Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 111 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our dealers service department seems to do pretty good work, but there is one thing they have always done that gripes me. On our '08 3.3L Santa Fe I would always take in my own synthetic oil at oil changes. They would invariably call me and inform me that the 5w-30 I brought in didn't match the 5w-20 that was printed on the engine cap. After I insisted they would finally use my oil, but were hesitant saying "Are you sure you don't want to follow the manufacturer recommended oil?" Then I showed them where the book recommended 10w-30 and then they of course said that I was giving them 5w-30 which still wasn't what was recommended.

It turns out that they have a huge tank of 5w-20 and put that in everything unless you bring in your own oil. Today my wife took in our SF 2.0T for it's first oil change and when I looked at the paperwork I see that they used 5w-20 oil. The book says to use either 5w-30 or 10w-30.

For some reason they seem to just love thin oil. On a turbocharged engine that is sometimes run pretty hard in temperatures in excess of 100 degrees I feel that something heavier is going to give better protection. Heading into Winter the lighter oil might be ok, but come next spring I certainly don't want more 5w-20 so I guess I will go back to bringing in my own oil.

What do you all think? Am I worrying too much or do you think I have cause for concern?

·
Retired Staff
11,818 Posts
If the book doesn't say 5W-20 then don't use it. Most other turbo vehicles I am aware of require thicker oil like a 40 weight. I would also use synthetic only in a turbo. Since you have a new filter a simple drain and fill with the proper oil should be fine. This would bother me so I would probably do it very soon.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I work at a Hyundai dealer and we actually use the correct oil, which is 5w20 for the new Hyundai's. Different viscosity oils is not good on the engine with how tight clearances are internally and with variable valve timing, solenoids, etc. that monitor oil pressures etc. We see vehicles come in with issues due to wrong viscosity oils in the engine...admittedly way more Chryslers and Hondas but occasionally Hyundai's as well, especially after the GDI engines came out. I'd use 5w20 if I were you guys, regardless of your old school thoughts on heavier weight oils and it's added protection at higher temps.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I had this same issue with my 2011 optima turbo. The dealer swore it should be 5-W20. The only issue being the cap on the turbo says 5-w30. I do believe that is the issue here. There is also a claim that you can't use synthetics, which is untrue. As long as the oil is the correct weight for that engine, which is different between the 2.4 and 2.0 turbo, and meets API Service ILSAC GF-4 or above classification then you are set. I pushed the issue so hard the Dealer put up a sign in the service department that read:

2.0- 5-W30 ONLY

Was all I red too. Took several calls to corporate, but worth it.

Same thing happened when we bought our 2013 Santa Fe. Dealer said all their cars take 5-w20. Showed them the oil fill cap and one call to corporate later. . . Problem fixed.

D

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
225 Posts
I have a Sonata Turbo, and in the manual it states use only 5-30, but for "best performance" use 5-40. Also it recommends Quaker State as that's what it was filled with from the factory. I do all my own work, but I use 5-40 esp in the summer, Mobile One.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
I work at a Hyundai dealer and we actually use the correct oil, which is 5w20 for the new Hyundai's. Different viscosity oils is not good on the engine with how tight clearances are internally and with variable valve timing, solenoids, etc. that monitor oil pressures etc. We see vehicles come in with issues due to wrong viscosity oils in the engine...admittedly way more Chryslers and Hondas but occasionally Hyundai's as well, especially after the GDI engines came out. I'd use 5w20 if I were you guys, regardless of your old school thoughts on heavier weight oils and it's added protection at higher temps.
Except the car, the owners manual, the service manual, and the dealer all say 5W-30 for my car.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
With advice like this, it is one reason I have been doing my own oil changes for the past 40+ years. Never an oil related problem and I have never had to add one ounce of oil between changes.

·
Registered
232 Posts
With advice like this, it is one reason I have been doing my own oil changes for the past 40+ years. Never an oil related problem and I have never had to add one ounce of oil between changes.
+1

I have to agree... the dealership will cut corners and you never know what is going on. I like to know I did the work myself and know what has been done to my car. Oil changes are very easy to do so why not just do it and learn more about your car.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Another reason why I always do my own oil changes
I also do my own, but I stopped when I got a new Santa Fe because of the warrenty. If there are any engine issues the dealer will need proof of the oil changes, so how, other than through a dealer is one going to have this proof?

I really would like to drop the dealer for oil changes. Three times in a row they overfilled the oil by a quart and I noticed they used a much heavier oil, I don't think thats good on the oil pump.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I believe if you show proof that you had changed your oil the warranty will still be covered. THey just want to make sure that any issue with the engine was not oil related. They may challenge you on that. But keep all your reciepts for the oil you bought and keep a log of all the changes. I had major issues with my mazda engine and I changed my oil. They covered the warranty as the issue was not oil related but defective parts. Just check with the dealer to make sure they will still cover you when you change your own oil.

·
Registered
5,282 Posts
I also do my own, but I stopped when I got a new Santa Fe because of the warrenty. If there are any engine issues the dealer will need proof of the oil changes, so how, other than through a dealer is one going to have this proof?

I really would like to drop the dealer for oil changes. Three times in a row they overfilled the oil by a quart and I noticed they used a much heavier oil, I don't think thats good on the oil pump.
I keep receipts or oil and filter. They would also have to prove that you did not do the changes.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
244 Posts
I believe if you show proof that you had changed your oil the warranty will still be covered. THey just want to make sure that any issue with the engine was not oil related. They may challenge you on that. But keep all your reciepts for the oil you bought and keep a log of all the changes. I had major issues with my mazda engine and I changed my oil. They covered the warranty as the issue was not oil related but defective parts. Just check with the dealer to make sure they will still cover you when you change your own oil.
Good advice, but how would it work if you resell the car? I know Hyundai allows the 100K warrenty to go to the second buyer which is a good selling point. I think doing your own oil changes would be asking for more trouble than it's worth as the dealer could make the call against honoring the warrenty. I've heard of it happening before, so why chance it ?

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
I know Hyundai allows the 100K warrenty to go to the second buyer which is a good selling point.
Not so anymore. Per Hyundai's web site: "Coverage applies to original owner only, effective with 2004 model year and newer model year vehicles. On 1999-2003 model years, coverage applies to original owner and immediate family members (i.e., wife, husband, daughter, son, stepdaughter, stepson)."
https://www.hyundaiusa.com/assurance/america-best-warranty.aspx

John

·
Registered
176 Posts
Oil changes...my .02 worth...I have changed oil on my own cars, lawn tractors, and motorcycles for a long time to no ill effect. I had the oil/filter changed on the wife's '92 Accord one time at a Jiffy Lube and they managed to round off the drain bolt head.

That said:

I will be changing the oil and filter on my new Santa Fe 2.4 using the 5w30 oil of my choice and a genuine Hyundai oil filter for as long as I own it. It appears to be dead simple to change and will be done correctly with the right amount/type of oil. I keep a running Word Pad log on all vehicles + the receipts for all vehicle maintenance items and have never had an oil related warranty problem.

·
Premium Member
2,189 Posts
...so why not just do it and learn more about your car.
I for one am not physically able to do the job which is why I'll trust the dealer over tire shops, parts stores and quick oil change places any day... well that and they gave me lifetime free oil changes when I bought my car.

·
Retired Staff
11,818 Posts
I for one am not physically able to do the job which is why I'll trust the dealer over tire shops, parts stores and quick oil change places any day... well that and they gave me lifetime free oil changes when I bought my car.
This is something I wonder why they dont all do. For the cost of a few bucks an oil change they get a lifetime service customer.

1 - 20 of 111 Posts