials ALL THE TIME on 101.5. I purchased from Pacifico Hyundai in Philadelphia. I suggest everyone avoid them like a plague. ABSOLUTELY NO FOLLOW UP AFTER THE SALE. No one would return my calls or email to get help switching over Blue Link. Ended up going over to my local dealer, Hyundai of Turnersville, who despite the fact that I bought the car elsewhere, took PLENTY of time getting it done for me.

There is something VERY wrong with the people at Pacifico Hyundai. It's like everyone there has been drinking some bad moonshine. Stay FAR away from them.

·
Registered
795 Posts
Follow Up on Sonata Recall

I received my 2014 Sonata shift cable recall notification in the mail on Sept. 15th, and called the dealer for an appointment the next day, Sept. 16th. They set my appointment for today, Friday, 9/26/2014, 2:00pm. The dealer called this morning at 9:00am and left a message on the answering machine explaining that they have to cancel my appointment because "your car part has still not arrived at the dealership yet".
After they cancelled my 9/26/2014 appointment, I called them back 2 weeks later to ask when they would be able to reschedule. The guy said that still didn't have my part and would notify me as soon as they got it. It's now 10/23/2014 and still not a word.

The good news is I scheduled my next oil change & rotation for December the 19th. With a little luck, they might have the part by then.

·
Registered
795 Posts
The Recall Saga Continues...

Early in September of 2014 I got a recall notification for the shift cable clip on my 2014 Sonata. I immediately called my dealer to schedule the repair. They set my appointment for Sept 26th. The dealer called me the morning of the appointment and cancelled, explaining that they had still not received the part from the factory. They indicated they would call me when it came available and re-schedule.

4 months have passed without a word. On Monday January 12th I called them to schedule an oil change. They set my appointment for today, Wednesday the 14th. I showed up 15 minutes early and pulled into their service bay to check in. I then went to the waiting room to wait for an oil change & filter only. No tire rotation because I’m installing new wheels this Friday…

I didn’t bring up the recall because, as I understand it, the first thing they were supposed to do was run my serial number and check for any open recalls. It took them about a half hour to complete the service. I got a bill for the service, paid it, and asked if there was anything else, and they said “no, your vehicles parked in the waiting area”. So I walked out and left. Not one word mentioned about a recall. No notes about it on the paperwork. Nothing at all.

Any advice on what to do next? The next nearest dealer is 90 miles away. :beathorse:

·
Registered
604 Posts
I had a problem once with a Toyota Dealer. There was a recall on the seat track rails. Apparently, in a collision the seat could slide forward.

Anyway, I took the 2010 Toyota Yaris in for repair on a Wednesday and picked it up the next day on a Thursday. Saturday I cleaned the car and I saw the seat bolts. This is how they looked.

I posted this picture on the dealerships Facebook with an explanation about how dissatisfied I was, that Saturday evening.

Monday morning I got a call from the dealership. It was the service manager, he apologized and stated that 8 new bolts were on order and that they would be replaced as soon as they came in. Wednesday they called and ask if the car could be brought in so the bolts could be replaced.

It was fixed and I posted on their Facebook page how they would and did take care of their customer.

Anyway, I would have called Toyota, the dealership manager and pretty much anyone I could. I would have even posted on Toyota facebook page, mentioning the dealer. It did not need to go that far. Be relentless

·
Registered
604 Posts
This thread is also about good dealerships, so I will mention Star Dodge/Hyundai in Abilene Texas. They took care of my Sonata shifter cable problem quickly. Dropped the car off on a Friday around 4:00 PM. Got home and Checked my Email around 6:30 PM. I got one from the dealer stating the car was ready for pick up.

I picked it up Saturday Morning. This dealership has been absolutely fantastic.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Bad - (Long Island, NY) After laughing at the Atlantic group Honda dealership who tried to sell me a GLS as a Limited with aftermarket installs at a limited price (no sunroof) I went next door to Atlantic Hyundai. The car had there was market price 45,000 miles they wanted $19.k. It had a clean car fax, but was in a major accident. Paint job was OK other than the number and we're trying to sell it as a CPO. They almost had me until I did a thorough inspection and noticed the overspray in the engine bay and inside the door on the hinges. This car cannot be sold as a CPO. Be careful out there.

Good - Lancaster PA Hyundai. Can't say enough how great these guys are. Check out their inventory online it's worth the trip.

321 - 340 of 367 Posts
About this Discussion
366 Replies
286 Participants
karkrazy13
Hyundai Forums
Hyundai Forum is a community for all Hyundai Owners to talk and learn all about their favorite subject: Hyundai cars from the Sonata to the Elantra and even the new Kona!
Full Forum Listing