Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks!

I just signed the papers to buy a new 2014 Elantra GT in Monaco White. Can't wait for it to arrive!

As an incentive the dealer offered to tint the windows. According to the dealer, most people choose 20%, so I went with that option.

While I wait for the vehicle to arrive I've been looking around and I saw tons of pictures posted on this site and elsewhere. Some 30% tints look like 20%, some 20% look like 30%, etc. Clearly, the type of tint and product used makes a big difference.

My question is ... does anyone know what sort of tint the dealers apply so I can get a better idea of what to expect? I still have time to change the tint percentage (the vehicle will only be here early next week).

Also, if I absolutely hate the tint, can it be removed so I can get it tinted again somewhere else (at my own cost of course)?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2013 Sonata SE
248 Posts
i don't think dealers use good tint...they probably use the cheapest stuff around and they probably do a crappy job.

save your self more money in the long run, tell them not to do it, and find a good tint place locally that will do the % you want. yes it'll cost more than the dealer BUT if you get it tinted at the dealer and then decide to have it removed and re-done somewhere else, you're gonna end up probably paying DOUBLE at another shop. all tint shops charge to remove any existing tint, and then you have to pay for the new tint job...

i had a 94 accord that when i bought the car had tint on it...after a year of having it, the tint started to fade, bubble and some areas were turning purple...the cheapest quote i got to remove all that tint and re-tint it at 25% with a front windshield strip was $430.

hope that all helps in your decision

·
Registered
6,733 Posts
Check your local laws, ask to see other vehicles the dealer has tinted, ask if they will warranty the tint job.

Most dealers will not do their own tint. They farm it out to an independent shop who gives them a discount b/c of the volume they do.

20% is a good option if it is legal in your area - not easy to see into, not really bad at night to see out of.

Type and product has little effect on the darkness. 20% tint will look darker on a white car than a dark one due to the contrast. Higher quality product has better heat and scratch resistance, but not color.

They will be applying the cheapest option - dyed vinyl, not ceramic tint - but that might be fine for what you need.

It can be removed, but it is expensive, and can be tricky to do without damaging the rear defroster grid. OTOH, the tint itself tends to protect the rear defrost grid.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
Had my sedan tinted by the dealer and regretted it. Both GT's were tinted by my tint guy I've use on many other cars. You can tell the difference in the film he uses immediately, and he was 40 bucks less.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts