Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
911 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an issue now on my 123k mile 2012. I start it and the tachometer is dead, does not do a thing. The engine is running but stuttering badly with a very uneven idle like it is about to quit. Happens about 1 out of 10 starts, but is becoming more frequent. Each time this happened up to a point, I shut it off for a second, restart and the tach is fine and the engine runs normally. Then, this past weekend, it took 4 or 5 tries to get it running normally again. Once, after driving at 80 on the Interstate for 12 minutes, as the engine reduced to idle when exiting the highway, suddenly it was in this failure mode (tach zero, engine sputtering). I pulled over, re-started and all was fine. But it is getting more frequent.

Anyone have this or something similar in the past? Any ideas? Please????

Thanks

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm experiencing the same symptoms with our 2013 Elantra Limited. Were you ever able to determine what the problem was? Thanks.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Likely crank position sensor

·
Registered
7 Posts
Okay, thanks S-petersen.
Just replaced crank position sensor and we'll see what happens. (y)

·
Registered
911 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry, just seeing this now. YES! The great news is that it was the crank position sensor!!! VERY easy fix. I forget how much it was, but since I do not remember, that means it was not expensive.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts