Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dealer says "aftermarket/non-Hyundai oil filters don’t allow proper oil pressure/flow

Talking to my dealer who wants to charge $78 for a synthetic oil change. Can someone please confirm his oil filter statement below?

He says:

Dealer: Did you want us to provide you with a Hyundai oil filter?

Me: Does it make a difference vs a local filter?

Dealer: It does. We’ve seen where aftermarket/non-Hyundai oil filters don’t allow proper oil pressure & flow. This is even more important with your vehicle being that it is a turbo engine

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Mobil-1 5/30 at Wal-Mart usually $25? for 5qt bottle.

Use Hyundai-Kia filter -- Hyundai TSB in regard to aftermarket filters

$78 for oill change ??

·
Registered
589 Posts
Talking to my dealer who wants to charge $78 for a synthetic oil change. Can someone please confirm his oil filter statement below?

He says:

Dealer: Did you want us to provide you with a Hyundai oil filter?

Me: Does it make a difference vs a local filter?

Dealer: It does. We’ve seen where aftermarket/non-Hyundai oil filters don’t allow proper oil pressure & flow. This is even more important with your vehicle being that it is a turbo engine
I call bs...

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mobil-1 5/30 at Wal-Mart usually $25? for 5qt bottle.

Use Hyundai-Kia filter -- Hyundai TSB in regard to aftermarket filters

$78 for oill change ??
yea $78

"For the oil change, did you want us to do synthetic ($78) or conventional ($42)?"

·
Registered
2013 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport
2,291 Posts
[/FONT][/COLOR]
Not that I want to defend the stealership but yes, this is true. You will starve your engine of oil with non-OEM filters.

But the most important thing---why are you going to the dealer for a synthetic change? You could do it yourself (with the OEM filter and Mobil 1) for about 40 and take your family to Applebee's with the leftover $38.

And just a precaution...check your oil PRIOR to leaving the dealership. I'd do it right in the service bay if possible. Techs (read: High School Kids) at some of the dealerships don't set their dispensing gun for the proper amount of oil. And I mean it can be off by as much as 3/4 of a quart.

·
Registered
4,471 Posts
There are issues with knocking with non-OEM filters. I experienced this with a M1 filter and was advised to go back to OEM. Problem went away and I never looked back.

Meijer has jugs of 5-20 for around 23 bucks plus filter and I am still under 30 for an oil change.

·
Registered
2013 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport
2,291 Posts
I've been having excellent luck with Penzoil Synthetic 5W-20 (its in the copper bottle). Usually its about $24 bucks at Wally World, but they have a 5 dollar coupon on the 5 quart jug. So I can stay under 25 bucks since I bought a bunch of OEM filters on eBay for about $5/filter.

Probably going to go to their high mileage synthetic after 80,000.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
...But the most important thing---why are you going to the dealer for a synthetic change? ...
They are fixing several defects on the car for free, the dealer just happened to offer the oil change, which I declined.

·
Registered
729 Posts
The oil filter statement is correct. I have experienced it myself and you can do a search on this forum. There are many threads about this. There are a couple of after market filters that do work correctly but I can't remember them right now. Either way, I get OEM filters from my dealer for $4.64 each. Makes it easy that my wife's Elantra uses the same size. So I buy them 10 at a time.

·
Registered
884 Posts
From what I've read on this forum, the Hyundai filter has a valve of sorts in it that prevents backflow, something like that. I bought a 10 pack of these online and I do synthetic changes myself.

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
The oil filter statement is correct. I have experienced it myself and you can do a search on this forum. There are many threads about this. There are a couple of after market filters that do work correctly but I can't remember them right now. Either way, I get OEM filters from my dealer for $4.64 each. Makes it easy that my wife's Elantra uses the same size. So I buy them 10 at a time.
When I first bought my 2011, I used K&N HP-1004 oil filters and didn't seem to have any noise issue. Once the concern about non-Hyundai filters made it into the forums, I switched back to OEM Hyundai. I've used them ever since, and all had been good.

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
Maybe its time for me to cut open some more filters...

·
Banned
1,090 Posts
While the type of oil and time in which people change them is an epic battle of opinions, the use of OEM oil filters seems to the best out there in the case of the YF Sonata.

·
Registered
4,471 Posts
Maybe its time for me to cut open some more filters...
Maybe but since the OEM seems to keep the engine from knocking, its not something I am going to mess with. They are middle of the road priced and last tear apart showed very close if not dead on construction wise with M1 filters. Media we will never really know;.

While the type of oil and time in which people change them is an epic battle of opinions, the use of OEM oil filters seems to the best out there in the case of the YF Sonata.
Yup. I am a oil fanatic but have only been using OEM filters since I heard that knock and have not looked back.

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
I still have pics of a WIX filter and the new purolator synthetic filter i need to upload

·
Registered
3,650 Posts
I bet WIX is same quality as OEM. But for $29.99, I just keep going back to the dealer for conventional oil change. With the 100k PT warranty, I have no reason to use synthetic at a significantly higher cost.

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
Standard wix filter, not the top of the line one.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Personally I would just go and replace the factory filter with another one. Some filters I wouldn't consider but the Wix brand and others work just fine. My thinking goes along with the design of the oil filter gasket which on some filters can come loose and not come off with the filter which can lead to a serious oil loss and engine damage.

At my dealership, the oil and filter change is $24.95 plus tax. I don't get the high cost involved. I'd shop around. That sounds ridiculous.

Personally, I think synthetic oil is a waste of money with very little, if any benefit unless required for the turbo engines. That still seems terribly high though @$75 per oil change.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts