Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dealer service dept has been reminding me, harassing would be too strong a word to do the recommended service packages.

I am wondering how many 2012-2013 Accent owners have actually followed their dealer's recommendations.

Prior to this I have been only doing oil changes with one tire rotation. I finally succumbed to the 12K service package, after hitting 22K of trouble free driving.

Here is the package for 99.95

SERVICE #2
* Replace engine oil and filter
* Inspect exterior lights
* Inspect tire pressure
* Check coolant, batter, brake and washer fluid levels
* Inspect and lubricate all latches, hinges and locks
* Inspect all drive belts
* Inspect vacuum, crankcase ventilation hoses
* Inspect driveshafts and boots
* Rotate tires

Of note, they said I should change my cabin and air filters, I know I got taken here, $70 for the cabin filter(labour in) and $27 for the air filter.

They actually suggested the 24K service for $420. But I declined. I almost laughed when they quoted this price.

I am curious on the feedback of fellow Accent owners if they actually do these recommended services?

24K service:
SERVICE NUMBER #4
* Replace engine oil and filter
* Inspect exterior lights
* Inspect tire pressure
* Check coolant, battery, brake and washer fluid levels
* Inspect and lubricate all hatches, hinges and locks
* Inspect fuel lines, fuel hoses and connections
* Inspect vapor hose and fuel filter cap
* Replace air cleaner filter
* Inspect all drive belts
* Replace engine coolant
* Inspect manual transaxle oil
* Inspect brake fluid
* Inspect brake hoses and lines
* Inspect rear brake drums/linings, parking brake (or rear discs/pads)
* Inspect front brake pads, rotors
* Inspect exhaust pipes and muffler (after manifold)
* Inspect suspension mounting bolts
* Inspect steering gear box, linkage and boots/lower arm ball joint
* Inspect power steering pump and hoses
* Inspect battery terminals
* Rotate tires
* Inspect driveshafts and boots
* Inspect transfer case and rear differential fluid levels
* (AWD models only)

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Futher, my girlfriend was told for her 2011 Accent that if she did not do the recommended #2 service package from Hyundai Thornhill, it may void the car warranty.

I think this was a bogus pressure tactic, but she did hers just to be sure. Watch out for the air filter scam, I believe the air filter they replaced when her car was 10 months old was probably a standard dirty one they have under the counter that they show to customers, there was no way after 10 months of driving that it would be that dirty looking back. I recommend marking your air filter to prevent this.

My dealer is a little better, and she switched to my service dept.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
I do oil and filter at 3K miles. When the hood is up I inspect the hoses and belts as well as the battery, just look for belt tension, cracks and splits. Check the various fluids too. Look for anything not right. While under the vehicle I inspect the drive axle boots (very important), just check their condition for integrity, no cracks or splits. I rotate tires every 5K miles or so and at that time I inspect the brake calipers and pads. I also clean and inspect the cabin and air filters a couple of times between the replace intervals. Non of this takes much effort and gets the job done at little or no cost. I think most dealer services are just an overpriced oil change, although some services are probably needed. cheers.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I do oil and filter at 3K miles. When the hood is up I inspect the hoses and belts as well as the battery, just look for belt tension, cracks and splits. Check the various fluids too. Look for anything not right. While under the vehicle I inspect the drive axle boots (very important), just check their condition for integrity, no cracks or splits. I rotate tires every 5K miles or so and at that time I inspect the brake calipers and pads. I also clean and inspect the cabin and air filters a couple of times between the replace intervals. Non of this takes much effort and gets the job done at little or no cost. I think most dealer services are just an overpriced oil change, although some services are probably needed. cheers.
Thanks for the detailed reply!

·
Premium Member
2,199 Posts
Futher, my girlfriend was told for her 2011 Accent that if she did not do the recommended #2 service package from Hyundai Thornhill, it may void the car warranty.
The only service(s) you have to have done to maintain the warranty are those stated by Hyundai in your scheduled maintenance log and owner's manual. Dealer's often 'suggest' (push, lie) about other optional services to make money. Have your factory service book with you, point to it, say "Do that, nothing more."
And personally, I'd contact Hyundai corporate about any dealership who said not performing their optional, often unnecessary, services will void your warranty. Those kind of tactics should be an immediate firing for any service writer.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Wow 99 dollars for essentially an expensive oil change and tire rotation....I get my car serviced at Firestone complete auto care and they do all the inspections as a free courtesy. Don't let the dealer force the recommended services on you. Your warranty will be completely safe as long as you do the required service that's in the manual....

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
I pay through the nose to have the dealer do it... For that I get a fancy colored status report signed my a 'Hyundai technician' (AKA grease monkey) :) It shows that everything that needed to be done was inspected, rotated, changed or whatever. Plus they wash the car 'at no extra cost'... And they really do a good job cleaning it.

I keep the reports in a folder along with my original window sticker, the original Accent sales brochure and other documents that came with the car when it was new. I figure it might help me sell it faster whenever I decide to part with it.

I could do the work myself or pay Honest Ernie's Garage to do it for a few bucks more, but in the big picture, I can afford it and spread out over a year, the cost isn't really that big a layout..

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Maybe you also get a free IPhone for those prices.

·
Registered
140 Posts
The only time my Stealership will see me again is if I have major mechanical problems with my Accent. They are ripping you off. Keep your oil changed according to the maintenance schedule and you'll be fine. If you change your own oil keep your receipts and write the mileage down on them. I do 5K oil changes because my service manager recommended it and he stated to do 5K because it is easier to remember vs 3K. I'm using full synthetic oil and Hyundai oil filters. Just my two cents.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Can you say "rip-off?" Dealer packs are profit centers. You don't need them. Just follow the manual for the periodic check-ups, oil changes and the like.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I pay through the nose to have the dealer do it... For that I get a fancy colored status report signed my a 'Hyundai technician' (AKA grease monkey) :) It shows that everything that needed to be done was inspected, rotated, changed or whatever. Plus they wash the car 'at no extra cost'... And they really do a good job cleaning it.

I keep the reports in a folder along with my original window sticker, the original Accent sales brochure and other documents that came with the car when it was new. I figure it might help me sell it faster whenever I decide to part with it.

I could do the work myself or pay Honest Ernie's Garage to do it for a few bucks more, but in the big picture, I can afford it and spread out over a year, the cost isn't really that big a layout..
They gave me a complimentary carwash also, I guess it is peace of mind when you have the dealer do it.

They gave me the ok sign, 75% brake lining left. Everything was fine. To me it was more of check before heading out on a long drive. 15 months is a long time to me, I do feel better about it. But I hear people 100 bucks and 90 dollars for air filters esp is excessive.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The only service(s) you have to have done to maintain the warranty are those stated by Hyundai in your scheduled maintenance log and owner's manual. Dealer's often 'suggest' (push, lie) about other optional services to make money. Have your factory service book with you, point to it, say "Do that, nothing more."
And personally, I'd contact Hyundai corporate about any dealership who said not performing their optional, often unnecessary, services will void your warranty. Those kind of tactics should be an immediate firing for any service writer.
Yep, this is why I have no problem outing it was Thornhill Hyundai in Toronto.

Since then, my GF has changed service depts. Always thought the warranty stuff was a pressure tactic. Hopefully, others will learn of this from this thread.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Does anyone know what has to be done with every oil change to make sure we do not void our warranty? Also, why is the oil change mileage higher on U S cars?

·
Registered
940 Posts
what has to be done with every oil change to make sure we do not void our warranty?
Keep receipts for your oil and filter purchase? Use Hyundai oil filters so they can't claim you used a poorly-made filter (many aftermarket filters aren't very good). Keep a log of your oil changes, date/mileage. Note which oil/filter you used (i.e., date of purchase so you can cross-reference a change to the receipt for supplies).

Also, why is the oil change mileage higher on U S cars?
I didn't know it was. A couple things come to mind:

1. Colder northern climate leads to greater condensation in the crankcase. More risk of sludge.

2. US automakers/importers may be under environmental pressure to be more green. It wouldn't surprise me of a car's lubrication efficiency isn't part of that equation (if a broad measurement exists).

That's why I don't trust the longer oil-change intervals of newer cars. I've got a feeling it's a "talking point" to make it sound like new cars pollute less.

OTOH: I'd be surprised such pressures wouldn't exist even more in Canada. I think you guys are more environmentally sensitive than us. So, maybe I'm wrong on #2.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Found this also in Canadian cars, recommended oil change every 6000KM or 3728 miles. Notice it is higher for the USA

·
Registered
132 Posts
if i do my 12 000 km oil change at the dealer, what is the minimum amount of service that i need to have done to keep my warranty good. i.e. do i have to have them check hoses, rotate tires, check coolant, ect. or will just the oil change keep the warranty good?

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
All you have to do to keep your warranty intact, is to follow the minimum maintenance that is in the owners manual. The info is all there. If the service dept. says otherwise, whip out your manual and say, "show me where it says that in the maintenance schedule".

1 - 18 of 18 Posts