Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Santa Fe Limited AWD, Stormy Sea
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took my Santa Fe Limited in for the first "complimentary" service at 6,000 miles. This is how it went...

First, the advisor told me that the service interval is, indeed, 8,000 miles on the turbo, even though two people in the service department and one in sales had previously told me that they would do the turbos at 6,000 miles. It didn't really matter, because I was at the one year mark anyway, but it's kind of annoying to get different answers from different people. Not even sure why he felt the need to mention it since I was at one year.

I brought up my misaligned door card issue again with them and they took some photos to send to Hyundai to ask what they should do. I am not sure why this is so complicated. The window tinters, who the dealer contracted to tint the windows, did something that bent the cards out at the front upper corners. I have photos and video to prove it. It's probably something I can fix (I am actually quite certain), but I don't feel like I should have to. It is between the dealer and the tint people they use. Anyway, he said I should hear back within a couple weeks. Not getting my hopes up, since I have been working on this for about 8 months already.

Now, about the oil change itself. What a mess. While changing the oil, they started the engine before putting the oil cap back on. Then they never even said anything. The car was fully detailed just the day before, so I noticed right away that there was some oil on the front fender, but I didn't think too much of it at the time and I was in a bit of a hurry to beat traffic. I just figured they spilled a little and wiped it up. Annoying, but not the end of the world. But then as I was driving home, I realized that the spots and smears on the windshield were not from the little bit of rain we got, but were also oil. And with the engine getting hotter, I could smell it a little bit. When I got home, I looked more closely and discovered that there was oil even up on the roof and the other fender, grill, underside of hood, firewall, engine cover, radiator support covers, etc. Ugh! Looked at my dashcam footage and sure enough, you can see the oil splattering on the window and the cap is sitting on the radiator support cover. Unfortunately, my cam doesn't run while engine is off, so not sure which tech forgot to put the cap on, but at some point one tech is looking over and laughing and another one is wiping up (but not doing a good job) the mess from the other side. Then I see two techs and the service manager. The manager appears to be chewing out one of them, but it's hard to tell for sure. Anyway, in the end, I am not so much upset that it happened as I am that they didn't even so much as apologize for it. Did they really think someone like me with a perfectly detailed car that looks better than when I bought it would not notice? So, with that said, I have not said anything to them yet. I think I'm going to wait and see what the answer is on the door cards first. If they approve some sort of fix and will take care of those then I will probably let this slide, though I don't think I will let them change the oil again. I had everything here that I needed to clean it up and it took about half an hour.

More about the oil change. The window sticker says they used 0W-30, but the invoice says they used conventional 5W-30. I really don't see the point in asking about this, because I don't trust them to give me an honest answer. Heck, they may not even know WTF they used. I am doing in betweeny changes anyway, so it won't be in there long.

With the oil change, I also asked them to rotate the tires. They did not. They said they did not need to be rotated and the vehicle report indicates that the rear tires are more worn than the front. I have not yet verified this, but I honestly don't see how that can be. The fronts do most of the work, PLUS one of the rear tires only has about 2,000 miles on it. I am suspicious and it makes me think they just wanted to get me out the door as fast as they could.

So, that's where I am at. I love my car and the buying experience at this dealership was better than other dealerships I have dealt with, but the service department has been problematic so far. I will send my gripes to the dealer manager once I get everything in order.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
More about the oil change. The window sticker says they used 0W-30, but the invoice says they used conventional 5W-30. I really don't see the point in asking about this, because I don't trust them to give me an honest answer. Heck, they may not even know WTF they used.
Good grief! that's the kind of service that would make anyone Cringe," i would'nt of put up with that nonsense. i mean this is your Personal Property there messing with, to forget to put back the Oil Cap wich lead to a oil'y mess everywhere? that You had to clean up from them,? & put a sticker on the window that say's one thing then to write on a legal document dealer invoice something different.? wow!... really sounds like theres incompetent people working at this dealer laking basic skills.! i would find another Dealer or better Yet start doing O.C.I."s on your own to avoid issues. or worse.

·
Registered
2021 Stormy Sea Santa Fe Calligraphy 2.5L Turbo 8DCT HTRAC 20" wheels
1,856 Posts
Your experience is exactly why I will refuse to let the dealer do any service on the car unless it is a warranty item. IMHO, the complimentary service is absolutely not worth it if they do a shitty and careless job, use the wrong material (oil) and lie about it, you even have a video of them starting the engine without the cap on! And BTW, every year, regardless, a free tire rotation is included. They not doing it is in violation of the free maintenance policy.

I will do myself. or pay a trusted shop that will allow me to look while they service the car, and document all the required service. At least I know that the parts and material I want to be used are used. Free means nothing if it costs you a ton of money in the long run.

That is said that I have not even taken it to my local dealer for even it's first service as I'd rather not roll the dice as they seem to be stacked against the owners. I would take the video (a copy) to the dealership, show it to them, tell them you will be forwarding it to Hyundai Corporate and also your local 4 or 6 On Your Side for airing and demand a documented oil and new fresh filter change under your supervision and also the required tire rotation.

They tend to get a little squeamish when there is video documentation that can be put on YouTube (under the dealers hashtag) and on TV.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Sounds like the 3 Stooges run the service department. I'd run somewhere else! I thought they had retired. Now I know where they went.
My thoughts
Bill
Your experience is exactly why I will refuse to let the dealer do any service on the car unless it is a warranty item. IMHO, the complimentary service is absolutely not worth it if they do a shitty and careless job, use the wrong material (oil) and lie about it, you even have a video of them starting the engine without the cap on! And BTW, every year, regardless, a free tire rotation is included. They not doing it is in violation of the free maintenance policy.

I will do myself. or pay a trusted shop that will allow me to look while they service the car, and document all the required service. At least I know that the parts and material I want to be used are used. Free means nothing if it costs you a ton of money in the long run.

That is said that I have not even taken it to my local dealer for even it's first service as I'd rather not roll the dice as they seem to be stacked against the owners. I would take the video (a copy) to the dealership, show it to them, tell them you will be forwarding it to Hyundai Corporate and also your local 4 or 6 On Your Side for airing and demand a documented oil and new fresh filter change under your supervision and also the required tire rotation.

They tend to get a little squeamish when there is video documentation that can be put on YouTube (under the dealers hashtag) and on TV.
Well said,
I still dont understand how trained dealer tech's can screw up a complimentary customer Oil change?? that's the kind of story you hear from rookie iffy lubes and to not even appologize,? that's insulting to say the least.

·
Registered
150 Posts
at my latest oil change the person didn't push the dip stick down and oil was spurting out during my 20 mile trip home ... I didn't notice it until it drained onto the garage floor. I sent pictures to the dealership showing the position of the dip stick and the oil mess in my garage. They had me make another trip out, said the oil level was ok and promised to arrange for someone to come over and clean up the mess in the garage .... and as you might guess, that never happened.

·
Registered
2020 Santa Fe Limited 2.0T Awd
1,516 Posts
Unfortunately, Hyundai's customer service and dealer service departments suck. Good service departments are few and far between. I feel that they are also crippled and slowed down by having to go back and forth and get permission from Hyundai.

When you get your survey, be sure to note everything you said on the survey. Hyundai's customer satisfaction numbers are starting to trend downward. If you give them a bad score on the official Hyundai survey, the dealership usually reaches out to try and resolve your issue.

·
Registered
2017 Sonata Limited 2.4L w/Tech & Ult Pkg's
477 Posts
It really depends on the dealer. I've been dealing with the same dealer for the last 6 years, met the service mgr, know all 4 advisors, met couple of mechanics. And once or twice they didn't do something right and I pointed out that, they took care of it as soon as I was available. All the Hyundais we got so far, we got from the same salesperson at the same dealer as well. I know things can change and that will suck but until then I will keep going to them. I also have a trusted mechanic for things that he does for less than the dealership :).

·
Registered
336 Posts
mistakes could also happen if you have intoxicated employees.? years ago i went to this one shop to get a repair done while waiting i took a walk and right out back of the shop there were to mechanics smoki'n up weed from what i could tell. it got me concerned enough that there after i pulled one of the managers aside and told him what i seen out back. i think there after they were fired on the spot!

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
mistakes could also happen if you have intoxicated employees.? years ago i went to this one shop to get a repair done while waiting i took a walk and right out back of the shop there were to mechanics smoki'n up weed from what i could tell. it got me concerned enough that there after i pulled one of the managers aside and told him what i seen out back. i think there after they were fired on the spot!
You did the right thing.! Selfish People that bring in substances to there work place have bigger issues going on with them there called addicts." not only are they puting themselves at risk but others as well. i cant stand that. we should have mandatory drug/alchol testing at every work place if you ask me.

·
Registered
2019 Santa Fe Ultimate 2.4 L
385 Posts
I think your being to nice. If they can blow you off, they will it seems. Why no one touches anything with an engine/motor that I own. Warranty only.
Their is a shortage of mechanically inclined people, the younger generation work with computers. My sons a mechanic, his employer has been trying to hire mechanics for a long time, before Covid. Many have come and gone.
The truck forum I belong to had a thread about a dealer that dropped his $80k truck off a lift. He ended up getting a lawyer.

Reactions: ChuckH0308

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Well I would have to refute your notion of the younger generation. I am a millenial that is very mechanically inclined. Many of my colleagues are also millenials that are engineers that design and build the vehicles we drive (also mechanically inclined). We don't only work with computers ;)....even though working with computers is pretty much required now....especially with the move to electric vehicles.

There is a shortage of good mechanics I'd say mainly due to large corps. The manufacturers have essentially turned the mechanics into parts replacers. A lot of troubleshooting and fixing issues has gone out the window because.....companies don't want to pay people to troubleshoot properly. Sometimes companies also stiff the mechanics by placing labor caps on some jobs that actually take longer than the cap allows (esentially underpaying the mechanic for the job). You also have to throw corporate and capitalistic greed in there as well...

·
Registered
385 Posts
Ok Fish, I made a general statement. You admit there is a shortage of mechanics. Thats my point.

Reactions: FishRamLion

·
Registered
2022 Sonata Limited
28 Posts
I took my 2021 Santa Fe in Friday the 15th for it's 6,000 mile first service. Not a good experience. They did the oil change, Filter, and rotate tires. Car was ready in about 30 minutes. So far so good. Got in car drove over by a new Ionic 5 to show to my wife, the car bucked once when we headed out of the parking lot. I did not think much about it. We got out on the street and made it about 300 feet down the road and the car quit. A possible condition with your Engine Control System has been detected with your 2021 SANTA FE, A full system check is recommended to be done when convenient. Well that didn't have to wait till it was convenient as the car would not run after that. The service mgr came over to check out the car and tried to start it. It would not roll over (not a good sign). Had to use blue-link to call for road side assistance and tow back to the dealership. Well they said the engine had seized and gave me a loaner car. Wont know till the first of next week how long it will take to repair. No signs of oil spilled or leaking out on to the windshield but I think that would have been a better thing to happen.

·
Registered
2020 Santa Fe Limited 2.4L
311 Posts
There is a lot of confusion about the oil change interval. My 2020 Limited (2.4 non-turbo) manual says 7,500 mile intervals. However, my instrument cluster display came on a couple weeks ago indicating maintenance due with only 5K miles and 8 months since last change. The dealer put a sticker on the windshiels indicating next oil change due at 12K miles which is only 4500 miles since last change. I know they probably do that to get you in to pay for the additional service but sure doesn't help with the confusion. Since I am still under Hyundai Complimentary Service I don't really want to climb under at my age and do a change like I used to do every 5K miles on past vehicles.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Forgot to put oil in it?

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
I took my 2021 Santa Fe in Friday the 15th for it's 6,000 mile first service. Not a good experience. They did the oil change, Filter, and rotate tires. Car was ready in about 30 minutes. So far so good. Got in car drove over by a new Ionic 5 to show to my wife, the car bucked once when we headed out of the parking lot. I did not think much about it. We got out on the street and made it about 300 feet down the road and the car quit. A possible condition with your Engine Control System has been detected with your 2021 SANTA FE, A full system check is recommended to be done when convenient. Well that didn't have to wait till it was convenient as the car would not run after that. The service mgr came over to check out the car and tried to start it. It would not roll over (not a good sign). Had to use blue-link to call for road side assistance and tow back to the dealership. Well they said the engine had seized and gave me a loaner car. Wont know till the first of next week how long it will take to repair. No signs of oil spilled or leaking out on to the windshield but I think that would have been a better thing to happen.
The engine seized? o_O
Did they forget to put oil back after draining it?
Did you check the oil before leaving the dealership?

This also happened to my brother's truck. Went in for an oil change. They forgot to put in oil. Engine seized, and they had to replace the engine.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts