Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I haven't been able to replace the breaklight light bulb myself, for like never. Since I got the car. I been to the dealer 3 times to have the lightbulb replaced because I couldn't do it. it was too hard, and it was stuck. I thought this was very easy. However, went to the dealership last week and they said I needed the whole light assembly replaced, both of them. They were melted or warped somehow. I called, Hyundai corporation and the dealer worked with me as my warranty has expired, I have 73,000 on the 2013 sonata. Thoughts?:frown:

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
The housing for my left tail light melted and warped the socket the bulb would sit in and it wouldn't fit anymore. Hyundai replaced it for free cause I was under warranty.

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
My tail light sockets were definitely in rough shape and dimensionally imperfect. Had to repair mod them a little when I replaced the bulbs with LED.
Switched to LED's hopefully for less heat melting/warping.

Bulb sockets are available on ebay and some autopart stores. Not sure how a bulb socket can get stuck in the taillight assembly. But, with this manufacturer, anything can happen.
Salvage yard and ebay are worth searching for replacement assemblies/housings. BTW, be careful with used parts as these assemblies don't always fit flush and tend to break/crack on demand. Might be better off overpaying for those fancy Korean LED taillight conversions that some use(also on ebay).

Sylvania Zevo:
Sylvania ZEVO 2357RLEDBP2 - LED Mini Bulb | O'Reilly Auto Parts
Sylvania original:
Sylvania LED Brake Light Mini Bulb 2357RSYLLED - Read Reviews on Sylvania LED #2357RSYLLED

·
Registered
6,734 Posts
Might be better off overpaying for those fancy Korean LED taillight conversions that some use(also on ebay).
Be careful with those - on the cheap ones, the circuit boards can burn out and since the bulbs are not replaceable, you are stuck buying new assemblies (or going back to OEM/aftermarket).

·
Registered
250 Posts
Wow, hiway robbery. Call a junkyard or buy new off Rock Auto. If you're handy you can get it out and take a hot soldering iron or a knife or something even a hot knife and cut that bulb loose. Then you can just a epoxy or superglue it back in place and it'll probably last the life of the car. It's not the kind of thing it has to be in there totally perfect by any stretch

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sorry about the 3 year late update. So this is what happened. I fought with the dealership, told them I had taken the car in to have the lights replaced many times. Both back break lights. They argued with me but we came to an agreement. the supervisor called the corporation. they agreed to pay half. I had both tail light assemblies replaced. left and right. the entire thing. I paid 289 for it. Hyundai corporation paid the rest. its 2020, so far haven't had a problem. I argued with them that it was a factory defect and those were cheap. But they didn't care. I guess it worked out for my 2013 sonata.

·
Registered
79 Posts
We appreciate your follow up, even if it is 3 year later lol. Consider it a long term evaluation which we should all appreciate. I agree Hyundai should have stepped up and replaced the assemblies under warranty. My experience with Hyundai is they are very stingy on about what they will and will not replace under warranty. They tend to chalk everything up to either owner abuse or improper maintenance. Glad your tail light assemblies are working good for you the past 3 years! I share similar experiences with you regarding Hyundai and their warranty and frankly I'll never buy another Hyundai because of it. Cheers!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts