Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am anxiously trying to get the best deal and find availability of a 2010 Ash Black; FWD; Tucson with the Popular Equipment package. I visited a local dealer recently, who asked me why I needed to have the Popular Equipment package and that he has several vehicles coming in without this package. He commented that not only will the price of the vehicle decrease by $1,700 without this package, but if I was really insistent on certain options with the PE package, that he could have them installed at the dealership. Not sure I like that idea or not, so i wanted to get your opinions. I guess I really need to review everything that comes with this package and see how important they really are. Blue Tooth capability comes to mind, but the dealer assures me that installation of blue tooth is one of the options that can be done at the dealership. What do you all think?

·
Registered
570 Posts
QUOTE (Frank1203 @ Apr 21 2010, 11:49 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=315305
I am anxiously trying to get the best deal and find availability of a 2010 Ash Black; FWD; Tucson with the Popular Equipment package. I visited a local dealer recently, who asked me why I needed to have the Popular Equipment package and that he has several vehicles coming in without this package. He commented that not only will the price of the vehicle decrease by $1,700 without this package, but if I was really insistent on certain options with the PE package, that he could have them installed at the dealership. Not sure I like that idea or not, so i wanted to get your opinions. I guess I really need to review everything that comes with this package and see how important they really are. Blue Tooth capability comes to mind, but the dealer assures me that installation of blue tooth is one of the options that can be done at the dealership. What do you all think?
Not in a million years would I trust a dealership with something as complex as that! He's just trying to sell you what he has, instead of doing his job and listening to his customer's wants! If he is unwilling to search for the vehicle you really want, I would suggest you search for a dealer that really wants your business.

Just my .02.

tim B)

·
Registered
21 Posts
I dont know...but I dont want a 3rd party putting in things. I am getting the package deal for sure. The bluetooth they put in most likely wont be on the steering wheel and integrated nicely. I think that is how the dealer makes his $$, by getting someone to install stuff and charging you a lot more $$ than he did for the installation.

Example is that there was a dealer option on this car I looked at on Saturday...some crazy waxing that adds a cost of $1000!!!

·
Registered
165 Posts
The dealers around me don't offer any dealer-installed options. They get what they order from the factory and some of those options (like auto-dimming mirror, wheel locks, etc) are installed at the port). I'd recommend searching other dealers around you to get the car you want with the options you want. They only come in a few varients anyway. If nobody has one, you should be able to order one through your dealer. That was an option through my dealer, although I lucked out and didn't have to do that.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
QUOTE (Todd Nicholson @ Apr 21 2010, 01:11 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=315348
The dealers around me don't offer any dealer-installed options. They get what they order from the factory and some of those options (like auto-dimming mirror, wheel locks, etc) are installed at the port). I'd recommend searching other dealers around you to get the car you want with the options you want. They only come in a few varients anyway. If nobody has one, you should be able to order one through your dealer. That was an option through my dealer, although I lucked out and didn't have to do that.
Thanks. What seems to be forgotten in all your replies is that if I choose to not go with a Tucson that has the PE package, then my overall price decreases by $1,700. If you've read my prior post, you know that money is an issue for me so I'm toying with the idea of not getting the PE package. Afetr reviewing the package items, I think the big deals are the Blue Tooth and the alloy wheels. What does everyone else think? Is the PE package really worth the $1,700??

·
Registered
14 Posts
QUOTE (Frank1203 @ Apr 21 2010, 03:47 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=315391
Thanks. What seems to be forgotten in all your replies is that if I choose to not go with a Tucson that has the PE package, then my overall price decreases by $1,700. If you've read my prior post, you know that money is an issue for me so I'm toying with the idea of not getting the PE package. Afetr reviewing the package items, I think the big deals are the Blue Tooth and the alloy wheels. What does everyone else think? Is the PE package really worth the $1,700??

I was in your shoes. I also wanted the PE package. I ended up getting the GLS without it. For me it wasn't worth it to spend the extra $1700. In my case I really wanted the bluetooth. However, because I was on a budget, I decided to go without it, and I haven't regretted it. I guess what I'm trying to say is, if money is an object, get the regular GLS. It comes pretty loaded already. Just my 0.02 cents.

·
Registered
570 Posts
QUOTE (Frank1203 @ Apr 21 2010, 03:47 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=315391
If that's truly ALL you want (need) out of it, then there are sooooo many options that you can have for your phone via bluetooth, from a new head-unit for your stereo to built-in to your personal navigation device. I had this on my TomTom (model Go 510) for years before I actually had a car with it built into the audio system. Is it comparable? No. Does it get the job done for a reasonable price? Absolutely. I truly had no issues with it, and it was nice to get in the car and not have to worry about getting my phone out if someone called me. The Hyundai unit is pretty sweet, especially with the steering wheel controls, but I'm at the age where I am looking for this to be the car that I will be driving when I retire in a few years, so I wanted everything on it to begin with.

Good luck with your decision. Let us know what you come up with!

tim B)

·
Registered
1,292 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
QUOTE (TimmyB @ Apr 21 2010, 08:49 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=315458
Ok everyone - here is a list of all the features that come with the Popular Equipment package. I would like your input as to what you consider really important (yes or absolutely yes) and also what you consider "nice to have (maybe), or not necessary (no)". Thanks.

Popular Equipment Package (Frank's Opinion)
Telescopic steering wheel (No); 17-inch alloy wheels (yes); Safety one-touch driver power window (yes); Leatherette bolster/cloth insert seats (no)
Leather-wrapped steering wheel & shift knob (no) / Bluetooth® hands-free phone system (absolutely yes) / Illuminated vanity mirrors & glovebox (maybe); Steering wheel audio controls (yes); Cruise control (maybe); Soft touch interior paint / Bodycolor door handles (maybe); Bodycolor heated mirrors (maybe) Side garnish (? not sure what that is); Privacy glass (maybe); Roof side rails (maybe); Engine cover (maybe)

Gosh! I only have 4 yes' !!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Ok everyone - here is a list of all the features that come with the Popular Equipment package. I would like your input as to what you consider really important (yes or absolutely yes) and also what you consider "nice to have (maybe), or not necessary (no)". Thanks.

Popular Equipment Package (Frank's Opinion)
Telescopic steering wheel (No); 17-inch alloy wheels (yes); Safety one-touch driver power window (yes); Leatherette bolster/cloth insert seats (no)
Leather-wrapped steering wheel & shift knob (no) / Bluetooth® hands-free phone system (absolutely yes) / Illuminated vanity mirrors & glovebox (maybe); Steering wheel audio controls (yes); Cruise control (maybe); Soft touch interior paint / Bodycolor door handles (maybe); Bodycolor heated mirrors (maybe) Side garnish (? not sure what that is); Privacy glass (maybe); Roof side rails (maybe); Engine cover (maybe)

Gosh! I only have 4 yes' !!

Frank- Gotta figure the wheels might take up the bulk of the cost of the popular package. I think you need to get your cost on the 4 "yes" options that you want. If you add in your 6 "maybes" you would see that the PEP is a pretty good deal. BTW, side garnish is the rubber protection along the bottom of the doors and worth it if you live in a snow area or are a clean car junkie like I am..........check the link below

http://www.hyundai-forums.com/t47507-side-garnish.htm

Good luck!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Recently bought a GLS with the package, here are my thoughts

Telescopic steering wheel - I can't live without it. If you have long legs, you'll be hunched over that wheel unless you can pull it toward you
17-inch alloy wheels - Not necessary to me. Mostly bling.
Safety one-touch driver power window - Nice for tolls, but I could live without it.
Leatherette bolster/cloth insert seats - The seats are pretty sweet. But purely bling.
Leather-wrapped steering wheel & shift knob - I like this... but have lived without it.
/ Bluetooth® hands-free phone system - Nice touch. But plenty of cheaper, versatile, more portable and upgradable options exist.
Illuminated vanity mirrors & glovebox - Not needed. I have a Miata without this.
Steering wheel audio controls - Pretty sweet. The reach to the tuning knobs is pretty far. The steering wheel controls are more necessary in the Tucson than in any other car I've owned. However.... you might find this in a nice aftermarket unit.
Cruise control - MUST have. Will never, never own a car without it. I take 3-4 long trips per year. However, there is the aftermarket...
Soft touch interior paint / Bodycolor door handles - not neccesary
Bodycolor heated mirrors - Had a VW Golf with them, in Minnesota weather for 7 years, and never once used these
Side garnish - Unclear to me too
; Privacy glass - the tint is pretty nice, especially to help keep the dark interior cool on a hot day
Roof side rails - If you are a roof rack guy, great. Otherwise a hitch is a more versatile option.
Engine cover - The engine cover in the Package is not that attractive. I honestly didn't even know it was there, it's that ugly.

All this made me think of something. If money is an object, why are you buying a new car? There is no question you'll be spending more, long term, than on a comparable used car. None. A recent CRV or RAV4 with 30k miles will deliver similar service life for far less. Not trying to lecture, but if my spouse hadn't demanded a new car and agreed to a 9-year ownerhsip, I would never have bought new.

Also, that dealer is trying to milk you. He'll make a mint on commissions by selling you dealer-installed options. Those are the most profitable items they sell besides scheduled maintenance. Tell him to check the inventory for what you want, or pound sand. Plenty of other folks will help you. But be careful not to shop on content. Shop on price instead.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
QUOTE (bryanska @ Apr 25 2010, 07:35 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=316752

Telescopic steering wheel - I can't live without it. If you have long legs, you'll be hunched over that wheel unless you can pull it toward you
Safety one-touch driver power window - Nice for tolls, but I could live without it.
Leatherette bolster/cloth insert seats - The seats are pretty sweet. But purely bling.
Leather-wrapped steering wheel & shift knob - I like this... but have lived without it.
/ Bluetooth® hands-free phone system - Nice touch. But plenty of cheaper, versatile, more portable and upgradable options exist.
Illuminated vanity mirrors & glovebox - Not needed. I have a Miata without this.
Steering wheel audio controls - Pretty sweet. The reach to the tuning knobs is pretty far. The steering wheel controls are more necessary in the Tucson than in any other car I've owned. However.... you might find this in a nice aftermarket unit.
Cruise control - MUST have. Will never, never own a car without it. I take 3-4 long trips per year. However, there is the aftermarket...
Bodycolor heated mirrors - Had a VW Golf with them, in Minnesota weather for 7 years, and never once used these
; Privacy glass - the tint is pretty nice, especially to help keep the dark interior cool on a hot day
Roof side rails - If you are a roof rack guy, great. Otherwise a hitch is a more versatile option.
Engine cover - The engine cover in the Package is not that attractive. I honestly didn't even know it was there, it's that ugly.

All this made me think of something. If money is an object, why are you buying a new car? There is no question you'll be spending more, long term, than on a comparable used car. None. A recent CRV or RAV4 with 30k miles will deliver similar service life for far less. Not trying to lecture, but if my spouse hadn't demanded a new car and agreed to a 9-year ownerhsip, I would never have bought new.

Also, that dealer is trying to milk you. He'll make a mint on commissions by selling you dealer-installed options. Those are the most profitable items they sell besides scheduled maintenance. Tell him to check the inventory for what you want, or pound sand. Plenty of other folks will help you. But be careful not to shop on content. Shop on price instead.
Thank for your detailed reply. First of all - money should be an object for everyone. What I really meant when I said it in one of my earlier posts, was that I am not impulsive and I don't want to overpay and am willing to be patient to get the right deal. After doing a lot of research, I have a good idea what I should pay for the new car and what my trade in is worth. Problem is - I can't find any dealer willing to meet my price because the demand is so high at this time. I love the car and thought that maybe if I did without the PE package, I could possibly get the kind of deal I'm looking for.

Your feedback on each of the options is very helpful to me. Since you own the car, you have first hand knowledge. I have really thought alot about the PE package, and I really like the Blue tooth, the tinted glass and the steering wheel controls. I must say that I am a sucker for the alloy wheels as I have that on my 2005 Tucson now. I'm also not crazy about doing things aftermarket.

I actually thought I had a deal about 2 weeks ago and then the dealer hit me at the last minute with another $500-$600 of options that I don't want or need, which broke the deal. I don't need that stuff! I did check with some other dealers as well and they all said the cars are coming in with those extra 5-6 options and that its basically impossible not to get a car with all those things. What a rip off and a way for the dealer to make extra money.

So, I am kind of in a holding pattern.. I am not a major rush to buy the car (even though I want it now), and I'm hoping for a future cash rebate or loyalty rebate in the near term. I have 5 dealers looking for the car without the extra options but I'm not optimistic.

If this doesn't pan out - then ultimately, I will either order the car without the PE package, or I wil suck it up and pay the extra money.

·
Registered
42 Posts
QUOTE (Frank1203 @ Apr 25 2010, 08:07 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=316772
Thank for your detailed reply. First of all - money should be an object for everyone. What I really meant when I said it in one of my earlier posts, was that I am not impulsive and I don't want to overpay and am willing to be patient to get the right deal. After doing a lot of research, I have a good idea what I should pay for the new car and what my trade in is worth. Problem is - I can't find any dealer willing to meet my price because the demand is so high at this time. I love the car and thought that maybe if I did without the PE package, I could possibly get the kind of deal I'm looking for.

Your feedback on each of the options is very helpful to me. Since you own the car, you have first hand knowledge. I have really thought alot about the PE package, and I really like the Blue tooth, the tinted glass and the steering wheel controls. I must say that I am a sucker for the alloy wheels as I have that on my 2005 Tucson now. I'm also not crazy about doing things aftermarket.

I actually thought I had a deal about 2 weeks ago and then the dealer hit me at the last minute with another $500-$600 of options that I don't want or need, which broke the deal. I don't need that stuff! I did check with some other dealers as well and they all said the cars are coming in with those extra 5-6 options and that its basically impossible not to get a car with all those things. What a rip off and a way for the dealer to make extra money.

So, I am kind of in a holding pattern.. I am not a major rush to buy the car (even though I want it now), and I'm hoping for a future cash rebate or loyalty rebate in the near term. I have 5 dealers looking for the car without the extra options but I'm not optimistic.

If this doesn't pan out - then ultimately, I will either order the car without the PE package, or I wil suck it up and pay the extra money.

Gotcha - I didn't give you the benefit of the doubt. Sorry about that.

Yeah, they kinda have you with these options. I've seen base Tucsons with the manual transmissions, but no GLS with auto and no option pkg. This is a tough scenario. You might find a demo model with 6-10k miles later this summer. Our local guy also has 2009 Limiteds for very cheap right now, but that's a different bird.

The tinted glass never works as well aftermarket, so I hear you. One stereo option is to wait a few years and pluck the goodies off Ebay. But a whole OEM Bluetooth install might be too much for that... although if you are handy, you could probably do it. Or, do any other Hyundais use the same stereo & controls? Could you pull from, say, a wrecked 2009 Sonata?

The good news is, there's no screaming APR that will expire soon. So you have time. And if the salespeople are reminded every couple weeks, they'll keep looking.

·
Registered
838 Posts
QUOTE (bryanska @ Apr 25 2010, 07:35 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=316752

IMO, Based on my previous 2005 Tucson LX, & other vehicles I've owned, the PE package is worth it, in my area most Tucsons don't come with it :( I'm also waiting to see a Kiwi green, or Graphite gray one in real life so I can decide what to order. It will be a GLS AWD with the PE package either way.

1) The telescoping wheel is pretty important to me, bryanska stated why

2) The alloy wheels are lighter then steel wheels, providing unsprung weight, & won't rust (I've had this happen before, not good). Plus they are classier.

3) One touch driver window, once you've had it, you'll miss it.

4) Leatherette seats, are more durable, and give you some wiggle comfort, without the usual sticking to your backside, (I wish they were all leather, but don't wanna spend the money for the Limited)

5) Leather wrapped wheel, & shifter, better then a cold hard plastic wheel, & shifter, plus have you ever had a smooth plastic wheel slip out of your hands? I have NG.

6) Bluetooth, great idea, welcome to the 21st century

7) Illuminated vanity mirrors, & glove box, it should be standard, they're handy at times, besides the car seems cheap without them.

8) Steering wheel controls, Sweet, once you've had them, you can't live without them.

9) Cruise control, a must have for me

10) Body colored door handles, & mirrors, better then basic standard blackout ones

11) Heated mirrors, very handy, esp. in NE PA. winters, used them all the time in my 2005 Tucson LX

12) Side garnish? don't know what this means?

13) Privacy tinted glass, very important to me, no easy looks into my vehicle, plus keeps the sun glare out, while keeping it cooler. a good thing.

14) Roof rails, come in handy, plus the car looks cheap, (unfinished?) without them.

15) Engine cover? no opinion, I don't know what it looks like.

·
Registered
165 Posts
The only annoying thing about the lighted glove box is that the lights must be on for the glove box to illuminate when opened. It's stupid that the glove box light won't come on unless the lights are turned on.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
I would recommend you either break down and go for the PE option or maybe wait a few months for a low mileage turn in? Or possibly a rebate or incentive program. If you try to weight out the options for the extra 1700.00 you get a load of extras and is well worth the extra $$ if you can stretch it. See what play they will give you off sticker and deal from that end of it, you can also check surrounding dealers. I also heard of a guy here who purchased one through Costco new car buyers program and saved a few extra bucks on the deal.

·
Registered
165 Posts
That was me. Bought my AWD LTD through the Costco Auto Program. Member price was 1000.00 below MSRP. Definitely worth looking into if you're a Costco member.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts