Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I think that my sonata is not certified like the dealer said it was. I bought the car at a hyundai dealership and told me it was certified. I was given a pre-owned certified check list but missing a cpo manager signature. I call Hyundai corporate and was given a case number. They told me the car is not certified and would call the dealer to find out more info on my car. Corporate calls me telling me that the dealer in fact is stating the car is certified and are doing the paper work necessary to make it certified and then give it to corporate. Corporate is telling me that they will leave the case open untill its certified. My contract say used and not certified. I really think that my car in not cpo and will not get it to be cpo. All i have is a check list and corporate having notes saying the dealer sold it as cpo. Can I return the car if not cpo. What can I do. They are supoose call me this coming week. The dealership I bought it from was really shady. I wish walk away and did a couple times, but got me at the end.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
warranty is a bit different for CPO cars vs. non-CPO's.

also, a CPO car can't have significant previous damage, where as a NON-CPO could have been totaled, i.e. - a hurricane sandy car, resold as 'like new'.

big difference in the history of the two cars.

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
.....Does it really matter?

It's a piece of paper, right?

That certainly won't affect the value when you try to trade/sell the car down the road...

So why is it so important? o_O?
CPO has the factory 10yr/100k powertrain warranty, non-CPO doesn't, just the 5/60 bumper to bumper. If the OP plans to keep the car past 60k miles it can make a big difference.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Also, nowadays CPO cars actually will bring more than non CPO...did to the extensive service records, there is a category for certified cars.

·
Registered
2013 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport
2,291 Posts
So I think that my sonata is not certified like the dealer said it was. I bought the car at a hyundai dealership and told me it was certified. I was given a pre-owned certified check list but missing a cpo manager signature. I call Hyundai corporate and was given a case number. They told me the car is not certified and would call the dealer to find out more info on my car. Corporate calls me telling me that the dealer in fact is stating the car is certified and are doing the paper work necessary to make it certified and then give it to corporate. Corporate is telling me that they will leave the case open untill its certified. My contract say used and not certified. I really think that my car in not cpo and will not get it to be cpo. All i have is a check list and corporate having notes saying the dealer sold it as cpo. Can I return the car if not cpo. What can I do. They are supoose call me this coming week. The dealership I bought it from was really shady. I wish walk away and did a couple times, but got me at the end.
Time to lawyer up. Maybe Hyundai Corp will come through for you but this is really between you and the dealer. They lied, hence that is a case for fraud.

·
Registered
330 Posts
I agree with the lawyer thing but if you signed saying the car was used versus CPO then you may be out of luck. Legal docs sucks when you sign them, there isn't a court that will listen to you.

I'd first start with the used car manager then if you get nowhere then the GM then the dealership owners. If all fails start a smear campaign to attempt to hit their bottom line profits. There are plenty of other good Hyundai dealerships. There are several reasons they are called stealerships.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Most of the comments before are good and its also good that you're keeping an eye out for that because it is very important. It takes some time for the CPO process to go from start to finish depending on how much time that particular car has been on the lot. Sometimes dealers wait untill the car is sold to even submit. Certificates arrive in the mail about a month later and the contract doesn't have to say CPO used but you should have been presented with an option to expand your 5/60 warranty to 10/100 when you bought it and given a CPO form signed and had you sign as well. Go back and have them sign it. Most importantly, call any service dept with your VIN ready and have them run it through as a random warranty coverage inquiry and they will be able to tell you if Hyundai has it registered as CPO, they're the ones that are going to ultimately handle your warranty concerns. Write down names, dates, times, and keep on both the dealer and Hyundai to make sure you don't get screwed. I hate dealing with stuff like this and with lawyers, hope you don't have to, good luck!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm going to wait a week. The good thing is that Hyundai corp has notes saying that the dealership said its cpo. I did call the dealer and told me that it takes between 30 to 90 days. I think thats to long. It just that the dealer I went to is shady and don't trust them at all.

·
Registered
141 Posts
"I agree with the lawyer thing but if you signed saying the car was used versus CPO then you may be out of luck. Legal docs sucks when you sign them, there isn't a court that will listen to you."

That's a likely outcome if dealer had consistently taken position that buyer must have misunderstood, the written sales documents control, etc., but in this case the dealer has made so many admissions against interest after the transaction, not the least of which are statements to Hyundai for which a record exists, that in the event dealer attempted to change course now, it would get trounced in court, slapped with legal expenses and possibly punitive damages for fraud.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts