Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey I've recently had a thought occur to me. I've heard of these trackers being installed cars. I own my cars outright and would like these removed, if they exist. From what I can tell, it doesn't look like anything is installed but I did get a Lojack folder with my car when I purchased it. Thought maybe someone knows where these are typically installed and if you've had them installed in some sneaky spots. I appreciate your recommendations and thoughts. Thank you!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Unless it is one of those pay at dealer lots or the financial institution wants one installed, why would a dealer install a tracking device?

I would say were we used to install them with a court order; however, we needed extremely easy and fast access (usually) a dealer could install a tracker almost any place inside or outside the vehicle. They have the access and time. But again, I ask why?

There are places that can search for an active device; however, if a passive device that only signals when moving, it is a lot harder. Just find a place that sells GPS trackers, and they usually have a device to locate. They may want proof you own the vehicle so a clear title should suffice. Then again, they may not do a search in case it was installed by LE with a court order.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
They usually install them under the driver's dash near the OBD port and/or fuse panel. Look for non-factory splices, and electrical tape sloppily wrapped around wires. Some are quite elaborate and not only do they track you, but the dealer can send a signal to it causing the car to be disabled.

I think if a dealer installs one, they're bound to tell you. As mentioned above, they usually go in cars where the buyer has a less than stellar credit rating. But, if that person sells the car, then you have to trust them to inform you that there is a tracker in place.

I have a Jeep Wrangler and follow a forum dedicated to Wranglers.. Occasionally one of the guys on the forum will come across one under their dash and ask "what the heck is this"?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Not sure where the OP lives; however, in the USA, unless you own the vehicle or if the person (company) installing has a legal reason such as a lien on the vehicle it is illegal. Some companies place trackers on their vehicles and track their employees. legal since the company actually owns the vehicle In some cases, an entity that owns the vehicle will place trackers for protection of the employees using the vehicles.

If you have paid for the vehicle and it is your with no liens and you are over 18 and the tracker is not installed by your parents....if you run across a tracker, get yourself an attorney and make some money.

I have paid case for all my vehicles for the past thirty years, if I ever came across a tracker, my first call would be a particular Federal Agency and if it was a civil matter (dealer, etc.) then my second call would be an attorney.

But there are some states that have their own laws in regarding trackers and as for other countries. I have no idea.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts