Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I puchased my GLS I purchased a Karr Alarm. After reading my owner's manual it seems that an alarm is standard on all models. At least there is nothing that says "If Equipped" in the alarm section which usually means it is standard on all models.

Can anyone else who also purchased a dealer installed alarm tell me what we got by purchasing an alarm over what was there from the factory or did we get jipped and paid for something that was already there?

My alarm has the Valet button for the alarm under the steering column and that switch is not mentioned in the owner's manual. Maybe I paid hundreds of dollars for a button.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Depends on what the dealer installed. If you just wanted a basic alarm that goes off when someone breaks into the car than the factory would have been just fine. If you wanted more protection like extra shock sensors or tilt detection then you would have had to get a aftermarket alarm. Now if the dealer installed a basic aftermarket alarm than they screwed you for sure. If their setup has all the extra protection then it could be worth it if that's what you wanted in the first place.

But yes the Sonata has a basic alarm built into all models.

·
SENIOR MODERATOR
9,284 Posts
The stock Hyundai alarm won't go off if the perpetrator simply breaks a window and shimmies in that way, mainly because there isn't a glass breakage sensor. However if any of the doors, trunk, or hood are forced open, the horn will sound repeatedly. It will also go off if somebody breaks the window, reaches in, unlocks the car from inside and opens the door that way.

·
Hyundai-Forums.com Vendor
369 Posts
Unless the GLS doesn't come with a stock alarm? Did you have stock keyless entry? What everyone said is true, although the more sensors you have the more false alarms are possible.

They don't call them stealerships for nothing.

·
Registered
7 Posts
QUOTE (P Haggard @ Oct 4 2010, 12:28 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=360795
When I puchased my GLS I purchased a Karr Alarm. After reading my owner's manual it seems that an alarm is standard on all models. At least there is nothing that says "If Equipped" in the alarm section which usually means it is standard on all models.

Can anyone else who also purchased a dealer installed alarm tell me what we got by purchasing an alarm over what was there from the factory or did we get jipped and paid for something that was already there?

My alarm has the Valet button for the alarm under the steering column and that switch is not mentioned in the owner's manual. Maybe I paid hundreds of dollars for a button.

Yes your right the 2011 sonata come standard with the factory alarm system.
Im pretty sure even earlier model years have the alarm as standard as well.
In my opinion the dealer installed/aftermarket alarm came be a waste of money they just add a couple extra sensors (which usually cause false alarms)

The factory system is pretty well equipped. when the system is armed it monitors all vehicle doors, trunk and hood.. if any of them are unlocked or forced open the system will trigger (pulsing horn and hazard lamps) It also shuts down the ignition and starting system if the alarm was activated.

The dealer alarm will most likely add a couple extra sensors and an annoying siren instead of the vehicle horn. which in my opinion is not worth a couple hundred bucks..

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I did some digging in my glove box and found some small brochures that I didn't know I had for the installed alarm. Everyone is right, it seems that they added an electronic shock sensor, a valet button to disable the impact sensor if you give your car to a "valet" and I got a 3 year warranty that they will pay the difference on the payoff of my car and insurance if my car is stolen with the 3 years. Whoopie! What a great value I got. It sounded good when they sold the idea to me when I was signing 50 different papers.

What it actually says:
Current Features of Factory System: Keyless Entry, Panic Remote, Flashing Parking Lights, Dome Light Illumination, and Some Entry Points Protected.
Features Added Upon Upgrade: Electronic Shock Sensor, Factory Alarm Trigger upon Shock Violation, LED Indicator, Deductible Reimbursement Guarantee, and 3 Year New Car Replacement Guarantee.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi, everyone,

I also had the same question when I found this thread.

I recently purchased a 2011 sonata GLS. I tried to test the alarm but couldn't find a way to make it go off.

I locked the car with the keyless entry, then open the door with the key. No alarm.
I locked the car with the keyless entry when I am in the car, then I manually open the door, still no alarm.

Is there anyway to easily test the factory alarm? I'm still not sure if it came with one.

Thanks,
Andy

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
QUOTE (Andy Liu @ Oct 10 2010, 09:03 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=362519
Hi, everyone,

I also had the same question when I found this thread.

I recently purchased a 2011 sonata GLS. I tried to test the alarm but couldn't find a way to make it go off.

I locked the car with the keyless entry, then open the door with the key. No alarm.
I locked the car with the keyless entry when I am in the car, then I manually open the door, still no alarm.

Is there anyway to easily test the factory alarm? I'm still not sure if it came with one.

Thanks,
Andy
Hmmm that is a good question. You would think if you locked yourself inside and then manual opended the door it would go off as that would be like someone breaking in. I know breaking the window will do nothing as factory alarm doesn't have shock sensors and such.

So the manual says if you open the door with the key on the outside it disarms the system. So the only way to test is to lock yourself in and then manual unlocking the door. But the manual also says when you arm the system it has a 30 second period where the alarm will not go off if the door is opended. So when you try again lock yourself in for about a minute.

·
Registered
9 Posts
QUOTE (Souks @ Oct 11 2010, 09:30 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=362674
Hmmm that is a good question. You would think if you locked yourself inside and then manual opended the door it would go off as that would be like someone breaking in. I know breaking the window will do nothing as factory alarm doesn't have shock sensors and such.

So the manual says if you open the door with the key on the outside it disarms the system. So the only way to test is to lock yourself in and then manual unlocking the door. But the manual also says when you arm the system it has a 30 second period where the alarm will not go off if the door is opended. So when you try again lock yourself in for about a minute.
Hi Souks,

Thanks for your suggestions. I will try it later to confirm.

·
Registered
9 Posts
QUOTE (Andy Liu @ Oct 11 2010, 12:32 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=362753
Hi Souks,

Thanks for your suggestions. I will try it later to confirm.
Here is some follow up:

I still can't make the alarm go off. I brought in my car to a dealer today. The mechanism firstly told me this car didn't have an alarm. After I insisted him to double check and he made a couple phone calls, he confirmed that it should have the basic alarm and maybe it was not set correctly in my car.

I ended up leave my car at the dealer to let them fix it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts