Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my last oil change service the dealer recommended over $900 in services. Also the quotes seem too high so wondering if I should price out what is really needed at a local shop that I can use.

2013 2.0T, 51,000 miles.

Transmission Fluid Service - $289.99
Brake Fluid Flush - $129.95
Coolant Fluid Service - $89.95
Spark Plugs - $179.99
Fuel Induction Service - $189.95
PVC Replacement - $59.95

I've been following this forum since I bought my car. I trust the advice that users give so I am asking what if any of these dealer recommended services are really necessary for me to consider. I use Techron every other oil change so I think that Fuel Induction Service is not necessary but not sure if other items are required to do.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Transmission usually 40-60K so possibly with a flush

Brake fluid is usually completely sealed and never needs to be changed unless a leak in the system (hydrophilic: so needs a seal from water) unless you are super heavy on your brakes like in racing..pass

Coolant when cloudy discolored or every two years. (replace with 5-year coolant for safety margin then extend to three years)

Spark Plugs its time (over 45K and Turbo)

Fuel induction service ...no way maybe just for fun after a long while like with a major tune-up after 100K

PVC valve: Is it stuck? if not no

Dealers this is their cash cow.

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
On my last oil change service the dealer recommended over $900 in services. Also the quotes seem too high so wondering if I should price out what is really needed at a local shop that I can use.

2013 2.0T, 51,000 miles.

Transmission Fluid Service - $289.99 Yes but slightly overpriced

Brake Fluid Flush - $129.95 No

Coolant Fluid Service - $89.95 5 years so yeas and a good price, this would be a drain and fill not a flush at that price

Spark Plugs - $179.99 Overpriced and consider doing it yourself

Fuel Induction Service - $189.95 Don't waste your money

PVC Replacement - $59.95 No, not needed

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Just wanted to say thanks for the replies it helped.

To person that said $289.99 is overpriced for Transmission Fluid Service what is a fair price for a service that includes a flush. I have a shop that I have used for some things that I did not feel I needed to do at the dealer so it would help to know what a fair price should be when I get a quote from them.

·
Registered
13,349 Posts

2013 2.0T, 51,000 miles.

Spark Plugs - $179.99
PVC Replacement - $59.95

I've been following this forum since I bought my car. I trust the advice that users give so I am asking what if any of these dealer recommended services are really necessary for me to consider. I use Techron every other oil change so I think that Fuel Induction Service is not necessary but not sure if other items are required to do.

Are you the dude with Haddad as a home dealer?

MOVE!

First, let me say I never flush a transmission. I used to work for a UCD in NoHo and we sent a couple cars for a flush. After the second time the guy who took the cars for a flush called and said, "Said the car carrier" we stopped doing flushes and just did drain and fills.

If the car has <80,000 miles, a drain and fill will work just fine. Ask the dealer just for a drain and fill, and do it every 40-50,000 miles after the first.

Country in NoHo did a D&F for $150. A bit for a D&F, but I didn't have to deal with crawling under the car, getting ATF running down my arms, and the general mess involved with the whole thing. I think it included an oil change as well, and used genuine Mitsubishi (Hyundai spec) ATF. You don't want anything else.

My Corolla GTS <===== kept breaking down at the Pittsfield end of Rt 9, and Haddad charges at least 50% more than other dealers, since they have you by the bal...er...scruff of the neck up there. Take a ride to Noho, take a walk down the street to the Chinese/Japanese restaurant, have lunch and one of those one-two knockout Polynesian cocktails, and save a ton of cash! ;)

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
As with all things you will find varying opinions.....

2013 2.0T, 51,000 miles.

My general feeling...Unless the maintenance schedule calls for it to maintain warranty coverage...If it isn't broken leave it alone. Some of the passages in the transmission valve body are so small dislodging debris with a flush can cause a problem down the road.

Brake fluid can absorb moisture simply through normal use of the vehicle. If you are going to keep the vehicle until it dies....Might be worth doing to avoid potential issues down the road. If not keeping it until death do you part, then pass

If the owner's manual calls for it then yes. If not (If this is ten year coolant from the factory, then no. ONE EXCEPTION.....If you know that the system was run low for a time, then change it. Some of the long life systems do not like having air in the system. It can cause the coolant to degrade prematurely.

Spark Plugs - $179.99

If the owner's manual calls for it, then yes. Seems pricey but I have never changed them myself so not sure what is involved.

PVC Replacement - $59.95

Might not be a bad idea, but can you do it yourself for the cost of the part? I say might be a good idea because on some engines (Not necessarily Hyundai) if the PCV system fails / becomes blocked it can lead to larger problems.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts