Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I drive a 2003 Hyundai Sonata with 117,000 miles on it.
2 yrs ago we installed a hydrogen fuel efficiency unit in the car. However, it kept on blowing the safety fuse, so it has been disconnected shortly after (2 months) and never used since.
However, when installed, we had to bypass the O2 sensor so as not to get a false read and ever since I suspect that the O2 sensors are not happy.
The car recently got a tune-up and a new head gasket: it is overall well-maintained. I live in Baja, Mexico now, and the roads are rough and very dusty here. Recently the engine light kept coming on and stays on. My mechanic keeps clearing it or washing the entire area under the hood from all the dust.
The car runs fine and there is no foul smelling exhaust. Still, I decided to go to another technician (at a local dealership) to diagnose it and he found that the cat converter needs replacing.
Here, in Mexico, the quality of gasoline is really poor, so I use Premium only and always add a high-end fuel injection cleaner - just a little with each tank load. Should I really start shopping for a cat converter, or just replace the O2 sensors? One was replaced 2 years ago ( the upstream one).... Any suggestions - I would be really grateful. :liebe011:

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
So you live in Baja, had a hydrogen generator, burn Mexican gas, use premium, use injector cleaner too much, replaced the head gasket, etc. Sounds like you burned up your rig pretty good. Sounds like a recipe for burnt O2 sensors. The only way to know about the cat is to take it off and look inside, but my guess is it's burnt too. I'd lay off the injector cleaner if I were you. And use regular gas if it still runs okay.

You live in Mexico, so why bother fixing the cat?

If it runs ok, just do a bulb-ectomy on the cel and keep on truckin. Problem solved.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
QUOTE (jsinton @ Jul 24 2010, 01:26 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=344407
So you live in Baja, had a hydrogen generator, burn Mexican gas, use premium, use injector cleaner too much, replaced the head gasket, etc. Sounds like you burned up your rig pretty good. Sounds like a recipe for burnt O2 sensors. The only way to know about the cat is to take it off and look inside, but my guess is it's burnt too. I'd lay off the injector cleaner if I were you. And use regular gas if it still runs okay.

You live in Mexico, so why bother fixing the cat?

If it runs ok, just do a bulb-ectomy on the cel and keep on truckin. Problem solved.

Thanks a bunch, jsinton,

'By 'rig' you mean the O2 sensors? I don't have the diagnostic code - the guy did not give it to me... but we had 'misfire' reads on our cheap hand-held diagnostics last year when my engine light came on...Since then I did replace the spark plugs...

You are right, just replace both O2 sensors and have a muffler shop check on the cat: let them do whatever they do to their own cars down here, to handle all the dust... :innocent:
I was starting to get concerned about the engine light being on - I was driving with it on for 4 months now...

Thanks, again, for the fast reply - :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts