Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've heard and read all about the weak **** horn on my Sonata SE. Has anyone else had theirs simply stop working all together? I knew it was weak, but ****. Car has 400 miles on it and it doesn't do anything at all. I checked the fuse, it is good. And the relay is clicking when i hit it on the steering wheel. Maybe the actually horn is bad? I wonder if the dealer would replace it with something better...

Any other ideas on why this is happening? thanks!

·
SENIOR MODERATOR
9,284 Posts
Horn fuse should be in the under-hood fuse box.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok so i used the key fob and the panic mode sounds the horn. when i click lock twice or something like that, it does not chirp the horn though. and like i said, pushing the horn on the steering wheel doesn't sound the horn. is this a dual element horn or something? it looks like just one horn, but i don't really know.

·
SENIOR MODERATOR
9,284 Posts
AFAIK, there are actually three horns; two work in unison for the standard horn and one little one for the confirmation chirp.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Not sure if Hyundai's are like Dodge but for Dodge the horn, cruise control was tied into the clockspring in the steering wheel so when it goes bad you loose horn and cruise control. Had mine replaced on my old Caravan. Worth checking to see if the cruise light comes on when you turn on cruise. But again it could be something only Dodge does, but worth a look.

·
Registered
486 Posts
>>>>>AFAIK, there are actually three horns; two work in unison for the standard horn and one little one for the confirmation chirp.>>>>

Actually the 2011 Sonata has only ONE horn from the factory, (until you upgrade with replacements) and another for the alarm.

Replacing The Stock Horn

http://www.hyundai-forums.com/t46411-repla...-stock-horn.htm

[attachment=19876:horn3.jpg]

Attachments

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
According to the service invoice, the tech found that the LOW HORN IS NOT WORKING (at about 500 mi). They have to order me a whole new horn. It's part# is 96610-3K001. I wish I could get that credit toward an aftermarket horn, or maybe a horn from a junkyard! Just a shame I have to replace that stupid factory horn anyway but have to replace it with the same stupid one. Anyone know if this is the "moped" horn or the "new & improved" horn?

·
Registered
486 Posts
Why wouldn't you insist that they give you labor credit for replacing the factory horn and you just hand them a new, preferred horn?
I'd be willing to pay for extra time for them to modify any wiring - connection issues.
Worth a try!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts