Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I won't mention the dealership but the dealer where I bought my car from in Connecticut wants $120 for a 7,500 Mile checkup which is basically an Oil and Filter Change as well as checking a few things. The lady I spoke to also said that Connecticut falls under the Severe category (of course it does lady :mad:) so I should bring it in at the 3,750 Mile checkup intervals. Neighborhood Mechanic, who has been serving my automobiles for over 20 years, here I come :)

·
Registered
699 Posts
You are not required to use the dealer but keep your receipts and have the required service performed. I still use the dealer but get the filter and oil change only. My dealer does a safety inspection free. Items like cabin filter and engine air filter you can do yourself. By having the dealer do the oil and filter change you get the Hyundai filer and not a cheap filter, plus the required paper work. I don't trust the cheap oil change places. Oil change at the dealer here in Florida runs about $35 with the state fees included.

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
Yep, you did the right thing. I also doubt they even do the inspections they say are on the checklist as it is under warranty. oil change,, filter that's it

Every dealer I ever knew said the same thing, we recommend the severe schedule. Just trying to perform a wallectomy on you! State that you live in does not dictate whether severe or not, type of driving, short trips etc dictate the schedule. Guarantee, if you lived in Fla they would say that it is severe due to the heat! With today's oils any oil can go 5000-7500 between changes.

You could just say oil and filter only no 7500 mile checkup. That will keep your warranty records there and should be under $30.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You could just say oil and filter only no 7500 mile checkup. That will keep your warranty records there and should be under $30.
If I did that at the Dealer then they could say I didn't do the other part of the 7,500 mile checkup like "inspecting" things for $90 more bucks. I might as well bring it to my local mechanic for the entire 7,500 Mile checkup like I did for my 2004 Toyota Camry since it was Brand New for Warranty work, and just make sure they write all of the required maintenance items per the manual on the receipt. Like you said i will keep excellent records. Go corkscrew the dealer :D I didn't like their attitude.

·
Registered
330 Posts
name the stealership!

·
Registered
3,650 Posts
My dealer seems to do the multi point inspection with the $30 oil change. They even provide the checklist. But they all hate when you tell them oil change ONLY. One time they told me to replace the cabin filter not knowing I had just done it myself the week before.

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
Not doing the inspection items will NOT void your warranty. Only required maintenance could have warranty issues, checking brake wear and other inspections have no warranty connection.

·
Registered
884 Posts
You know, you should have the dealer check the tire pressure and even fill it with gas when you run low. These are very technical items that you shouldn't attempt yourself. :eek:

·
Registered
458 Posts
Had a stealership in town try to charge the wife 650 bucks for a timing belt replacement at 60K miles on our old 2007 Sonata, It was a V6 and had timing gears, not a belt.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
All dealers try to pull these scams. I get the "coupons" in the mail all the time.

"CT is considered severe" thats a good one. They must think some people are that gullible.

·
Registered
2013 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport
2,291 Posts
"CT is considered severe" thats a good one. They must think some people are that gullible.
Yes they are. You should hear the fear they instill in customers up here because of the "brutal MN winters!"

That's how they pay for their shiny upgraded buildings and coffee machines in the customer lounges.

And that's why I only give 'em warranty work.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I will do my own oil changes and maintenance unless it is warranty work. I would love Hyundai to try to fight with me because I didn't go to the stealer for oil changes. I would gladly go to war with Hyundai and win.

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
I will do my own oil changes and maintenance unless it is warranty work. I would love Hyundai to try to fight with me because I didn't go to the stealer for oil changes. I would gladly go to war with Hyundai and win.
As long as you document all of this work then you will win that war. If not, you will join a long line of customers who found out just how picky they are when time came to utilize the 10/100K powertrain warranty.

BTW...each time you use it, you have to sign a form stating that you are the original owner. Only company I have ever dealt with that goes through that kind of trouble to validate a warranty claim.

·
Registered
3,650 Posts
They really are thieves. I was in for an oil change this morning and I overheard them telling a customer he needed wiper blades and a cabin air filter. $150 out the door. Customer declined. I caught him in the waiting room and told him they're simple DIY jobs and parts might cost around $25 or so.

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
They really are thieves. I was in for an oil change this morning and I overheard them telling a customer he needed wiper blades and a cabin air filter. $150 out the door. Customer declined. I caught him in the waiting room and told him they're simple DIY jobs and parts might cost around $25 or so.
I'd have done it for him and charged him $50.

Every day I'm hustlin, hustlin!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts