Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I've had this issue a few times recently. Maybe 3 times now in the past 5 weeks or so. I wanted to see if anyone could give insight on it.

A few times starting the Santa Fe, I've noticed that the brake pedal feels "dead", as if the brakes were pumped a few times when the car was off. It's not down to the floor, but feel halfway dead. I'm still able to depress it and start it up, and the brakes come back to life and feel great while driving.

Again, it's only happened a few times, so it hasn't really worried me. I'm just remembering to post and ask about it.

Thoughts?

(FWD, 7,000 miles)

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
When you say pumped a few times and down to the floor, not sure that is the correct description, unless you're thinking of something else. In my experience, when you pump the brakes when the car is off, the brake pedal becomes very stiff, to the point where you can hardly depress it at all, until you start the car.

Anyway, does sound odd. Have not noticed this in mine, but will try to remember to check mine next time I drive. Is it possible that you have a slow leak of brake fluid somewhere? Did you check the levels?

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the brake pedal becomes very stiff, to the point where you can hardly depress it at all, until you start the car.

...Is it possible that you have a slow leak of brake fluid somewhere? Did you check the levels?
That's what's going on, except the pedal still has a little play in it, but it is stiff and heavy... until I start the car.

Also, no signs of any leakage anywhere.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I have SFS 2.0T, but I have also experienced it a few times. Every time it happened, I could still press the brake pedal a little, and that was enough to turn on the engine. Just like your case, as soon as the engine started, the pedal became normal. I may be too optimistic, but I have not worried about it.

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
Oh, ok, I misinterpreted your description I suppose.

Given that is what is happening, as far as I am concerned, this is normal. I suspect by pumping with no power to regulate the pressure, it just rises in the system somehow, but I am only guessing. Fact is, I have done this on past vehicles with the same result. It's always gone back to normal as soon as the car is powered on and engine running.

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
Checked mine tonight. Pumped it about 3 or 4 times before I could barely move it due to the pressure. Started the care and instantly back to normal. This is exactly how the brakes on my previous vehicles have behaved.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Luck11, reading your posts, I am now thinking that I might have pressed the brake unconsciously when I parked and turned off my car. So when I returned and pressed the brake to start the car, I ended up "pumping" the brake.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Checked mine tonight. Pumped it about 3 or 4 times before I could barely move it due to the pressure. Started the care and instantly back to normal. This is exactly how the brakes on my previous vehicles have behaved.
Right, but my issue is that my brake sometimes feels dead when I get into the car, touching the brake for the first time.

I think Quixote may be right... thinking back, those may have been times that I pulled into my house, turned the car off, but left the brake depressed as I finished a call or something. I'll have to try to replicate it.

·
Registered
870 Posts
Mine does it too, sometimes. It's not often and only when it's cold. I bought it in January and felt that until spring came, never felt at all during summer, now it's starting again. Perhaps 3 or 4 times in a week. It just gets stiff but as soon as I start the car, it's normal again. I didn't mention to the dealer at all but was going to when I get an oil change next month.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Mine does it too, sometimes. It's not often and only when it's cold. I bought it in January and felt that until spring came, never felt at all during summer, now it's starting again. Perhaps 3 or 4 times in a week. It just gets stiff but as soon as I start the car, it's normal again. I didn't mention to the dealer at all but was going to when I get an oil change next month.
What you describe is not "normal". Again, it sounds like a vacuum, leak down. I suspect the power brake booster, the drum like vacuum tank that sits right behind the brake master-cylinder. Have your dealer check the vacuum hose check valve on the brake power booster.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts